2008 Ford F-250 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford F-250:

2008 Ford F-250 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 052013

F-250

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-250. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the steering gear box failed without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic however, had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 195,000.

- Forth Worth, TX, USA

Nov 172013

F-250

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-250. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the contact lost control of the steering. The vehicle traveled off-road, over a ditch and into an open pasture before crashing into a row of trees. The driver's side mirror was torn off the panel and entered the driver's side window. The contact did not sustain any injuries. A police report was filed of the incident. The contact had the vehicle towed to his residence and was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 113,000. The VIN was not available.

- Mount Carmel , IL, USA

Sep 192013

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

My dealership identified during routine servicing that the steering gear box on my 2008 Ford F250 diesel truck is faulty and needs replacing. The steering wheel does not return easily coming out of a turn. They recommend the steering gear box be replaced with official Ford parts but then stated it could take up to 120 days to get the part. It was recommended I don't drive the truck in the meantime. I understand an investigation has been started on this problem as people have reported complete loss of steering. It is not considered a recall yet. I am very concerned and am not driving my truck but cannot wait long for a solution.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 152010

F-250

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-250. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph over an uneven road surface, the steering wheel became difficult to control as the vehicle shook abnormally. The failure occurred when the contact was driving between 55 and 60 mph and required excessive force in order to brake. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The tires were replaced and the steering wheel was adjusted but the failure continued. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 27,600. The VIN was not available.

- Waynesville, NC, USA

Jul 162013

F-250

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-250. The contact stated that while traveling 60 mph, the steering wheel shook violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the steering box had failed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Morrisville, MO, USA

Jan 182011

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

The steering wheel got stuck when I turned and never returned back on its own. The gear box has been replaced twice, this is now the third time I have to replace the gearbox, on top of all the aggravation and safety concerns I have the dealership now says they cannot get the part, it is on back order being built"?? and that they might have to give me a non Ford built gearbox??"I have been waiting for over 1 month with no success. This truck is a business truck and I am sooo upset how this has been handled by Ford. I am now going to try to file the truck under the lemon law. We need our truck. Please help!!!!

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 272013

F-250

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-250. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the steering assist failed and the contact was unable to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for inspection where they stated that the tie rod, rack and pinion and the gear box needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 250,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Henderson, NV, USA

May 232013

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F250. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the steering failed and leaked oil from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was advised to the contact that the gear box needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 41,000.

- Yorea Linda , CA, USA

May 102013

F-250 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-250 diesel. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the steering box malfunctioned causing him to lose control of the vehicle. The contact had to crash into a pole in order to bring the vehicle to a stop. No injuries were reported. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the steering gear box needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 29,000.

- Humble , TX, USA

Apr 242013

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

Intermittent problem with steering. Sometimes steering is fine.other times truck wants to pull left after making a left turn. Same condition after right turns. I've had a couple of experiences while steering is pulling right or left, trying to correct the trucks jumps from lane to lane. No accident yet ! very scary! I looked the problem up on the internet they call this problem " memory steer". I also read the problem is the steering pump. The spools in the pump that shuttles power steering fluid to right or left turns are sticking. I strongly suggest a recall before a fatal accident happens.

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Dec 072010

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

Began in 2010...death wobble....hitting a bump, ,steering wheel shakes violently.....loss of confidence in the ability of the vehicle to provide safe transportation.....dealership visit was not helpful...said it was tire pressure...added a different trac bar in 2012...helped some but til produces the wobble at lower speeds.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jan 212013

F-250 4WD

2008 F250 6,4 powerstroke 4X4 drive above 55 and hit rolling bump and the front end starts shaking violently steering wheel also shakes. I have had everything inspected and everything is tight as a vehicle with only 59,000 mile should be. The more I drive it the worse it gets its starting to just shake randomly without hitting a bump.

- Blaine, KY, USA

Sep 272012

F-250

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty. The contact stated that when driving over a road bump and traveling 45-65 mph, the front end of the vehicle would wobble uncontrollably. The contact had to reduce speed in order to bring the vehicle under control. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 45,000 and the current mileage was 50,000.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Oct 202012

F-250 8-cyl

Driving 65mph and changing lanes power steering was lost as well as power braking. After fighting the wheel hard to straighten out and braking hard I finally eased over to a stop. When stopped discovered the serpentine belt had broken, second issue in 20K miles with said belt. Belt and tensioner were replaced 1.5 years and 20K miles prior. Tensioners destroying belts are a known fault with 6.4L engines. I am not a small guy and I feel many would not have been able to get the truck under control with no power steering or brakes. Luckily I was not towing at the time or I wouldn't have had control.

