2005 Ford F-350 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-350:

2005 Ford F-350 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 142015

F-350

Death wobble. 1st time it happened was entering the highway off the ramp and accelerating to merge into traffic and going over the overpass the bridges in mass. Are a mess, any way, when I drove those series of bumps at about 60-65 mph in a truck it gets bumpy anyway but all of a sudden the steering wheel, and the truck started violently shaking out of control so bad I lost complete vision it was shaking so bad with no capability of steering the truck..instinctively I applied the brakes not even checking to see what was behind me as it was shaking so bad, you cant turn around, you can not see out the mirrors. As I stated you kind of lose vision and everything goes blurry because your shaking in the vehicle so bad. A quick google and you find this happens to many many owners of this very the same truck. In fact Ford sent me a letter stating they knew about it and to make sure we have the correct air pressure. I use a $50 air pressure gauge, the air pressures not the problem. It was still happening anytime you go over big bumps or a series of smaller bumps will set it off while driving on the highway or over 60 mph. It doesn't happen to us at slower speeds. This is an extremely dangerous defect.

- Chester, NH, USA

Jul 262005

F-350

My 2005 has a violent front end wobble if I hit a bump while turning right. When I took it to the dealer, I was told to over inflate my tires. He also said that it was a common complaint with this model. The dealer called it a " death wobble " and told me to make sure that I was holding the steering wheel tight when it happens. This is a regular occurrence.

- Price, UT, USA

Nov 302007

F-350

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-350. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle wobbled. The steering veered to the left when the wheel was turned to the right and vice versa. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the front tie rods, front stabilizer bars, gear box, and multiple parts on the front of the vehicle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, while driving 65 mph, the vehicle lost power. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the injectors, cam shaft sensor, and the wiring harness for the injectors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 102,000.

- Livingston, NY, USA

Mar 062015

F-350 4WD 8-cyl

When ever this truck hits a bumpy part of road (e.g. pot hole, crack in pavement, or debris) the vehicle (and steering wheel) will shake violently back and forth for several seconds (4 to 5 seconds) or until I slow to speeds around 35mph or below. This happens on a regular basis and has happened since I bought the vehicle two years ago. The tires are like new, and the front suspension components have been checked and determined to be in good usable condition. Searching the web for possible causes or fixes of this issue, I have found that many other people also have this same problem, with little to no help coming from service repairs at a dealership.

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Oct 042005

F-350 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-350. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle started to jerk violently without any warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was 50,000 and the current mileage was 250,000. Updated 2/26/14

- Emerson , GA, USA

Jul 062012

F-350 8-cyl

While traveling on the highway at 65-70 mph my vehicle will go into a violent shimmy if it hits any sort of road bump (such as bridge expansion). This happens everyday in this vehicle. It will not go away until I slow the vehicle down to 45 mph.

- North Providence, RI, USA

Aug 012011

F-350 8-cyl Diesel

I purchased the truck used from a private dealer in Aug 2011 with 66,000mi. On it! from the dealer this issue started. It has happened at least 2 dz times now and Ford refuses to accept the issue as a Ford issue! they tell me its the tire pressure and I have had it to them 3 times to fix this issue, they have re inflated my tire pressure to " factory recommended pressure" and within 5 miles its shaking so violently I have to pull over and start again, this will cause a death eventually!! I will not let my wife drive this truck and that is what it was bought for, a safe family vehicle.

- Desert Hot Springs, CA, USA

Jan 012008

F-350 8-cyl Diesel

The F350sd has a shimmy when you hit a dip in the road or a bump. This is violent enough for concern that it'll cause an accident. It doesn't go away on it's own you have to come to a stop or get to about five miles an hour for it to reset. This has happened multiple times. I have had the local front end shop replace the front steering components, even though the components came with in spec that Ford says is safe and corrective action needs be taken. This helped for about 10 months but now I'm back to the same old problem. Ford says to take it to a Ford authorized dealer and have them check it out. I'll do it one more time, this is repetitive, they don't see a problem in their product so why am I wasting my time. Everybody says its your tire pressure, wrong, I run it at max and I've even tried running it five pounds higher than recommended. Would someone please help us and get this fixed right. I know Ford wont ever acknowledge that there is a problem for the chance of a lawsuit. So I guess it's up to the highway safety council to help. I'll give all of you a ride and show you how bad it is. And then I can give you all the documents showing Ford says the front end are within spec. You know its bad when it shimmies you off the road, this is as best you can do to avoid an accident.

- Fairview, UT, USA

Dec 082011

F-350 8-cyl Diesel

I was driving my truck normally like any other day, was going down the road around 45mph when all of the sudden the front end shook so violently, that it pulled so hard to where I had to brake very quickly and stop the truck immediately. This problem that exist has not been determined yet. I have it at a mechanic, I also can not drive it, very dangerous. I got online and other people are having the same trouble and have labeled it the Ford death wobble. I took it to a mechanic on 12.14.11 were it is still at and on that same day I received a notice from Ford that there might be a recall soon due to excessive shaking and to check tire pressure. Front end alignment, tire size etc. This needs immediate attention, on the internet back in 2007 they had at least 61 complaints. Whatever is causing this needs to be fixed asap before someone loses control and seriously hurts someone or themselves.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Dec 122011

F-350 8-cyl Diesel

Our 2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty, (with less than 50,000 miles) continues to have instances of extreme front end shaking when crossing bridges and going over any size bumps in the road, (big or small). When this happens, the vehicle is 'out of control'!!! this is a severe and dangerous problem that Ford needs to recall. It is clear that this is an ongoing issue with this vehicle. Is it going to take a fatal crash to get the attention from the Ford manufacturer"???? or a class action lawsuit???" the local dealerships deny there is any issue with the vehicle, have paid private mechanic to install stabilizer, etc., but problem is only getting worse. Due to this being a severe safety hazard, I would like to see a formal recall process begin.

