2006 Ford F-350 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford F-350:

2006 Ford F-350 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 282010

I have an '06 F-350. At 55mph+, hitting a bump will almost cause the truck to self destruct. The steering wheel shakes violently. Ford seems to not be able to fix the issue. Please force a recall before people are killed.

- Camden, NJ, USA

Jun 102010

I have a 2006 Ford F350 Super Duty truck I purchased new and after 40,000 miles I notices once the front end shook so bad I almost crashed. I thought it was the road but a month later it happened again. I took it to the Ford dealer and they said they could do an alignment and also replace the steering stabilizer. After about $600 it happened 2 more times. It is such a bad shake when your going about 60-65 you could result in a serious accident. Something needs to be done.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jun 152010

This is in reference to ODI #10336687 filed on 6/16, 2010 concerning "wheel shimmy" on Ford F 350 trucks. After reading "defect investigations" concerning this topic, the NHTSA summary was that it seemed that the problem was caused by underinflated tires. It appears that the NHTSA and Ford, just like bp oil and the mineral department are greasing each others palms. For a safety arm of the govt. To say that this is a tire pressure problem is bull! please check out and read hundreds of posts with the same problem. What is it going to take, another oil spill like bp has created, crashes with deaths like Toyota is responsible for? I can see that it is useless to report this.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Jun 152010

I own a 2006 Ford F 350 superduty 1 ton pickup with approximately 40,000 miles. I have experienced what is called "death wobble" when hitting a bump, crossing railroad tracks or going over a rough road. The steering wheel will shake violently at speeds from 30-60+ causing a potential loss of control. Ford has sent out a memo stating that "you need to check your tire pressure". I have read hundreds of similar complaints on the internet dating back several years into the 1990's. Ford refuses to do anything about it and from what I have read on the internet, trying to find a fix for the problem, many have had really bad safety issues including accidents involving women drivers with children as passengers.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Feb 252009

At 200am today my horn on my 2006 F 350 started blowing. By the time I realized what was going on the wires had started to smoke under the hood. I had to disconnect both batteries in order for the horn to stop. This is the first time this is has happened to this truck. No other problems to report at this time. I will be having it towed to a dealer today

- Poplarville, MS, USA

Nov 012009

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F350 purchased October 2005. While driving at speeds less than 45 mph and towing a 30 foot trailer in light snow, the steering wheel suddenly turned to the right. He attempted to turn the steering wheel back to the straight position, but it turned in a full 365 degree turn without interference of the driver. He attempted to adjust the wheel however the tires would not respond. The driver then crashed into the median and was turned approximately 180 degrees. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they stated they have seen this type of failure on his year, make and model numerous times. They also found that the steering box in the vehicle was manufactured with the steering box designed for the F450 model as opposed to the F350 model. The highway patrol arrived to the scene shortly after and a report was filed. The failure mileage was 30,000. The current was 31,000.

- Freeland , WA, USA

Nov 302009

2006 Ford F350 superduty diesel driving on the fwy making a curve about 55mph the front end starts to hop violently and bouncing. Almost lost control due to other cars on the road. I had to apply my brakes on the fwy in a very unsafe manner and location causing car behind me to veer off in many directions as I came to a halt. This loss of control happened about a dozen times now in the last 2years with always the same situation fwy speeds and any type of bump in the road surface. Happened on uphill curves as well as flat or down hill curves. A lesser of driver may fail to make proper adjustments which I sure will lead to a crash or worse a death.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Feb 172007

F-350 8-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F350. While driving between 40 to 60 mph and when hitting bumps on the road the front end of the vehicle along with the steering column shimmies. Around may she received a notice about vehicle vibration. The dealer was contacted and a technician concluded that 4- wheel alignment was needed as well as a steering dampner. Updated. The failure mileage was 24200. The current mileage was 42500. Updated 11/04/09. Updated 11/05/09

- Ramona, CA, USA

Jun 012008

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F350 crew cab 4X4 which was purchased in 2005. While driving approximately 25 mph, the contact lost steering control when the steering wheel began shaking excessively. The manufacturer stated that they were aware of the failure. The manufacturer also confirmed that there were no related recalls; however, there were technical service bulletins. The front end of the vehicle was replaced as well as previous repairs were performed to correct the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 10,000 and the current mileage was 29,000.

- Morganhill, CA, USA

May 142009

Excessive front end shimmy on occasion with my Ford F350 4X4. I have received a letter from Ford discussing this issue. The first time the problem occurred, my tire pressure was low and subsequently maintaining proper tire pressure seemed to prevent the problem for a while. However, recently I hit some bumps while traveling on the highway at a speed of approximately 65 mph and the front end began to shimmy very violently. I knew to hit the brakes to regain control of the steering, but I had to stay on my brakes until I slowed to approximately 40 mph before I could regain control of the steering wheel. I called a local Ford service center, but they said they would "only be guessing" at the proper way to fix the problem. I then called Ford customer service to discuss the issue, as I am nervous about riding on the highway with the vehicle. They suggested that I call several service centers until I find one that has experience with trying to fix this particular problem. I have done that and I have made an appointment for service tomorrow. The reason for my writing this complaint is that the last occurring was so severe, that I was afraid of causing an accident due to the quick deceleration I was forced into in order to regain steering control of the vehicle.

