2006 Ford F-250 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford F-250:

2006 Ford F-250 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 112015

F-250

Truck "death wobble" - dri\ving on I 25 at about 60 mph we hit a small bump in the road and the truck began to violently shake. We thought we had a blowout, but the tires were ok. In fact, before our trip we had our tires checked and were told they were fine. After going to a dealer I have discovered that this is a known problem called the "death wobble". it is an engineering defect and has nothing to do with tires as Ford would like to assume. I received a notice from Ford in Dec 2015 acknowledging the "severe vibration" and blaming it on the tires. It is not the tires it is an engineering defect. What is being done regarding a recall to fix this problem? unless you have experienced the violent shaking you have no idea how terrifying it is and the potential to cause a serious if not deadly accident. I know I am not the only one complaining as I have read numerous accounts on forums, seen youtube videos and had the acknowledgement from a dealer about the problem!!!. please help.

- Evergreen, CO, USA

Mar 132016

F-250

Please reopen this investigation. Every person that I know with a Ford F250 4X4 has this problem on occasion. Your failure to make Ford fix will kill someone. How many people have to die? date investigation opened: Mar 14, 2008 date investigation closed: Mar 31, 2009 NHTSA action number: EA08007 component(s): Suspension my truck has 60,000 miles now and I have replaced all 4 tires nearly 3 different times in the last 15,000 miles. That's an average of tires last 5000 miles. I have encountered this problem many times, and constantly get a "run-around" that it's the tires. My tires are properly inflated. Yesterday, I was travelling on interstate 45 yesterday at 70 mph's and traffic suddenly slowed to a crawl. I had to apply my brakes aggressively and when I hit a certain speed between 35mph and 60 mph, the truck began to randomly bounce and was completely uncontrollable. I couldn't even steer. I nearly crashed into several vehicles on the road. While the front end of the vehicle was violently bouncing (it bounced so violently it broke a folding down tv mount / mounted in the ceiling of the truck), I hung onto the steering wheel for dear life (like hanging onto a bull 8 seconds) and continued to slow even further, and ultimately had to drive off into the grass else I was going to crash. The death wobble went away when I approached a complete stop < 15mph. In the same truck, I have had this death wobble incident happen over 200 times since owning the vehicle. I have even had this same problem happen while hauling car's on car trailers. It is scary. After market mfrs make claims that it's due to the track bar and bushings and these kits are available to fix the issue, but Ford and the tsa denies its a real problem. Before I pay out thousands for a aftermarket suspension, I expect Ford to fix this, the correct way.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 122006

F-250

Truck violently shakes after hitting a bump or dip in the road and doesn't stop until I slow down to almost a complete stop. Received a letter from Ford about this problem but the only solution they offer is to check tire pressure which I did and of course did nothing.

- Jamestown, SC, USA

Jun 292015

F-250

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-250. While driving 40 mph over uneven pavement, the vehicle began to shake violently without warning. The contact stated that this was an ongoing issue. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the drag lane bar and steering linkage needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Lucedale, MS, USA

Jun 102008

F-250

Going 55mph the truck starts shaking and shimming. All lights go in and out and blows whenever anything is hooked up.

- Oxford, FL, USA

Nov 102010

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

The death wobbles or shimmy been.going on since 2010. The whole truck would shake and shake hard. Until I slow down to 30mph. Then Ford sent me a litter (09L02) saying it's called the shimmy and its my tire pressure. I checked tire still kept happening. Yesterday 6/23/2014 my wife an two sons where on the freeway when it happen and the steering damper broke off.

- Upland, CA, USA

Apr 152014

F-250

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-250. The contact stated while turning at 25 mph, the steering wheel shook. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the steering box, drag link bar, tie rod end, upper and lower ball joints, and suspension drive link cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 77,000. The VIN was not available.

- Dumbar, PA, USA

Apr 302013

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

Driving at 45 mph the truck drifts to the right then snaps back to the left, after applying the brakes the steering wheel shakes violently. After coming to a full stop and starting off again it is fine for a few miles then it starts all over. I have had upper and lower ball joints replaced, steering box replaced, brakes replaced, just about anything to do with the front end has been replaced and it still goes on.

- Glassboro, NJ, USA

Feb 192014

F-250

While driving my 2006 Ford F250 FX4, at speeds between 45-65 mph, a slight vibration is felt. Within a few seconds it turn into a violent shaking motion as if I'm driving on large cobble stones. It has been so bad I have almost lost control on the highway and came within inches of hitting another vehicle. When it starts there is no stopping it, as the steering wheel jerks violently. Ford has sent a letter out that say inflate your tires and if it still happens slow down until it stops. That's not right. This is dangerous. I have to slow down to 30 mph for it to stop. I can't do that on the highway. The dealers and Ford say there is nothing they will do. This issue is extremely dangerous due to Ford engineering mishap.my tires are stock, rotated, balanced, and aligned, this happens at least once every other week 2005-2013 F250,350 owners report the same issue. Google: Ford death wobble, and watch the F250 at cruising speed.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Feb 042008

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

I have a 2006 F250 lariat crew cab 6.0. there are no modifications from stock on the vehicle. I was and continue to run recommended air pressure in the tires. While driving the vehicle at a speed of 50 mph in a slight turn, immediately after hitting a dip in the road, I experienced a violent shake in the front end. It felt as though the tires were hopping which made the truck extremely hard to control. As the front end hopped it pushed through the turn. This seems to be in intermittent condition brought on by speeds over 40mph, in turning situations, where there is a bump and or dip in the road. Based on my research lately this seems to be a know safety issue that Ford has chosen to ignore.

