2. drill & tap plugs and put in helicoil (6 reports)
  3. installed threaded insert (2 reports)
  4. Ford approved fix (1 reports)
  5. had to remove the head and insert a sleeve with threading (1 reports)
1999 Ford F-250 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford F-250:

1999 Ford F-250 Owner Comments

Nov 272015

F-250 Lariat V10

Spark plug was ejected and the coil pack bracket was broken. Could not thread the replacement spark plug back in because it looks stripped. Seems to be a recurring problem with other Ford motors according to stat reports. It appears this isn't an isolated incident.

- , Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Jul 012015

F-250 XLT 6.8L V10

Two days after fixing the first ejected spark plug (#6) the #3 spark plug got ejected on my way to work. I was coming up a hill a quarter mile from my house and as I let off the throttle at the top, the "ejected spark plug" noise came back. I turned around, dumped the truck in my yard and looked in the engine compartment and found that, sure enough another one had blown. I am going to fix the problem myself this time and am currently waiting for my timesert kit to come in.

- , West Newbury, MA, USA

May 122015

I am so blessed by God to have a wonderful friend that repaired this for me.

Cylinder #3 blew out the spark plug while siting in the driveway. I made a call and a friend came to the rescue. He picked up the kit I needed and fixed it.

- , Fallston, MD, USA

Dec 092014

F-250 XLT 6.8L V10

I do have to say I find this rather annoying. In the last 9 months I have had 6 of the 10 plugs heli-coiled because they blew out.

Today 12/9/14 the 7th spark plug blew out and resulted in a fire, which had me sitting on the side of a major highway during rush hour traffic with smoke and flames bellowing out of the engine compartment. The truck is a total loss. I have been rather upset about this every time it happened because I have a 2 yr old and a 3 yr old in the vehicle daily and was wondering if something major was gonna happen.

I have asked Ford if there was a recall on this issue and was told no because it didn't pose a safety concern. I'll tell you at this point seeing how quickly this thing went up in flames, I had about 2 minutes to get safely to the side of the road and out of the truck. Ford needs to recall this issue and take care of those of us who have lost our vehicles due to this failure. I know this was cause by a spark-plug because just before the fire occurred the plug blew which is a very distinct sound which I know all to well now on the 7th one. Before the plug blew out the truck was running in tip top shape as it was just at the mechanic a week earlier to have the 6th plug put back in.

- , Somerset, WI, USA

Nov 082014

F-250 5.4L

Only truck we have for the farm. Not sure I can afford to fix it. It will cause a lot of manual labor without a truck.

- , ARDMORE, OK - Oklahoma, USA

Aug 212014

F-250 5.4L Triton V8

Blew one cylinder plug leaving the wife stranded at a gas station. 7 day unavailability of transportation to get it sorted out & fixed. Apparently an all too common problem on these Ford engines that aren't being recalled or fixed. Definitely a reason to keep me away from Ford trucks in the future.

- , santa cruz, ca, USA

Jun 082014

F-250 XLT V10

This is the second plug to be blown out. The #10 plug went in mid april, and 6 weeks later the #9 plug is blown. Not impressed. Truck is in the shop right now, so not sure on the cost, but I assume the repair cost for the #9 will be at least a little less than the #10 was since it is further forward.

- , Comox, BC, canada

Apr 222014

F-250 XLT V10

I had a full load and was heading to the dump with the #10 plug blew. Cost with towing was about $550 for the repair. Really was a pain in the ass. If this was a one-time thing I would not worry too much about it, but because it is at risk of happening again, up to 9 times, I am not impressed.

Sounds like this is really a manufacturing/design defect and Ford should be responsible. I have never heard of a blown spark plug before in my life - not sure if this is something that ever happens with other vehicles.

Debating selling the vehicle and going with a non-triton ford, or perhaps switching to GM or Toyota.

- , Comox, BC, canada

Nov 072012

F-250 XLT 5.4L V8

In the 4 years I have owned this truck, the same spark plug has blown out 3 times. The first 2 times it cost $700.00 each time. Now the truck is sitting in my yard because I can't afford to take it to a shop. This was my husband's truck. WHEN HE DIED LAST YEAR, I decided to keep it and sell my 1982 Mercedes 300sd because I thought it was in better condition and would last me longer. I am writing ford a nasty letter next!

- , Fairfield, CA, USA

Jun 022012

F-250 XLT 6.8L V10

I bought the truck new in 1999, and never had a problem until 2005 when the first spark plug blew. It cost me $520.00 to have it towed and repaired. The second time the plug blow (2007), it cost me $620.00 to have it towed and repaired. Yesterday (06/02/2012), it cost me $740.00 to have it towed and repaired. Since I have owned the truck I have been extremely happy with the performance, I have only replaced the alternator, which is great for most car & trucks. But! To have as much trouble with this engine and from what I have heard about the V10 & other ford truck engines ford should correct the problem & pay at least half the cost! I love my truck, but if this continue (with the other seven plugs), I will have to look at GM. COME ON FORD.... DON'T LOSE ME!!

