2013 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Apr 122014

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Upon accelerating from a stop 4or 5 loud knocking sounds were heard and felt, and engine power loss was experienced. I let off throttle to reduce knocking sound, which sounded like turbo wastegate possibly, and engine shook and had reduced power for several miles. Temperature outside was warm and dry. I had been driving vehicle for over an hour before problem. It has had reduced power and minor shaking before, but nothing like this. Fortunately no other vehicles were coming. I do notice wastegate popping off on short, steep hills more lately. I have the ecoboost engine. Have not been to dealer yet, but have appt soon.

- Ellsworth, KS, USA

Apr 212014

F-150 6-cyl

During acceleration to highway speed during rainy weather my truck exhibited a power loss. The check engine light started to flash and the engine looses power and the vehicle decelerated. This has occurred 2 times since I have owned this vehicle (since December 2013). I have the truck in the shop now for another issue and have informed the dealer of the incidents but have not heard back from them.

- Alabaster, AL, USA

Aug 242013

F-150 6-cyl

During acceleration to pass a car, my truck exhibited a power loss. The check engine light starts flashing and the engine looses power and the truck decelerates. This has now happened 6 times in various conditions. In 3 instances the engine almost stalled. It continued to stutter until I put the truck in park, shut the engine off and restarted. Twice, this has happened in Chicago traffic while merging onto the highway and resulted in a very dangerous situation. I have taken my truck to the dealer 4 times but they say no computer codes were recorded. I have contacted Ford but the regional customer service manager says she has never heard of anyone with this problem before. They refuse to do anything about it and told me to continue to take my truck to the dealer when these issues occur. My truck is now 9 months old with 13,000 miles on it. The most recent occurrence was in March of this year.

- Granger, IN, USA

Dec 162013

F-150

While making a long commute to portland or. From seattle wa., very early in the morning. It was a very rainy night, and I was trying to pass a semi who was struggling to go up a hill, as I pushed the pedal to pass him quickly, the truck shuddered, then lost all power and the check engine light was blinking. I avoided the truck and other traffic as I limped the truck to the side of the road. I then turned the truck off and it worked as it should. Light stayed on for a week or more. I very easily could have gotten in a major accident that morning, and I still have issues with my engine light coming on all the time. Off to the dealer I go. 2013 F-150 3.5L ecoboost. Less than 1200 mi. On vehicle. Not cool.

- Lakebay , WA, USA

Mar 072014

F-150 6-cyl

While entering traffic, form a standing start, the truck accelerated fine until such time as it reached approximately 65 klm/hr. Or approx. 40 miles per hour, wherein it lost power dramatically. It did not stall, or lose power steering, or brakes, but there was absolutely no power whatsoever to the drive train. None.this happened on a two lane highway, where the speed limit is 80 klm/hr. Or 45 miles per hour. There had been on coming traffic headed West, and I was turning East, a left turn. The on coming traffic was a ways away, so I had lots of time as far as the East bound traffic was concerned, but upon making the East bound lane the truck lost power. There was a semi bearing down on me headed East, so I left the road. The semi passed me without incident, but just barely. Once at the side of the road I noticed a wrench icon on the dash. I turned the engine off, waited a few minutes, turned it back on and was able to drive on. I live in Ontario, Canada. I have used my sister's address for your form. I hope you do not mind?

- Mono, Ontario, CA, USA

Dec 212013

F-150 6-cyl

I was driving in humble while it was raining and I accelerated to get over to the next lane. When I tried to accelerate my truck started to lose power and the engine light started blinking and the engine shuttered. I then let go of the gas pedal and pulled over and killed the truck. When I cranked the truck bank on the engine light was off and the truck drove fine.

- Diboll, TX, USA

Jan 092014

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while merging into the highway, the transmission warning lamp illuminated as the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 4,400.

- Houston , TX, USA

Nov 062013

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the accelerator failed to respond to acceleration attempts as the check engine warning light illuminated intermittently. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle erroneously decelerated when the accelerator pedal was being depressed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 3,400.