- Montpelier, VA, USA

Sep 032013

F-250

I had never heard of a death wobble until I was on my way to the hospital with my three children after being involved in a rollover accident. We were traveling North bound on the M53 van dyke expressway which has a posted speed of 70 mph. I had just passed a vehicle that was in the right lane. Just after passing this vehicle I developed this death wobble, I was switching lanes back to the right lane when my steering wheel started to shake, not just a little shacking either. I had applied my brakes and held the wheel with both my hands. My steering wheel was shacking so badly that my dashboard was falling apart, and I was having major problems controlling my vehicle. It felt as if my driver"S wheel was bouncing up and down and my steering wheel was also shaking so badly that in just a second I had lost total control of my vehicle. My truck drifted to the right and my left front wheel hit the turf followed by my left rear wheel hitting the turf and we started to roll. We rolled two in half times before coming to a stop upside down. The cab of the truck was crushed, the right rear corner of the cab was pushed down further than the headrests on the seat were my youngest was sitting, and thank god my 7 year old wasn?T killed. On the passenger"S side the roof was smashed against the head rest were my daughter was seated. I am very thankful that my 3 children and I lived through this night mare. I have driven a pickup truck for over 20 yrs., and I have never felt this death wobble before.

- Oakland Twp., MI, USA

Sep 012011

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

This complaint is for steering oscillation, or "death wobble". the vehicle in question is completely stock, with no lift. This event has occurred numerous times under a variety of driving conditions and speeds. The violence of this happening while driving at any speed is frightening and dangerous, particularly at 70 mph on the interstate. Ford has issued several technical bulletins relating to this problem, but no solutions have been offered besides checking your tire pressure. To me and the thousands of consumers that have had this problem, that seems to be a convenient way to say it is not a design problem that should be corrected, but operator error. It is incredible that something this dangerous and potentially life threatening is not being addressed by the NHTSA and that Ford is not being held accountable for their design problem. This is a dangerous situation that needs to be addressed.

- Hoschton, GA, USA

Jan 092013

F-250 8-cyl

When traveling down the highway at 60 miles per hour the truck stated violently shaking in the front end and the steering wheel did as well when I hit a bump in the road. The shaking stopped as I reduced speed to 20 miles per hour. Very dangerous, and has almost caused me to hit other cars twice. Afraid to drive on highway!! needs to be fixed by Ford before someone dies!! ## VIN passed ##

- Austin , TX, USA

Jan 312006

F-250

The front end of the truck begins to violently shake at 60 miles an hour. Sometimes a bump causes it, other times it occurs when simply driving straight. Have had regular service at Ford dealer, but the issue has gotten progressively worse over the years. Have alerted them of the problem for years. It's all over the internet as "Ford F250 front end shake" or more concerningly as the "Ford death wobble." It's not a tire pressure issue, as I've only used properly inflated factory tires that were dealer installed. Problem has continued to get worse, and the shake has now made the truck virtually undrivable at 60 mph. Please google the issue. It's real. Love my Ford, but my family comes first, and the wobble is too scary to ignore. Just paid another $2800 to try another fix (track bar and ball joints), plus another $2000 for new tires. Someone will get hurt with this.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 102011

F-250

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-250. The contact stated that when the vehicle was being driven 50 mph or more, the front end of the vehicle would vibrate violently. The failure would also occur when driving over a slight road bump. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where the front shocks, struts and steering stabilizer was replaced, but the repairs did not permanently correct the failure. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 150,000.

- Bartlett, TN, USA

Dec 052006

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

I have over 118 pages of repairs dealing from electrical, suspension, engine failure, turbo, fluid leakage, oil cooler failure. Ejectors, glow plugs and counting. They continue to reoccur time after time and dealer will not cover. I met alot of consumers that has the same vehicle and they all are having the same problem. I know that Ford has sued the designer of the 6.0 engine and won billions but will not attempt to assist the consumer. The right thing to do is, if you know that if there's a problem with a problem why not assist the consumer in correcting instead of doing a patch job. They will not attempt to do the right thing unless someone force them to do so. Thanks

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Oct 132010

F-250

My F250 P/U has a death wobble above 50 mph. That has almost made me crash on several occasions.

- Milwaukie, OR, USA

Mar 172006

F-250

From the very first day I got the truck when you go down the highway at a speed of 60 or higher the front end shakes violently and pulls the truck to the left. And it does it to this day 6yrs later. Ford knows of the problem and stated in a letter to me from Ford that 2006 F250 trucks have this problem and is dangerous. But they have not come up with a fix for it as of this date. It was dangerous when I bought it in 2006 and it is still dangerous today. You could possibly go into another lane and hit another car or cross over into on coming traffic. Ford should be made to fix the problem at no cost to the owners.

- Budd Lake, NJ, USA

Apr 292012

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

Upon hitting an edge of bridge bump, the truck violently vibrated until I slowed to under 45 mph on interstate. I was frightened so much that I thought I would crash. My tires were inflated and vehicle aligned properly.

- Brodnax, VA, USA

Apr 232012

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

Driving down the road and hit a small bump and the front end starts shaking so violently that you can't control the vehicle. Applying brakes does not stop the severe wobble. I almost went through a guard rail due to loss of control. This has happened several times and Ford says it tire pressure. Not! this problem is all over the internet. Ford needs to man up and fix there problem.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA