2013 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 7 of 10)

Jul 172013

F-150 6-cyl

Interstate, night, raining went to pass vehicle and accelerated when engine stumbled, shuttered violently, and loss power. Engine malfunction light illuminated had to pull over on side of highway due to loss of power.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Sep 162013

F-150 6-cyl

Shudder/misfire. The misfire occurs at various speeds going uphill or on a flat surface. The truck is currently at Ford dealer ship who is trying to resolve the issue. According to the dealers tech the misfire can occurs at low rpms. New spark plug coils and three sets of new spark plugs have been installed. Apparently it keeps blowing spark of yet no solution has been found to the problem.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Sep 232013

F-150 6-cyl

While trying to merge into traffic I pressed the accelerator to the floor to get the truck up to the speed of traffic flow.I had no response from the engine for approx 1 to 2 seconds. This put me in a very dangerous situation as I had to get on the brakes hard to slow the vehicle on the on ramp to keep from getting hit by the faster traffic on the highway. In addition the traffic behind me had to rapidly slow down to keep from hitting me.we took the vehicle into the Ford dealership on Monday 30 Sept 2013. This was ruidoso Ford in ruidoso New Mexico. They checked the vehicle and said there was no problem with it and that they knew of no other problems of this type on 2013 F-150 fx-4 pickup trucks. I am still in the talking stages with them about this problem as I feel they have made little effort to solve it and the research I have done indicates that Ford Motor Corporation is aware of this problem. (this problem has happened to me several times since I purchased this vehicle, I thought that after the break in period, as the truck was new when purchased this problem would go away but it has not. Also this truck does not get the gas mileage that it is claimed to get.

- Laluz, NM, USA

Sep 292013

F-150 6-cyl

Ford F-150 ecoboost loss of power. - trying to pass a semi on the highway when the vehicle stumbled after a downshift, lost power, check engine light flashed, and the vehicle started to shudder. Tried to pull off of side of road but once I was able to get over to the median, the light stopped flashing and the shudder went away as did the light. It was in the mid 60S, I had traveled about 120 miles on the highway at about 70 mph in Ohio on I-75 South of toledo. It had been raining off and on all day.

- Wilder, KY, USA

Sep 212013

I purchased a 2013 Ford 150 supercrew cab 4X4 with the 3.5L V6 motor 4 weeks ago. All has been well until the first rain last week. I was on the freeway behind a slow vehicle, I went to pass they vehicle ahead of me on a four lane freeway, and my truck stumbled and lost power instantly as I put my foot down. I had myself, wife, and two children 1 and 2.5 in the truck. It was very scary. The check engine light was on and with no power as safely as I could I moved back into the slow lane of traffic and off the freeway around other passing vehicles. I cannot believe this. I have 2,400 miles on the vehicle. I turned it off. Restarted and no check engine light. It ran fine, I scaredly pulled back on freeway and went 50 mph to my destination. I reported issue to Ford and took truck in. No issue is shown and vehicle is running fine. They kept my vehicle overnight to diagnose no issue. Help! please!

- Red Bluff, CA, USA

Sep 232013

I purchased my truck brand new in April of 2013. It is a 2013 Ford F-150 FX4 super crew ecoboost. Monday (9-23-13) I was driving on interstate I-75 at approx. 70mph, I hit the accelerator to pass a vehicle and when I did, my truck dropped down to 2nd or 3rd gear, began to shake violently, lost power (hp), and the check engine light came on. I pulled over, turned off the truck and waited a couple of minutes and proceeded on my drive home. I drove one more hour, stopped in tampa for about two hours, then got back on I-75. One and a half hours later, it did the same thing at 60mph this time. This truck is known for this issue. The intercooler seems to be the problem. My truck now has 9500 miles on it. What's upsetting is that this is the 2nd time my truck has done this. The first time occurred on July 15, 2013 with 5,100 miles on the odometer. My local Ford dealership kept my truck for 4 days and replaced the intercooler, assuring me the problem was resolved (which it wasn't, as my truck repeated the issue yesterday, even with the replacement part). There are have been numerous complaints about this model truck having this issue. This is a huge safety concern, as the first time this happened to me, I could have been hit head-on by oncoming traffic (because the vehicle totally loses all power, no acceleration).