- Cheyenne, WY, USA

Apr 182012

F-250 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-250 suprerduty diesel. The contact stated that the vehicle became very difficult to steer while driving 30 mph. The contact inspected the vehicle and thought that the failure invovled the steering box and shaft. The vehicle had not been taken to the to the dealer, but the manufacturer had been notified. The failure mileage was 36,000. Updated 6/4/12

- Remington, IN, USA

Oct 012010

F-250

The front end of the truck will just start shaking uncontrollably.

- Dayton , TX, USA

Mar 052011

F-250

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F250. While driving approximately 30-40 mph, there was a complete loss of power steering. The contact was unable to gain control of the vehicle and crashed into the guardrail. A police report was filed with no personal injuries. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where they informed the contact that the failure was related to the steering box. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Pinehurst, GA, USA

Sep 152010

F-250 8-cyl

I have a 2008 Ford F250 5.4L V8 gas truck that I purchased new, I have less than thirty thousand miles on it and have experienced a near loss of control when driving interstate speeds when a bump in the road causes the front wheels to oscillate violently. The entire truck feels as though it is going to shake apart and you can not steer the truck at all until you slow to around thirty miles an hour. This is very dangerous as you can not maintain lane control and often drift into the other lane or emergency pull off lane. The truck is completely stock and has the factory tires, rims everything... I have had all service done at the local Ford dealership garage where I bought the truck. I have taken it in numerous times and each time they attributed the problem to low tire pressure, even though it was exactly 75 psi as is the recommendation on the door sticker. Someone is going to be killed in one of these trucks. The dealer refuses to acknowledge the problem. To replicate the "death wobble", all you have to do is drive an 08' Super Duty at 65-70 mph on the interstate and hit a slight bump or minor pothole, especially in a slight turn, and you will lose control and be shaken violently until you can bring the vehicle's speed down to below 40 miles an hour. I can replicate this everyday on my way to work. It happens every day, every time I go over certain bumps on the interstate. I now have to slow to below 45 miles an hour before I hit the bumps to avoid an accident. Going this slow could cause an accident where the speed limit is 70. This really pisses me off. I spent alot of hard earned money on this truck to be told it is a tire inflation issue when it is definitely much more severe. I religiously check my air pressure. Even if it were low, this is unacceptable and something must be done. This problem did not surface until after a year or so of driving... approx 15,000 miles. Something is very wrong, lives are at risk here. Please do something. Recall

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Oct 172007

F-250

Purchase date September 13, 2007 of Ford F250 truck. While driving the truck would start vibrating and I would see white exhaust smoke, truck would either lose power or increase speed without any change in acceleration. It has been in the shop over 16 times. The dealership has had the vehicle for numerous weeks and have put over 1,000 miles driving the vehicle in attempt to duplicate the problems and get a diagnostic code. March 2010 while slowing down I noticed a loss of power steering and power brakes for a second or two. By recommendation of Ford our dealership has flushed the power steering system approximately 4 times. The loss of power steering and power brakes almost caused my wife to go off the road while exiting a highway. The dealership had possession of my truck for the entire month of June 2010. They were unable to duplicate the steering and brake issue. Most recently while out of town I lost power steering and brakes 3 times after I slowed down to make a turn. It appears the loss of steering and brakes lasts longer. I have been informed that Ford Motor Co. Diagnostic protocol is if the computer does not throw a code or a service tech cannot get the vehicle to duplicate the problem they are not able to do anything. We have been more than patient with the dealer, the service records and the amount of time we have been without the truck will clearly show we have given more than adequate chance to fix these problems. Now at 90,000 miles I own a vehicle that I will not allow my wife or anyone else drive in fear they may not be able to react quick enough to maintain control until the power steering and power brakes return to function.

- Douglas, MI, USA

Aug 302010

F-250

I own a 08' F-250 extended cab Super Duty. I have experienced a death wobble almost a dozen times now mostly at speeds between 60-75 mph. I brought it to the Ford dealership and they originally told me it was tire pressure. It happened again and I brought it back. This time they changed the steering wheel dampener and told me that it would be fine from here on out. To no avail, same exact thing has happened 6 more times since then. Truck hit an irregularity in the road and you feel like your going to be thrown out of the truck cab. You have to grab the steering wheel as hard as you can and hold on for dear life while releasing the gas pedal and trying to brake the vehicle as gently as possible. The vehicles around you are in jeopardy of you smashing into them because of the violent nature of the shake and the loss of control of such a large vehicle. I feel like my life is in danger everytime I drive this vehicle now!

- Central Islip, NY, USA