2013 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Aug 182013

F-150 6-cyl

Attempted to enter interstate traffic from an on ramp. Attempted to accelerate to speed and merge into traffic. The engine lost all power and failed to accelerate, the vehicle shook violently and slowed. A malfunction indication light began flashing on the dash. A vehicle behind me had to pass me on the shoulder to avoid a rear end collision. The condition cleared itself after approximately 20 to 30 seconds. I was approximately a hundred miles into a 150 mile trip in rainy weather. Returned to the dealer the following day who retrieved numerous misfire codes from the ECM (dtc P 0903, P 0904, P 0905). Dealer re-programmed the ECM and informed me I would have to drive it and see if that works. Performed research to see if this was a common issue with the ecoboost engine and found that indeed it was, that the condition has existed since at least 2011 model year and to date there appears to be no clear fix from Ford. Additionally, despite well over a hundred complaints about this dangerous condition, that no action has been taken by the nhtsb. It is my most sincere hope that it does not take a fatality to spur action on this condition.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Aug 082013

F-150

2013- Ford F150 ecoboost: I was driving along at highway 100km/hour highways speed. I came upon a car going 70km/hr. It was safe to pass, and as I stepped on the gas to accelerate, my truck lost complete power and decelerated to about 40 km/hr, eventually slowing right down. I tried frantically to push the gas, as there were two semi trucks behind me trying to pass at the same time as me. The trucks both ended up having to pass me unsafely on the shoulder to the left of me, into oncoming traffic. I was able to glide over back to the lane I was in, and eventually rode the shoulder. I continually tried to get power to the vehicle. My engine light was flashing. Eventually after several attempts, my truck did "grab" and shoot forward. The engine light then went off, and for the remainder of my drive, the truck was fine. Again, two days later, the truck did the same thing, but at slower speeds in town. As I read into the issue, I found that this is a "common" problem"??" my situation too was during rainy/wet weather, long distance highways the first time, and wet weather, in town, the second time. This is a severely dangerous issue. I too brought my truck to the shop and was told that this issue was being investigated and that Ford had solution to try. What boggles my mind is that there are "solution" to try, which means this problem was known, yet when I bought the truck the dealership did not make one single mention, even when I asked if they had heard of any issues with the ecoboost system! the shop just updated the computer, an a day later, it happen again! :) I'm no longer driving my truck on the highway. Not sure who to contact to return my truck. I don't even want it anymore!

- Prince George, AK, USA

Aug 042013

F-150 6-cyl

While trying to pass slower vehicles on the freeway my F150 ecoboost engine lost power and the truck started to shake. This situation almost cause a serious accident as traffic behind me had to rapidly slow down to allow me time to pass the slower vehicles and get out of the way.

- Kentwood, MI, USA

Apr 242013

F-150 8-cyl

Reduced engine power during hard accelerations with the 5.0 V8 engine. Safety issue pulling out into traffic or needing to accel for any reason.

- Athens, AL, USA

Sep 152012

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle decelerated without manual force with the illumination of the check engine light. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle the dealer was taken to the dealer for diagnosis but they were unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 200.

- Lake Charles , LA, USA

Jul 312013

F-150 6-cyl

The first time the incident happen I was driving about 30 mph on a bright sunny day about 70 degrees out. I tried to go around a car and when pressed the accelerator the vehicle kind of stalled and shook, did not accelerate at all. I let off the pedal and tried again and it accelerated fine. There wasn't much danger involved in this mishap as the other driver and I were the only 2 vehicles on the road for a fare amount of distance. The second time this happened is what really worried me. I was leaving a gas station preparing to cross a 4 lane highway with a speed limit of 55 mph. This time it was morning about 65 degrees and sunny, I rolled up to the intersection and when an opportunity to cross was presented I pressed on the accelerator and the vehicle shook pretty bad and the engine about died. I hit the brake and the engine worked itself out of the shake. That's when I realized this issue is life threatening. If I would have pressed the accelerator and the vehicle brought me to the center of the highway and stalled there is a very good chance I could have been T-boned! and to top it off another issue I have been having with my 2013 Ford F-150 platinum is the bluetooth is rarely capable of syncing to my iphone, so I were to be T-boned the vehicle would have been incapable of utilizing its 911 assist feature and the injured involved in the accident would have to rely on a witness dialing 911.