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Sep 192013

F-150 6-cyl

I was driving at 48-50- mph when I decided to pass a cement truck that was going below the speed limit. As I pulled out to pass the truck everything seemed fine. When I got alongside the cement truck my truck started to hesitate and misfire. The engine light started flashing. I was stuck from going back as another car was behind me, also trying to pass the slow truck. I barely made it past the cement truck as an oncoming vehicle had to swerve into the shoulder to miss me and the vehicle behind me. When I returned home I looked up ecoboost problems on the internet and found numerous other people with the same problem. Thankfully no one was injured or killed today, I believe the it will only be a matter of time before there is a fatality if there hasn't been one already.

- Muskego, WI, USA

Sep 152013

F-150 6-cyl

I was driving from milwaukee to des moines on Sunday Sept 15th, 2013, and when I went to pass another driver in dubuque that pulled in front of me the truck lost power and failed to accelerate as I anticipated. It was raining off and on throughout the trip, temp was 55deg, and I had been on cruise control for the majority of the time before this happened. Basically, I went to change lanes and pushed the accelerator pedal and instead of gaining speed quickly I received no acceleration causing the cars behind me to have to brake quickly. During this time the check engine light was flashing indicating a mis-fire was occurring at which point I knew what was happening and got off the highway and the mis-fires ceased and after a brief stop I was able to continue my drive. My truck was built on 1/15/2013 and has all the updates to the intercooler Ford claims addressed the issue. The issue is definitely not fixed and despite Ford claim in their response to the NHTSA investigation this is a safety issue. Ford also claims in their response to the NHTSA investigation that many complaints are just against the dealers and not for safety concerns so let me be perfectly clear here this is a safety complaint!

- Ankeny, IA, USA

Jun 292013

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle began to shake, wobble and lose power. The vehicle was turned off, shifted into neutral, and restarted however, the vehicle continued to run erratically. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that a shroud would need to be placed over the inner cooler to prevent condensation. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred the same day. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not further repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 14,200.

- Luray, VA, USA

Sep 052013

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

While driving from wilson, N.C. to swan quarter N.C. in the early morning hours on a fishing trip, I started to pass a slow school bus then my truck start jumping, loosing power and the check engine light started flashing. It almost caused me to have to ditch my truck to keep from hitting another vehicle. It was a very foggy morning and I had been driving at 50 and 55 mph for a long distance before this happened.

- Lucama, NC, USA

Sep 022013

I was driving 65 mph on the right hand side of a two lane highway. In order to pass a car that was going at a reduced speed I moved into the left hand lane and began to accelerate. Immediately, as I accelerated the engine misfired and then I lost engine power. I had to brake and get back into the right hand lane so I would not cause an issue with oncoming traffic behind me. The check engine light immediately started flashing and I pulled over. It was a dangerous situation to lose power at high speeds and the outcome could have been much worse. I was glad I did not have too much traffic behind me and the cars were able to navigate around me as I decelerated due to the engine misfiring. Scary situation to be in and disheartening after buying this truck brand new and only having 10,000 miles on it. Ford needs to do something.

- Corning , NY, USA

Jul 132013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving on a highway at 75 mph I accelerated to pass a car and the check engine light began flashing and the truck started shuddering and would not accelerate, it started decelerating. I pulled off the road and put the truck in park. I revved the engine until the turbos started spooling normally again.

- Wilmington , NC, USA

Aug 182013

F-150 6-cyl

Attempted to enter interstate traffic from an on ramp. Attempted to accelerate to speed and merge into traffic. The engine lost all power and failed to accelerate, the vehicle shook violently and slowed. A malfunction indication light began flashing on the dash. A vehicle behind me had to pass me on the shoulder to avoid a rear end collision. The condition cleared itself after approximately 20 to 30 seconds. I was approximately a hundred miles into a 150 mile trip in rainy weather. Returned to the dealer the following day who retrieved numerous misfire codes from the ECM (dtc P 0903, P 0904, P 0905). Dealer re-programmed the ECM and informed me I would have to drive it and see if that works. Performed research to see if this was a common issue with the ecoboost engine and found that indeed it was, that the condition has existed since at least 2011 model year and to date there appears to be no clear fix from Ford. Additionally, despite well over a hundred complaints about this dangerous condition, that no action has been taken by the nhtsb. It is my most sincere hope that it does not take a fatality to spur action on this condition.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Aug 192013