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Aug 312013

F-150 8-cyl

The truck I bought has been shaking since the day I picked it up and brought it home. At 55 mph the truck has a distinct wobble. It has been back to sharpnack Ford twice for the problem and I was told they drove four other trucks on their lot and they all do the same thing. Also they took the tires off of mine and swapped them with another truck with the same result. I was told they took the drive shaft apart and rebuilt it, still no fix. After two times back to the shop, I was told by the head mechanic that Ford told him no more repairs will be done to this truck. I can see the bed wobble as I am going down the road and am confident this is where the problem is. Ford is not willing to do anything about it claiming the frequency is within specification limits. I have also driven a 2012 and a 2013 and both of them do the same thing. I'm not sure this is a problem that will cause imminent danger to anyone unless you factor in the"road rage" someone will have after paying 45K for a brand new piece of garbage that the manufacturer refuses to do anything about to fix.

- New London, OH, USA

Oct 132013

F-150

I took my 2013 Ford F-150 with the ecoboost engine on a week long vacation down to South Texas (approx. 1200 miles or 17.5 hours one way) it was sunny and warm the entire trip down and the vehicle ran great. However on the way back up to Iowa in was raining as soon as we left and only let up raining for 20 min increments the entire way home. About 5 hours in we pulled off the interstate to get gas and eat. We got back in the vehicle and proceeded to get on the on ramp and return to the interstate. I was going about 40 mph with smooth acceleration when I gave my truck a little bit of gas to merge into the 75mph traffic. My truck did not move, instead it continued to go 40mph and revved up to redline. I had to let off of the gas completely and put my foot back on it and slowly climb up to 65mph. The truck started shaking horribly and my check engine light started to flash. After about 45 seconds the check engine light stopped flashing and the engine stopped shaking. I then could make very slight speed increments. I could not however step on the gas to pass somebody without the truck revving up to redline and shaking again. This happened every time I tried to accelerate quickly the rest of the way back (12.5 hours). The truck runs great until it is introduced to 70mph interstate driving in heavy rain for long periods of time.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Oct 032013

F-150 6-cyl

3.5L ecoboost engine. Went to merge on highway, pressed accelerator, engine stumbled, pressed further on accelerator, engine stumbled, loss of power, check engine light flashing, violent shaking when trying to accelerate to safe speed on -ramp, light went out after a period of 1 - 2 minutes. Had to pull off side of road to avoid traffic as I was unable to accelerate. This was the second incident for this truck. Ford engineering to my service department that there was no fix but they were aware of the issue.

- Wilder, KY, USA

Jul 172013

F-150 8-cyl

At or aroung 500 miles on my brand new 2013 Ford F150 svt raptor a message come up on the 4.2 incd lcd that read "check fuel inlet". I was at a gas station putting gas in my truck and while I was pumping gas I called harbin Ford and spoke with a service rep. And told them what had come up on the lcd. The service rep. Told me to open the back door and look under the back seat on driver side and there should be a white funnel looking object about 6 inches long. I pulled up at my home and parked my truck under our carport which has 2 open walls and another to enter the carport. On the North end the carport is supported by 3 steel poles which holds the carport up which is attached to our house. I placed my truck in (P) park and left the engine running, my mother was outside about 10 feet from my truck. And I thought before I got in my truck that maybe I should try the funnel deal mentioned earlier in this description. So I just opened the back door because the front was already open because I left my truck running and it was in the (P) position but I got the funnel and opened the fuel door and started sticking the funnel in and out repeating several times. And about the 2nd or 3rd time sticking the funnel in and out of the fuel inlet my truck acted like someone had placed my truck in reverse and it started coming in reverse. My mother seen this and she screamed at me to get out of the way and I just seen a opening between the doors and I somehow ended up in the driver seat and I hit the brake and to disbelief I looked at the driver side door and it was almost ripped completely off and the driver side fender was also crinkled up from the door catching on the last pole exiting our carport. I looked over at the auto transmission and the truck was still in park?

- Scottsboro, AL, USA

Aug 272013

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the engine light illuminated and the vehicle would not accelerate. The contact stopped the vehicle on the shoulder of the road and was able to regain acceleration. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000.