- Watertown, SD, USA

Apr 152013

F-150

The contact owns a 2013 Ford F-150. The contact was driving 55 mph and depressed the accelerator pedal but the vehicle would not respond. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection but they could not diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 4,500.

- Apple Grove, WV, USA

Jun 232013

F-150 6-cyl

I was driving my new 2013 F150 ecoboost in the rain and I tried to pull to the left to pass a slower car on the highway. As I went to give it gas, about 90% throttle, the truck felt like it hit a brick wall, stuttered and started shaking. The check engine light came on and I was unable to drive the car about 55 mph. If I tried to drive past that it would just shake. The truck had no power. I drove it like this for about five minutes and then the check engine light went off and everything was ok. On the way back about a week later, once again in the rain, the same thing happened. Since then I have tried to duplicate this in dry conditions and the truck performs perfect. Only when it is wet outside does this problem happen.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jul 102013

F-150 6-cyl

Just bought this truck for a great deal of money. This has happened several times, with both my wife and I. driving at low and higher speeds trying to merge or pass another vehicle. As we apply the accelerator to pass or merge there is a lose of power and the truck almost stalls. We have almost been in 6 accidents because of this issue. I took my truck back to phil long of Colorado springs, co. And was told I was lying and they have not had any other complaints and they could look at it for $150 as my truck is brand new and still under warranty, im not happy I cant drive my truck safely and feel like Ford has let me down. Don't seem to be getting any post sale customer service. Please help.

- Colorado Springs , CO, USA

Jul 142013

F-150 6-cyl

While accelerating, vehicle lost power and started shuddering with the check engine flashing. Could not accelerate while the light was flashing for about 20-30 seconds. After light went out truck started driving normal again.

- Angier, NC, USA

Jul 062013

F-150 6-cyl

While driving in rainy conditions at 55 mph, the driver accelerated which kicked into passing gear. At this time the steering wheel began to shake violently, the vehicle lost all power (though remained on) and decelerated to about 45 mph on it's own. The check engine light began blinking and remained lit for appx 1 minute. Once it went off the vehicle regained normal operations. However, when attempting to accelerate again the same issue occurred. The next day in dry conditions the same situation occurred when accelerating quickly to pass only this time the check engine light stayed on. The same situation has not occurred again, though the light remains on. It is scheduled to go into the dealership tonight.

- Orlinda, TN, USA

Jul 042013

F-150 6-cyl

While merging onto a highway via an on ramp in rainy conditions I was almost involved in an accident when my 2013 Ford F150 ecoboost equipped truck lost power and would not accelerate. I was forced to the shoulder as the approaching tractor trailer was unable to stop in time and the impending collision would have caused serious harm to my family. The check engine light flashed for a few moments as we drove slowly on the shoulder and then it went off. No further highway travel was used following this potentially catastrophic incident due to the rainy conditions. One additional incident occurred with the truck one month prior but did not result in the check engine light. When pulling out of a parking lot onto a busy street the truck hesitated for a few moments before finally accelerating. When the truck finally responded a large smoke cloud appeared behind the truck and the engine revved much higher than normal. Until the recent event we thought it was an isolated incident. There was no rain or excessive moisture in the air on this particular day.

- Dothan, AL, USA

May 092013

F-150 6-cyl

Reduced engine power during hard accelerations. Experiencing misfires at highway speeds and when pulling out into intersection. Was almost hit by oncoming vehicle in intersection because truck lost power and speed in the middle of the intersection, truck was called on fast to make a lefthand turn at the gap in traffic and lost power. Vehicle was purchased new on April 13, 2013. Ford dealership ran diagnostics and determined problem was due to oasis special message number 32227, "intermittent stumble/misfire on acceleration". Ford said there is no fix yet "engineering is investigating, continue monitoring for updates".