- Tewksbury, MA, USA

May 152009

The Ford F-350 truck I bought is defective, as evidenced by the 7 power steering and brake repairs required in the past 3 years, along with the electrical system and ring and pinion repair. I have contacted Ford 24 times, I have filed a complaint with the mn better business bureau and the mn attorney general's office. I believe the truck was manufactured in a faulty manner, and I am afraid the truck may be dangerous to drive. I need your help in obtaining credit towards a new truck or a new truck due to the unacceptable number and type of repairs required.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Apr 152009

I own a Ford F350 dually Super Duty truck. Ford sent a letter stating that some drivers have experienced a severe steering wheel vibration. They said it isn't a recall, just a notice. We have had trouble w/this truck doing this prior to the letter. It's documented at brad howell Ford in greentown in. After receiving the letter we again went to bhf. We called Ford motor and told them, they said put stabilizers on it at our cost. We did. Plus new front shocks. The problem is still there. It is extremely dangerous when the vibration happens. We have to come to a complete stop sometimes. And we pull trailers behind the truck frequently. Needless to say, we have not been given any cause or solution to the problem. Ford motor took our information, passed it on to bhf, and they inturn said we were responsible for putting the steering stabilizers on. And that's pretty much it. We have to drive the truck to tn in 3 weeks, pulling a trailer. If this vibration occurs while on the interstate we pray an accident does not occur. I don't have another choice for vehicles. I feel that Ford knows there is a serious problem w/the steering, I've taken it to bhf for this particular issue prior to the letter, and still driving a truck that I consider unsafe, but my only option. Ford knows there is a problem, they should protect their consumers and find out the correct way to fix the problem.

- Marion, IN, USA

Aug 202006

2006 F-350 dually has a shimmer or severe vibration of the steering wheel that begins when a bump or dip in the road occurs and does not correct itself. Even though the tires are in good order. Ford Motor Co says there is nothing that can be done to correct this situation. Their letter of notification is dated April 2009.

- Stokes, NC, USA

Mar 012009

High pressure power steering hose defective. 425 hoses are on back order with Ford. No estimate of when a hose will be available. Customers have already been waiting 2 months. Meanwhile I am filling my power steering reservoir every couple of days.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

May 202008

F-350 4WD

I own a 4WD F350 dually. While traveling at highway speeds approx. 45mph and above and after traveling over an uneven road surface or bump in the road, the front end goes into an uncontrollable shimmy/oscillation. This can only be stopped by pulling over and completely stopping the vehicle. I have taken the truck to a Ford dealership who checked the front end and said there was nothing wrong w/ the truck and that it was a tire problem. I have since then bought new tires which somewhat lessened the problem but did not correct it. I also have taken the truck to a reputable independent alignment shop, and they told me that they have seen a lot of trucks w/ the same problem, but are unable to fix it due to the design of the front end. The independent shop said there is to much castor in the front end and no way to adjust it. I am now on my third set of tires w/ only 45000 miles on the truck. I bought this truck for around $ $48,000 and have had this problem since the truck had about 23000 miles on it. I cant even drive it on the interstate due to the uncontrollable front end shimmy. The Ford dealership will not acknowledge that I have a problem. I have searched the internet and have found post after post of people who have the same problem with their truck and the lack of acknowledgment from Ford. This is a very serious problem and to date I have spent over $ $1,600 trying to remedy it. I hope some one from your dept. Is familiar w/ this and could possibly help me. Thank you stephen hall

- Hickory, NC, USA

May 102008

06 F350 dually diesel crew cab. When driving anywhere between 50-70 mph and hit a pothole the front end goes into a death wobble and is not controlled until vehicle is slowed to 30 mph. Almost lost control of vehicle on los angeles freeways. Has happened multiple times and have been to Ford dealer with no assistance. Last episode was last week, then my insurance co told me to file complaint in case of accident that is not my fault but a vehicle defect. Aaa also sent me to this forum of other Ford owners that have had the same complaint.

- Shadow Hills, CA, USA

Apr 262008

2006 F-350 front end shakes violently on occasion. Usually occurs with a change in level of interstate as in driving over an overpass back onto the normal road surface. Speed is usually around 65-70 mph when it happens. Immediate reduction to approximately 30 mph is required to make it stop. Has happened 6 times so far and almost caused an accident on 3 of those occasions.

- Calhoun, LA, USA

Apr 222007

F-350 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F350. The contact stated that the brakes will lock and cause the calipers to burn. A small fire occurred during one of the failures. The brakes and calipers have been replaced four times, most recently on April 22, 2007. The dealer stated that the cause of the frequent failures could be due to several reasons; however, they were unable to diagnose the exact cause of the failures. The manufacturer assisted with the first four failures, but would not assist with the current one. The vehicle is currently at the dealer being repaired. The current mileage was 66,672 and failure mileage was 800. Updated 10/14/08 the consumer also stated he has had a problem with the steering wheel. Updated 10/16/08.

- Oriskany Falls, NY, USA

Feb 222006

F-350 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

: the contact stated that while driving at 30 mph and pulling a trailer, the steering mechanism detached. The vehicle veered out of control and struck a wall. The accident was reported to the police. There was no warning prior to the failure, and the contact was injured in the accident. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The dealer was unable to determine the cause of the failure, but was able to repair the steering mechanism.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA