2013 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Nov 122012

F-150 6-cyl

The engine runs very rough at idle and other times during operation, its losing coolant level and shows a milky white residue in the oil fill cap. Dealer says the milkshake stuff is normal, not!!! dealer says loss of coolant level is normal from atmospheric conditions. Dealer says that these 3.5L V6's just normally run rough. Transmission hesitates and pulses when pulling a load. Recently I get a load snap/click sound at the heater control. This truck is brand new and feels like an old beat up truck. Ford got rid of the 3.5L V6 and replaced it with a new revamped 3.7L V6. They couldn't fix the problems with the 3.5L V6 but won't fix those issues with mine and others who are stuck with a problematic engine. There should be a national recall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Kent, WA, USA

Nov 232012

F-150 6-cyl

I was driving to Virginia beach, va from beaufort SC on interstate 95. I was pouring rain, night, and lots vehicles (around). I had driven about 200 miles in the rain when it occurred. I was in the process of trying to pass a truck in the passing lane when the truck just started shaking and felt like it was slowing down. I let off the accelerator and the shaking stopped. Then proceeded to try it again and the same thing happened again started shaking and losing power again. I then found a rest stop to rest and think about what just happened. While leaving the rest stop accelerating up to speed it happened again. I finished my trip to Virginia beach, va driving below the speed limit. Note: Was using regular at the time of incident. To date: I have not driven the vehicle in heavy rain or the vehicle has not been to Ford for service, and currently has 4,500 miles. I have not had shaking since event back on Nov 23, but I have noticed on damp days the vehicle seems not to accelerate properly, feels like it hesitates and then will surge like it just received a boost of fuel. Currently driving with premium gas.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Dec 092013

F-150 6-cyl

I was driving and went to pass another vehicle. My check engine light began to flash and my vehicle suffered an immediate power loss. Dealership has informed me that there is no fix and that this was an ongoing issue/investigation with NHTSA? this sudden loss of power leaves drivers in a very unsafe position. This is a brand new vehicle and Ford is of no help.

- Montz, LA, USA

Nov 112013

F-150 6-cyl

Upon acceleration to pass on freeway, engine shudders and loses power. Transmission down shifted to try to recover, but engine would not respond to throttle press. Had to back off on throttle and move to right lane all the while thinking to take the truck to the shoulder. Very scary when trying to pass and no power. Luckily I was not rear ended for slowing down so fast!

- Saint Helen, MI, USA

Dec 052013

F-150 6-cyl

Driving down highway at approximately 60-65mph when I attempted to accelerate. Vehicle began to stall/shake and lose power. I was unable to accelerate while the vehicle was shaking. Check engine light began to flash on and off.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Aug 132013

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The contact was driving 35 mph when the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle began to shake violently and then stalled. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where a diagnostic was performed. The contact was informed that the cold air cooler was defective however, a remedy was not available for the defect. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 7500.

- East Dublin , GA, USA

Nov 092013

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle decelerated and began shaking violently. The check engine warning light was also illuminated. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the spark plugs would have to be replaced. The vehicle was being repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Burgoon, OH, USA

Jul 042013

F-150

We bought our 2013 F150 XLT 4X4 V6 flex fuel at denham Ford in wetaskiwin alberta. We traveled across country to Ontario. We have continued to drive it. Approximately 9000 kms for mileage our truck has steadily lost acceleration power. Going up burlington skyway and garden city skyway (100 km/H major highway) truck struggle to maintain 60 km/H uphill with pedal to the floor! had instrumental panel problems improper display of amount of gas or distance to E. driveshaft constantly clunking and transmission slippage. Ford refused to replace after towing of problems and constant call ins to customer service. Took to local dealer and 7-8 technicians stood round scratching head replaced fuel pump did not make a difference. Ford ask for payment $558.08 we not have funds as all of our money going into gas to repair truck and false reading on panel and Ford refused to help us. We felt used and scared of being rear ended by a semi was not safe. Did diagnostic no codes. Beyond code problem. First known problem in North America...huge lemon.

- Camden, AR, USA

Nov 062013

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the accelerator failed to respond to acceleration attempts as the check engine warning light illuminated intermittently. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle erroneously decelerated when the accelerator pedal was being depressed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 3,400.

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Nov 062013

F-150 6-cyl

I was merging onto the highway while it was raining. In attempting to accelerate to merge in front of a semi my vehicle stated shuttering violently and lost power. I could not get past 40mph. The check engine light was flashing. This was after the truck had been running for two hours. The semi almost rear ended me as I got off the road as soon as possible. I shut the truck off and restarted the engine and it ran fine after that. I took the truck back to my dealer the next day and they could find nothing wrong, not even an error code. The truck has a Ford 6 cylinder eco boost engine.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Jul 262013

F-150 6-cyl

While making a left hand turn across traffic I floored the gas pedal and all power was lost almost resulting in a crash. The next time was on the highway while trying to pass another vehicle total loss of power. Unable to pass almost rear ended, luckily able to get off the road. Today November 3rd 2013 9:00 am traveling 40 mph on flat ground clear sky about 45 degrees I floored it and the truck did nothing it did shake alittle and I kept my foot to the floor for about 1/2 a mile and it never regained any power. Then I smelled something burning. No check engine lights ever came on and my fuel economy get worst every day. The truck feels like something is dragging it down all the time. Poor fuel economy mixed with unreliability is going to equal disaster. Ford is lucky no one has been hurt or killed yet.the truck will be towed to the dealer in the morning I simply will not risk my life while Ford sits on there thumbs. Fix the problem before someone is hurt!!!!

