2013 Ford F-150 accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 132017

F-150

The weather was approximately 25-29 degrees F. I remote started the truck and it ran for about 10 minutes before I got in the truck to drive. I drove about 100 feet and heard a very loud bang. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw that my driver side rear window had shattered. My first thought was that something hit it, so I got out and looked and there were no chips or a spot where the crack started. The window just broke for no apparent reason. I have a rear sliding window with defrost. I was driving approximately 20 mph when it happened inside of the city, just a little way from my house.

- Edinburgh, IN, USA

Jan 082017

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the rear window shattered while the defroster was activated. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The dealer was unable to diagnose and repair the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 71,000.

- Cyclone, WV, USA

Dec 232016

F-150

The vehicle was in my driveway. I remote started it. 10 minutes later I entered vehicle and inserted key and turned on the vehicle. 10 seconds later I heard a loud pop and what sounded like leaves rustling, very slowly. It was 5 am and dark, Friday Dec 23rd, so I drove to a lit parking lot to see what happened. I noticed the rear glass behind the driver's seat was shattered. It was around 30F. there are a lot of instances of this happening with Ford pickups.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Dec 192016

F-150

Just bought my truck and I auto started it with defrost set to auto. I got in and heard a loud pop only to see my window shattered. Nothing hit it. Took it to Ford and they wont cover it. I got online and saw hundreds of complaints of the same thing happening to a lot of people. This should be a safety recall. What if my kids were in my truck!

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Dec 192016

F-150

Started the truck to defrost windows on a cold morning. Both the front defroster and rear window defroster were turned on. It ran for about 10 minutes before I started driving to work. About 5 minutes into my drive I heard a loud pop. I couldn't figure out what happened. It was still dark outside at the time and when I arrived at my work, the parking lot lights revealed that my back drivers side window had shattered. I did notice on my drive that the rear defroster had turned off which it normally doesn't but I didn't put it together that the pop and the defroster were connected.

- O'fallon, MO, USA

Dec 152016

F-150

Used remote start to warm vehicle and the 1/3 of the rear glass (the driver's side) exploded and spidered. Research shows this is a common problem and likely due to faulty defroster. Ford doesn't part out the glass so the entire rear window needs to be replaced at a cost of over $650. My vehicle is garaged when at home and is in excellent condition with only 51400 miles. Since it is over 36000 miles, Ford won't do anything or assist with costs.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Nov 272016

F-150

Was heading to work around 750 a.M. and heard a loud pop, like a rock hitting a window. I checked all my windows and noticed my back driver side window was busted. At the time, I had my rear defroster on. I did not hit a pothole prior or during the event. I was traveling about 60 M.P.H.

- Seymour, IN, USA

Oct 302016

F-150 6-cyl

Started truck with remote(fob), yesterday morning. I needed to defrost my windows as well. On my way to work, twenty minutes later, I heard what sounded like a gun blast. I thought someone had shot my truck or threw a rock. I looked in my rearview window and the rear driver side window was shattered. I pulled into a parking lot and no signs of impact by a foreign object. The window was completely shattered. After researching this, I see that this seems to be a defective defroster contributing to spontaneous shattering of rear windows on the F150. I called the dealer and they're giving me "I've never heard of this" I'm not buying it. Also, if this had happened today, my small child would have been sitting right there. This is not okay and Ford should repair these for customers.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Oct 252016

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

During the start up of my 2013 Ford F-150, I proceeded to utilize the rear defroster to get the ice off the rear window. The rear window is comprised of 3 panels of glass, one on each side and the sliding window in the center. Last week, the rear defroster worked intermittently, after several attempts at depressing the button it would eventually turn on, not a week later it does not work at all. Thinking it was possibly the fuse or a problem with the button itself, I searched online to find out if there was something I could do, and found that this is a common issue and requires replacement of the entire back glass and that some had this covered under warranty. I called the Ford dealership and talked to the repair department and was told by the manager that he has the same vehicle and the same problem and that the only way to get the rear defrost to work is to replace the entire back glass and that the cost is around $2200. Searching online on the F150 forum boards finds that this is a common problem and the fix is replacement of the entire backglass. Because my vehicle has 50,000 miles and is past the 36,000 miles of the warranty it is not Ford problem. As this is a safety issue (visibility through back glass) I searched on the governments recall website here and found similar complaints and that many have also experienced the windowing cracking, spidering and exploding when using which tells me do not turn on the rear defrost for fear of a broken window exploding while im driving. This is a safety hazard as it distorts and skews my vision and ability to see out of it safely until I can attempt to have Ford rectify this issue.