F-150 6-cyl

After driving about 200 miles at 65mph in the rain, I accelerated quickly to pass a vehicle and my 2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost truck seemed to lose power/stall and I could no longer accelerate. The engine light flashed for several minutes while this was happening and after several minutes (probably 2-3), power was restored and the engine light went off.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 082013

2013- Ford F150 ecoboost: I was driving along at highway 100km/hour highways speed. I came upon a car going 70km/hr. It was safe to pass, and as I stepped on the gas to accelerate, my truck lost complete power and decelerated to about 40 km/hr, eventually slowing right down. I tried frantically to push the gas, as there were two semi trucks behind me trying to pass at the same time as me. The trucks both ended up having to pass me unsafely on the shoulder to the left of me, into oncoming traffic. I was able to glide over back to the lane I was in, and eventually rode the shoulder. I continually tried to get power to the vehicle. My engine light was flashing. Eventually after several attempts, my truck did "grab" and shoot forward. The engine light then went off, and for the remainder of my drive, the truck was fine. Again, two days later, the truck did the same thing, but at slower speeds in town. As I read into the issue, I found that this is a "common" problem"??" my situation too was during rainy/wet weather, long distance highways the first time, and wet weather, in town, the second time. This is a severely dangerous issue. I too brought my truck to the shop and was told that this issue was being investigated and that Ford had solution to try. What boggles my mind is that there are "solution" to try, which means this problem was known, yet when I bought the truck the dealership did not make one single mention, even when I asked if they had heard of any issues with the ecoboost system! the shop just updated the computer, an a day later, it happen again! :) I'm no longer driving my truck on the highway. Not sure who to contact to return my truck. I don't even want it anymore!

- Prince George, AK, USA

F-150 8-cyl

This is a serious problem and a major safety issue!!! I experienced this twice last weekend on a major highway. I was driving (25mph) and all of a sudden the truck began shuddering and went into limp mode. I couldn't go more than 5 mph and almost caused and accident. The dealer was closed, so I disconnected the battery and after reconnecting it the truck ran fine, until later that night when the same thing happened but at 70mph. Once again the only thing to do was disconnect the battery (to reset everything). The truck was taken into the dealer first thing Monday morning just to be told that nothing is wrong with it.

- Johannesburg, MI, USA

May 202012

F-150 6-cyl

Had been driving in rain all day. Pulled out to pass on two lane highway and check engine light started flashing. Engine started sputtering and stopped accelerating. Had to pull back behind vehicle I was trying to pass. Dealer said I had same problem other ecoboost owners were having and replaced intercooler. It did not fix problem as it has happened 3 more times. Dealer said Ford was "working on a solution". I have to wait for recall and just be aware that problem could occur if conditions are right.

- Jourdanton, TX, USA

F-150 6-cyl

I was traveling down a secondary road in rainy conditions at approx 35mph as I pressed the gas to accelerate, the engine lost power and would barely accelerate. Engine light began flashing with what I assume is the infamous ecoboost misfire. The truck is a 2013 with only 13000 miles. Once I stopped briefly the misfire went away and normal operation resumed. There were no other vehicles around but as others have stated this is a problem that needs to be addressed because in different circumstances it has the potential to cause an accident.

- Harleyville, SC, USA

F-150 6-cyl

While trying to rapidly accelerate from a slow speed of 20 mph to avoid a possible collision my F150 ecoboost engine lost all power and the engine light started blinking. I had to pull over to the side of the road and wait for the engine light to go off. This is a serious safety issue that needs to be fixed. This is a recurring issue with my ecoboost engine.

- Kentwood, MI, USA

Aug 042013

F-150 6-cyl

While trying to pass slower vehicles on the freeway my F150 ecoboost engine lost power and the truck started to shake. This situation almost cause a serious accident as traffic behind me had to rapidly slow down to allow me time to pass the slower vehicles and get out of the way.

- Kentwood, MI, USA