- Pine Plains, NY, USA

Aug 192013

F-150 6-cyl

After driving about 200 miles at 65mph in the rain, I accelerated quickly to pass a vehicle and my 2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost truck seemed to lose power/stall and I could no longer accelerate. The engine light flashed for several minutes while this was happening and after several minutes (probably 2-3), power was restored and the engine light went off.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 182013

F-150

I drove my F150 for a short distance of maybe 3 miles, shut it off, entered the post office for approximately 5 minutes, drove the truck across the street for a distance of maybe 1/4 mile, shut it off and went into a business for maybe 5 minutes. Upon starting the truck to return home it would not shift into drive. I looked at the instrument panel and saw the rpms to be over 3000. I did not hear the engine revving due to ac blower noise. I checked the accelerator to see if anything was touching it and nothing was near the accelerator. I shut the truck off, restarted, and it performed normally. Other issues: 1) several months ago the radio would not turn on while driving and when I shut the truck off the outside temperature display along with the date/time display was flashing symbols instead of displaying alpha-numeric characters. Upon restarting the truck the display returned to normal and the radio functioned normally. 2) when applying full throttle the engine basically stalls which can be somewhat hazardous when entering an interstate highway with a short entrance ramp and heavy traffic. I mention all of these items because in my opinion they would point to computer issues on the ecoboost.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Aug 092013

F-150 6-cyl

I was traveling on the highway behind a truck towing a big camper. When I got a chance to try and pass him I got over to go around him and went to accelerate and my truck lost all power (check engine light started flashing) and I had to apply brake hard to slow back down to get back behind the truck. Luckily there was not anyone behind me so I was able to get back over. I had to pull over and set and the check engine light finally went out and truck started running fine. I took my truck into Ford and they say nothing is wrong with it. This is a 2013 F150 with the ecoboost 3.5 engine with less than 11K miles. I'm afraid to even drive it now.

- Rittman, OH, USA

Aug 012013

F-150 6-cyl

While attempting to pass a semi truck after driving a constant speed of 65 in arizonas humid monsoon season, under hard acceleration my F150 had a sudden loss of power along with a very strange shudder and loud revving sound. After I let off the accelerator and pulled behind the semi I was attempting to pass (due to on coming traffic), the truck ran normal. The dealership was unable duplicate the issue. The conditions were different the day of test drive and the truck was not driven at highway speeds for nearly as long. This could be a very serious issue that needs resolved immediately.

- Bagdad , AZ, USA

Feb 012013

F-150 6-cyl

I purchased my 2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost in December 2012. The first incident occurred in approximately March 2013. It was raining. I was accelerating from a stop light where I had made a complete stop. I could not gain speed very well. The engine light was flashing. The engine was sputtering/popping and the whole truck was shaking violently. The same has occurred ever since on more than a dozen occasions and at various speeds. However, each time was while it was raining. Never has had a problem in fair weather. I experience a total loss of power, many times when on the interstate or while trying to overcome a vehicle. The front-end lurches, I lose speed dramatically, the engine shakes violently when I accelerate. The engine sputters and sounds like it doesn't know whether to choke out or blow up. The engine light flashes for approximately 1 minute each time. Almost sounds like a misfire. Happens several times during one trip often, but always when it rains. Continuous occurrences and beginning to become more frequent. Have taken my truck to 2 dealerships, neither of which can detect any dtcs or any other problem. Offer no advice other than to keep driving it until the engine light stays on permanently. They have no idea what causes the problem. I am really afraid that the problem may result in a motor vehicle accident. Have not had one yet, but have a had a couple of incidents where I had to pull over to avoid an accident. Problem is so persistent that I am considering trading vehicles, especially since I have been offered no remedy for the problem. I have also filed a complaint with Ford Motor Co. On 07/30/2013.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Jul 042013

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

While driving South on hwy 87 South toward southport, nc near sandyfield, close to the hyw 11 intersection, I performed a hard acceleration to pass a slow moving vehicle when I experienced a sudden loss of power immediately followed by shaking. If the vehicle I was passing was going faster than 50 mph I would not have made it around him. While I did not stop, I did slow the vehicle to under 50 mph to which the engine light stopped flashing as did the shaking. The weather was partly sunny with high humidity. Road conditions were dry.

- Spring Lake, NC, USA

Jul 142013

F-150

I was trying to pass another car when my engine stalled. I was going about 45 to 50 mph when I went to accelerate around the car and my engine completely stalled and lost power. The transmission light appeared. It had been raining alot and was humid and wet although not actively raining at time of malfunction. I drive a new Ford F150 V6 with ecoboost technology.

- Evans, GA, USA