- Manitowoc, WI, USA

Oct 032016

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, there was a loud bang noise coming from the vehicle. The contact discovered that the driver side rear panel window shattered. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000.

- Concord, NC, USA

Aug 222016

F-150

While opening the sunroof it binds on passenger side and does not open. The sunroof was to be manually manipulated to close while holding down the motor button. Ford has issued a tsb, but if this is a widespread problem, a recall should be issued.

- Beaver, WV, USA

Aug 092016

F-150

Went out to truck one afternoon and the driver side back window was completely shattered. No previous damage or cracks. No apparent damage to vehicle or marks on window. Window was bowed slightly outward with a "crack" going from one corner to the other through the spider webbing. Weather has been quite warm recently, appears to be a stress fracture most likely due to temperature.

- Lehi, UT, USA

Apr 262016

F-150

A crack appeared on 4/26/16 beginning at the lower seal of the windshield, and extending about 8" upward. The crack was first noted after the vehicle was stationary for approximately 4 hours. There are no nicks present that might indicate this was caused by road debris.

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Mar 122016

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. Without warning, the windshield wiper blades failed to shut off and damaged the windshield. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the windshield wiper motor prematurely failed. The part was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 22,000. Updated 05/11/16

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Mar 242016

F-150

It snowed some last night, this morning I started my truck and attempted to turn on the rear window defroster, but the light would not turn on. (I have the 3 panel window with a sliding rear window in the center) after some investigation online, I cannot convince myself to try and use the defroster again because of the risk of the window exploding. Now not being able to use the defroster is also causing a visibility issue when the window fogs up. It makes it very difficult to switch lanes and merge. It requires a lot of trust in the side mirrors which do not provide enough visibility to make the safest decisions when merging in traffic. My truck was stationary when I was trying to get the rear defroster/defogger to turn on, and I attempted several times, including shutting the engine off and starting it again. Ford should know of this problem with all the complaints on forums and several dealers know of this issue as well. Ford will not cover parts for this because they say its a part of the glass, which is not covered in warranty. I am writing this in hope to get NHTSA to review these windows before mine may implode and cause glass to shatter all over the back seat which may have people in it when it could occur.

- Manhattan, KS, USA

Jan 252016

F-150

Back window shattered when remote start was turned on.

- Grosse Ile, MI, USA

Mar 052016

F-150

3/5/16: After starting my 2013 F150 XLT remotely to warm up, I proceeded to back down my driveway. I heard a loud pop which startled me enough to stop thinking I may have hit something (I did not). Upon inspection, I found the drivers side portion of the three piece sliding rear window was shattered. I looked online and found this to be a common occurence linked to the rear defroster.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Mar 062016

F-150

I was sitting stationary at a red light in sugar land, Texas. I had the rear window defroster on, and I heard a loud "pop", almost like a gunshot. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw my driver side rear window was shattered. Upon further checking, there was no external damage to the window. After reading numerous posts online, it appears there is an issue with this occurring. I believe the rear window defroster heated the glass too much, causing the window to shatter. Pieces of glass fell into my daughter's carseat. Had she been sitting there, she would have been covered in glass.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Feb 112016

F-150

Drivers side section of the rear sliding glass (there are 3 sections of glass) has imploded into hundreds of small pieces of glass. The glass is still holding in place, but it would not take much to make it collapse. Nothing hit the glass or put it in a bind. Normal street/highway driving. The vehicle was stationary/parked when the implosion occurred.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Feb 182016

F-150

Intermittent problems with the rear defrost last couple of months. Then, last night, the temperature was about 20F. I turned rear defrost on and the light for the defroster went out and wouldn't turn back on. A couple of minutes later, I heard a loud bang from the back and the passenger's side stationary window pane was shattered.

- Winnebago, IL, USA