2002 Ford F-350 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford F-350:

2002 Ford F-350 Owner Comments

Oct 102015

F-350

Wife parked the truck running at the top of a sloped driveway near our farm house, left the truck running and in park, got out to retrieve a forgotten item, walked downhill 75 ft., after a short time turned to see the truck speed by backwards nearly hitting her. The truck rammed the carport corner concrete support, jumped a two foot rock wall and came to rest against a three foot diameter birch tree. Truck evaluated as total loss. A master mechanic brought to help get the truck started. Damage only to rear but would not start. Battery plates had shorted due to the three severe jolts. The mechanic also noted the steering column bolts and screws seemed quite loose. The truck was started but moved to the body shop by a tow truck since the rear break line was severed. After totaling the vehicle the insurance company sold the truck back to me for $5100. I got the truck repaired. Today I took it to the Ford dealer to check the steering column. The Ford technician noted the severity of the loose steering column, replaced a couple bushings, tightened bolts and screws, and tested the vehicle. He specifically noted, in writing, the truck would not reliably stay in the selected gear. I paid Ford $259 for the steering column work. The Ford service manager told me when I scheduled the work that two other vehicles had just come in the same day with the same problem. This truck came out of park on its own and when rolling backwards barely missed my wife. She could have been easily killed. Before this accident, it never occurred to me to take the truck into Ford for a check of the steering column after 13 years but I should have been smarter. I bring this up to you for review because there could be lots more of these vehicles out there that could kill someone if they suddenly slip out of gear and roll. I have a copy of the Ford service paperwork from today.

- Chelan, WA, USA