- Gilberts, IL, USA

Oct 312013

F-150 6-cyl

My family was driving home from a trip on the interstate in rainy weather conditions for the majority of the trip. On two or three different occurrences, when accelerating to pass or merge, the truck engine shuddered and failed to provide power necessary to accelerate. Never did it completely stall, but there was a noticeable shuddering of the engine and the truck felt like it was riding over rough pavement. I had read about this issue with the ecoboost engine in the F150 (unfortunately after I bought the truck) but had never experienced it until yesterday. When I felt the shuddering of the engine, I eased off the gas and gently reapplied as I had heard about instances of the vehicle completely stalling when pushing the accelerator to the floor. If it would have stalled last night on the interstate, in stormy weather, late at night, it would have been a scary and very dangerous incident. When I called my local Ford dealer today and asked him about service bulletins, recalls, or possible fixes, he acted like he had never heard of the issue before...

- Trenton, OH, USA

Jun 082013

F-150 6-cyl

Driving new Ford 2013 F-150 with the ecoboost engine. It was raining at the time. I tried to pass a vehicle and it went into limp mode, engine light came on and would not accelerate. This happened again several weeks later and the check engine light stayed on. I took it to the dealership and they replaced #6 spark plug and the catalytic converter. The problem happened again. Now I hardly drive the truck and it stays in the garage especially on rainy days.

- Cookeville, TN, USA

Mar 042013

F-150 6-cyl

Loss of power under acceleration while driving on I 95, attempting a lane change when power dropped, almost hit by a tractor trailer, pulled over finally and sat for 15 minutes then coasted to my destination. No engine warnings or lights/faults registered. Happened on two more occasions since then. The first time, I took it to my dealer service department and they said they could find nothing wrong. My truck had all the updates they said. The second and third times were on back to back days. All occurrences were during rain driving. The servicing dealer now says there is tsb on the intercooler and they will fix it.

- Waxhaw, NC, USA

Jun 232010

F-150 6-cyl

When first accelerating early in the morning the truck accelerates suddenly when 1st taking off. This really became a problem when someone stepped in front of me, the truck took off and then I had to stop suddenly. I have reported to Ford and taken it in twice, but they insist no one has had this problem. The motor's RPM fluctuates about 200-300, then settles down.the visibility has been a problem since day one. Ford replaced the wiper blades, but the problem is still there. I have back to the dealer 3 times and all they say is "we can duplicate the problem".

- Pearland, TX, USA

Oct 142013

F-150 6-cyl

Raining most of the day, I exited I-29 on to St 46, when I tried to pass a car, the engine pretty much shut down and began viborating. The check engine light came on and I had to pull over and let it idle for a bit. This happened again 2 days later on I-90. The dealer said there was nothing they could do. I'm lucky traffic was very light at the time.

- Gayville, SD, USA

Oct 132013

F-150

I took my 2013 Ford F-150 with the ecoboost engine on a week long vacation down to South Texas (approx. 1200 miles or 17.5 hours one way) it was sunny and warm the entire trip down and the vehicle ran great. However on the way back up to Iowa in was raining as soon as we left and only let up raining for 20 min increments the entire way home. About 5 hours in we pulled off the interstate to get gas and eat. We got back in the vehicle and proceeded to get on the on ramp and return to the interstate. I was going about 40 mph with smooth acceleration when I gave my truck a little bit of gas to merge into the 75mph traffic. My truck did not move, instead it continued to go 40mph and revved up to redline. I had to let off of the gas completely and put my foot back on it and slowly climb up to 65mph. The truck started shaking horribly and my check engine light started to flash. After about 45 seconds the check engine light stopped flashing and the engine stopped shaking. I then could make very slight speed increments. I could not however step on the gas to pass somebody without the truck revving up to redline and shaking again. This happened every time I tried to accelerate quickly the rest of the way back (12.5 hours). The truck runs great until it is introduced to 70mph interstate driving in heavy rain for long periods of time.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Oct 032013

F-150 6-cyl

3.5L ecoboost engine. Went to merge on highway, pressed accelerator, engine stumbled, pressed further on accelerator, engine stumbled, loss of power, check engine light flashing, violent shaking when trying to accelerate to safe speed on -ramp, light went out after a period of 1 - 2 minutes. Had to pull off side of road to avoid traffic as I was unable to accelerate. This was the second incident for this truck. Ford engineering to my service department that there was no fix but they were aware of the issue.

- Wilder, KY, USA

Jul 172013

F-150 6-cyl

Interstate, night, raining went to pass vehicle and accelerated when engine stumbled, shuttered violently, and loss power. Engine malfunction light illuminated had to pull over on side of highway due to loss of power.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Sep 162013

F-150 6-cyl

Shudder/misfire. The misfire occurs at various speeds going uphill or on a flat surface. The truck is currently at Ford dealer ship who is trying to resolve the issue. According to the dealers tech the misfire can occurs at low rpms. New spark plug coils and three sets of new spark plugs have been installed. Apparently it keeps blowing spark plugs.as of yet no solution has been found to the problem.

- Cleveland, TN, USA