- Mooresville, NC, USA

May 222013

F-150 6-cyl

May 22, 2013- while driving South on I-55 and merging onto I-12, I was traveling approximately 35 mph when I gave the truck gas to accelerate into oncoming interstate traffic of 70+ mph. My truck completely went limp and I could not accelerate at all with the check engine light coming on. I was in real trouble at this point so I pulled off with one tire in the grass to avoid a serious accident and potentially being killed. Approximately 1 minute later the truck regained power and I continued to my destination with the check engine light going back off. May 23, 2013- I called Ford dealership where I bought my vehicle and they explained to me that nothing was wrong if the warning light went off. Stating the system does this as an environmental precaution? May 28, 2013- I was traveling in galveston, tx at 25 mph when the check engine light came on again. I did attempt to give it gas to see if the same problem was occurring and it once again would not respond with the check engine light staying on permanently this time. I parked my truck for work until June 11, 2013. I took a picture of my dash to document the warning light. Called Ford dealership @ 7:20 a.M. on 6/10/13 explaining my situation. He stated that over the phone it sounds like the inner cooler. He explained to me that it is not dangerous and not to worry. He said the part was an updated part and they would have to run diagnostics to know the problem for sure. Dropped truck off at Ford dealership @ 11:10 a.M. on 6/12/13. Received phone call from Ford @ 3:20 on 6/13/2012. They told me that it was not my inner cooler because my truck has this so called updated inner cooler and they replaced my catalytic converter. They assured me this was fixed and would not happen again since the system was updated. The power loss happened two more times since and has me really worried to drive it.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Jun 082013

F-150 6-cyl

6/08/13 while traveling from kingsville to rio hondo at 6 am for a fishing trip, I accelerated hard to pass a semi-truck. My F150 shuddered violently in the back end, and I felt a significant loss of power. The check engine light blinked excessively before extinguishing. The truck resumed normal operation fairly quickly, within 5 sec. I continued to my destination with no further problems, making sure to limit my speed and make no more hard accelerations. The weather was rainy and wet conditions. I intended on investigating this issue once I returned home. 6/09/13 the truck had been parked and not driven until my departure on sun, 2 pm. On my way home I was forced to accelerate quickly on hwy 77 on ramp from fm 107 to keep up with traffic. The truck once again shuddered violently and the A/C began blowing hot air, the loss of power was much more significant than the last episode and I was forced to pull onto side of hwy 77 to avoid being struck by traffic behind me. The engine light blinked and continued to stay on. The truck resumed normal operation; however the length of time before that happened was much longer than before. I was certain I was going to be stranded and it was necessary for me to take emergency measures. The weather was hot and dry.

- Kingsville, TX, USA

May 212013

F-150 6-cyl

When accelerating the engine shut off without warning. After the dealer provided service for this issue, the engine shut off while decelerating to a stop and again while accelerating from this stop. Most recently the engine has been very sluggish at times while attempting to accelerate.

- Brandon, SD, USA

May 022013

F-150

While driving North on I-95 in Georgia at 65 mph, I attempted to accelerate. The truck began to shake violently, lose power, and the check engine light illuminated. The weather at the time was 70 degrees with moderate rain. I had been driving for approximately one hour at the time of the incident. I had to pull over to the emergency lane and shut off the motor. The engine restarted ok. I did not attempt any more hard accelerations. I had no more stall problems. I took the truck to the dealer where they found a misfire code, but had no explanation or fix to prevent the problem from happening again. This is an ecoboost vehicle.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 252013

F-150 6-cyl

2013 F150 XLT w/ ecoboost 42K cost, had to accelerate to get out of the way of a potential accident and the engine stalled started missing barely missed totaling the truck had to plow in to a grass median to keep from being hit. I was able to restart the truck and get it home and have not driven it since. I am so disappointed. If this is not a safety issue I don't know would be, this is scary stuff.

- Mcqueeney, TX, USA

May 172013

F-150 6-cyl

Upon hard acceleration to pass on highway the truck lost power check engine light continually flashed and shuttered when attempted to give truck any acceleration. After a few minutes of driving on shoulder to get to safe exit vehicle seemed to reset and regain all functions and power.

- Ozark, MO, USA

May 272013

F-150 6-cyl

Vehicle is getting way below estimated mpg. Truck is barely getting 16 mpg while the false advertisement says the truck will get 17-21 mpg. This is a brand new truck and has those far shown false advertisement in gas mileage. Along with the mpg, when in cruise control the transmission down shifts all the way down to 2nd gear while driving at 50 mpg leaving the rpms at a high rate when it down shift. There is something wrong with the way this truck down shifts in cruise control. This needs to be looked into as this is not the way a 50K plus truck should be driving or the false representation of the mpg that Ford has claimed. If I had knew the mpg would have been this bad I would have considered a different vehicle.

- Baltimore, MD, USA