- , Owasso, OK, USA

Nov 072010

F-250 Lariat 5.4

This failure was easy to fix, however if it had been a rear plug it would have been much worse due to inaccessibility of the plug hole.

My complaint is that is a common problem with some Ford engines which should be recalled by Ford.

I am in favor of a class action law suit if it comes to that.

- , Cookson, OK, USA

Nov 042011

F-250 REG CAB 5.4L

I was driving on the NJ turnpike when I heard a bang and loss of power as I was changing lanes in front of big rig tractor flying behind me I had to swerve off the highway trying to get to the shoulder safely with no power I managed to park. I think ford would have had to pay for my life if that tractor did hit me. This is bullshit from a company that put out a motor with this problem I could have been killed and it would have been there fault. I finally get the truck home to find out my spark plug blew. I hope they do a recall and fix this before someone does get killed.

- , Union, NJ, USA

Mar 082008

F-250 Super Duty V10

Have only Driven p.u under 9000 miles since fix. I am not comfortable enough to go very far with it because it will most likely going to happen again.If you are out some were and it happens the spark plug blows out then you have a dangerous situation with fuel fumes that could ignite if you drive it.My friend also has a 2003 V10 and he's lost three already luckily two were when he was at home.

I love my truck but Its so unsafe I do not want to take it anywhere due possibility of it igniting when a plug blows and the safety of getting out of where you break down. For the price I and everybody else paid for these we should feel safe and not have to fix Ford screw up every time it happens at over 1000.00 plus when you include towing to the fix. this is a real safety issue and Ford should fix on their dollar.

- , Yacolt, WA, USA

Mar 152011

F-250 V10

ford should step up and fix the proublim of these spark plugs blowing out of the engine instead of puting the cost onto the consumer

- , N.Cambria, PA, USA

May 162011

F-250 XLT 5.4L

I have been a ford man all my life, I currently own 3 ford trucks a ranger a 150 and a 250 all 99 models. the ranger and 150 I bought with 0 miles the 250 had 100000. my F250 has blown 4 plugs in the 2 years I have owned it, the problem is 1 they need to make the threads deeper and to also make special sparkplugs to fit the deeper threads, what is happening is the head is aluminum and when it gets hot it is expanding at a faster rate than the plug which is made of steel. the threads hold for a while and over time they get worn down a leak starts and then boom you blow a plug The quality of ford has hit rock bottom, sure they have beautiful cars and trucks that cant be beat in looks but take one down a dirt rd for a few months and it will sound like a bag full of cats when your going down the highway. the reason im writeing this is one to blow off some steam and 2 to let people know that I have first hand witnessed the poor quality of workmanship in assembling these cars and trucks. I worked on fords Atlanta assembly plant for 11 years until they closed it down in 2006. I'm not writing this in revenge of losing my job thats water under the bridge and Im far better off now. here are some of the things I witnessed... im sorry I don't know the dates and most are from the assembly of the cars, the components of the car are assembled elsewhere ie engines and transmissions..

body welds breaking in critical points instead of stopping the line to fix the problem they have a person stand there with a spot welder and by hand re weld broken welds, the accuracy by hand is nowhere as good as the properly running robot

brake lines threads were not threaded right their solution was to have a person stand there and put teflon tape on the threads before assembly, sure it will work.. for a while

brake lines cross threaded, solution try to tighten them tighter to stop the leak

windows leaking... solution put a piece of rubber tape on the inside before the trim goes in.. I have more just have to think about them im sure all the automakers are guilty of taking shortcuts to save money but in the end its the consumer who pays for the automakers inability to produce a reliable modern car....

- , Griffin, GA, USA

Apr 222011

F-250 Super Duty 5.4L V8

This is my 4th issue with this truck blowing spark plugs. I thought the helicoil inserts would solve the issue but the same 2 blew out again. I'm frustrated with this problem and can't believe Ford isn't stepping up with a recall.

- , Wildomar, CA, USA

Aug 052009

F-250 XLT 6.8L

This was awful!!! The spark plug blew out and of course destroyed the coil pack at the same time which also had to be replaced. The cost to replace the head would have been the alternative was to do this fix that was "pretty likely" to hold up according to the mechanic. They took the head off and tapped a new opening for a sleeve they inserted from the inside of the head. In case you were wondering even a used head for the 6.8l V10 was about $5K. So I had no other choice but to do the fix.

My suggestion is to not buy this vehicle no matter how good of a deal you get. And if you own one....sell it!!!! I'm guessing for most people it is not very feasible to have a random repair of $2k plus done when you are not expecting it especially on a vehicle that you pay like $8k or less for.

I have heard that this problem has occurred even on the V8 models as well so be prepared for the possibility of it happening to you as well.

- , Hillsboro, OR, USA

Nov 232010

F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 v10

This is ridiculous and so unsafe I'm a 17 year old kid trying to take my brothers to school and now i have no truck because ford cant cover there trucks. if that cylinder were to blow gas out and touch the spark plug boot the whole engine would explode. ford should step up and take responsibility for there fault. how do u expect a full time student to pay for such expensive repairs? its near Christmas and i cant drive to see family or will i have money because i have to save and replace a head on my truck.

- , Glendora, CA, USA