- Salem, OR, USA

Jul 212007

F-350 8-cyl

Driving straight on a highway at 55 mph when after hitting a small bump in the road the front tires shook uncontrollably. This caused the truck to shift lanes and nearly hit another car. The shaking wouldn't stop until the truck slowed down. Took 2 hand struggling with the steering wheel to keep the truck under control. This has happened numerous times and is extremely dangerous. Today the truck is still totally stock with 33500 miles. Please have Ford issue a recall!

- Walpole, MA, USA

Dec 042006

F-350

Severe shimmy when truck was new. Ford refuses to fix says there is no problem. Can not drive on highway over 45 mph.they need vibration damper on front end.

- Akron, OH, USA

Oct 282010

F-350 8-cyl Diesel

Lost fan belt traveling 65/mph thereby lost all steering and brakes.was on secondary highway coasted into a small town and used my emergency brake to stop. My wife panicked just lucky I was driving, having been a mechanic for 35 years had enough sense to not panic and use emergency brake to stop.

- Butte, MT, USA

Sep 012011

F-350 Diesel

2005 Ford F-350. Letter on behalf of regarding her concerns with Ford Motor Company being held accountable for their defective 6.0 liter diesel engine vehicle; reply attn: Kim cordell/blountville, tn office the consumer stated the turbo was replaced four times. She also stated Ford has ignored the front end and steering problems as well.

- Newport, TN, USA

May 082011

F-350 8-cyl Diesel

While driving at highway speeds, bumps in the road surface cause a violent shimmy. Truck has stock suspension and oem tires. Tire pressure is per Ford specification (as indicated on the door pillar). Seems ntsb has investigated and determined the issue is due to suspension modifications or low tire pressure. This is not the case with this truck. All stock and deadly. Ntsb needs to reopen their investigation before someone is injured or killed.

- Dixon, CA, USA

May 282011

F-350

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F350. The contact stated that the steering wheel would shake violently. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who as unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer who also could not diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 24,000.

- Shippensburg, PA, USA

Sep 302005

F-350

When I'm driving at speeds of 65 to 70 and go over a bump in road the steering wheel shakes out of control. I had brought it back to dealer to have serviced and they told me "there is no problem, that's what you get from a heavy duty truck." What a load of crap! I have paper work documenting the truck went to dealer for steering out of control. Since then the shaking has caused me to replace ball joints and other parts trying to stop the problem. This shouldn't happen on new vehicle, much less one that costs $450. This really makes me mad.

- Andover, NJ, USA

Nov 152010

F-350

I have a 2005 F350 with a 4 inch lift. I have experienced the "Ford death wobble" 4 times in the last week. 3 times it was @ ~40 mph and 1 time it was at 75. Scared me to death. My brakes don't work when it happens and I have to coast to get it to stop. I had the shocks replaced (72K on truck) so the 1st shop I went to told me that would fix it. No such luck... I picked it up and right after it did it again. I just took it to a company who wants $700 to replace the pitman arm and gear box. I have not done this yet. Then I had a local 4X4 guy tell me that I need to replace the steering stabilizer shock and put a 2nd one on it. I have already spent $500 on shocks. The stabilizers will be $150. No one has a clear answer of what the issue is but they want me to keep spending $ on trying to figure it out. I talked to Ford and they seem to be like I have no idea what I am talking about. There is a guy online who sells an aftermarket stabilizer system for ~$900 but I think Ford should fix it this problem since its a design issue. Please help me. I don't have a lot of money to keep troubleshooting this. Ford should be held responsible. They say there is no recall on this issue but if you go out on the web, many other owners of my truck and the years and models around it are describing the same issue. I am scared to drive it. The shaking is extremely violent and I am lucky that the truck has been on a straightaway with no cars around me each time its happened....otherwise I could have flipped it and killed myself or someone else or someone dear to you... please look into this and see the stories on the web about people who have injured themselves and others due to this problem. Something has to be done.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Jan 082007

F-350

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-350 sd. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph over a bump, the front end of the vehicle would shake violently. The contact asked the dealer about the front end shake and the dealer stated they've never heard of this issue. Two other dealers informed the contact that vehicle needed to have the tires replaced. The contact replaced the tires and the violent shaking still occurred whenever the contact drove over a bump at highway speeds. The failure mileage was 19,000.

- Fernley, NV, USA

Sep 122009

F-350

I have a Ford F350 heavy duty 1 ton, I had experienced on separate occasions when traveling with speed around 50-65 mph, if a bump (slight) dip or any slight variance in road my truck will begin a violent shake. I had received the recall notice of improper air pressure and cause and effect. I have had my tire pressure checked on numerous occasions, I have also had taken my truck to local dealership to check front suspension, nothing found to be wrong with front end. (suspension). On Sept. 12, 09 I was traveling on hwy 199 coming from madill, ok (job) coming towards durant having employee in truck (front passenger seat) my truck began to violently shake, throwing my truck into a concrete bridge. I steered truck the best I could considering the truck was uncontrollable. The rear end of the truck climbed over the bridge throwing the truck nearly on its side landing in oncoming traffic facing opposite direction of travel 60ft. Away from bridge. My truck appears to be totaled. I owe more than the value of the truck and now. My employee and myself were treated to local hospital I now have a hernia from the impact of the truck into the bridge.. due to suspension. I had told officer that the truck had done this before I have received a ticket for not maintaining safe vehicle. My insurance does not cover my personal injuries. I feel like Ford has not own up to defect of the truck suspension. Maybe dot should investigate Ford again.

- Durant, OK, USA