3.0

2011 Ford F-350 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-350:

2011 Ford F-350 Owner Comments

May 012016

F-350

Started the truck and was running odd. Decided to start driving to see if the problem would work it self out and started to smell lots of diesel fuel. Pulled over and fuel was everywhere under the hood and on the ground and also a very strong diesel smell inside the cab. Had it towed to the deal and turns out that a fuel injector clamp failed. We also found out Ford has already identified these parts as defective, and have started using a new part with a new part number. This should be a recall. This truck only has 61,000 miles on it. The fuel is atomized in the spray from the injector, this is a serious safety issue that could have resulted in a fire, or worse.

- New Hudson, MI, USA

Jan 012015

F-350

Fuel tank collapsed. Had a 2011 F350 and the fuel tank collapsed on itself the truck is a service body, took to the dealer and they said we damaged the tank and tried to cover it up by putting a new skid plate on it. Not the case the truck has never left the pavement so whatever they recommend we replace it so we did, this is a (steel tank mind you) the next day it did it again so we took to dealer again, they said the vent valve solenoid was plugged so they replaced that and put a new tank in it next day it did it again took back to dealer sat there for almost six months and they said the ECM or PCM was bad, they wouldn't cover anything in parts so far so we paid for that too. Got it back ran great for six months and now has the same issue. Don't wanna dump more money into it as we spent close to 9,000 the time and the dealer wont cover it again. So has anyone else had this issue? the dealer says its never happened anywhere to anyone before.

- Chowchilla, CA, USA

Jan 262016

F-350

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-350. The contact stated that when the vehicle was started, the fuel injector clamp fractured causing a fuel leak. The vehicle was towed to the dealer to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 62,000. Updated 05/06/16

- Newfane, NY, USA

Oct 092015

F-350

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-350. After refueling the vehicle and driving approximately 60 mph while hauling a fifth wheel trailer, the vehicle lost power, steering and braking power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that water entered the diesel fuel system and further diagnostic testing was required to determine what parts needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the water intrusion warning indicator failed to illuminate to indicate the failure, the water separator system failed, and the diesel fuel filter failed to keep any contaminants out of the system. The dealer did not address the fact that the components failed. The manufacturer was notified the failures. The insurance company was also going to investigate the fuel station the contact re-fueled from and the internal failure to the diesel fuel system. The contact was waiting to determine the remedy to repair the vehicle. The VIN and failure mileage were not available. Updated 1/15/16

- Alexandria, LA, USA

Jul 252015

F-350

While traveling North bound on the Maine turnpike at mm 34 I experienced a loss of power. I was in the left lane with heavy traffic. I made my way safely to the right hand breakdown lane. I noticed white smoke coming from under the hood. I heard a popping sound. After I stopped, the engine was still running, but smoke was coming from under the hood and starting to enter the cab on the right side. I shut the engine off and but on my emergency flashers. Traffic was very heavy. I exited the cab and looked under the hood. There was no fire, but I could smell diesel fuel. The truck has the 6.7 liter Ford diesel. I noticed fuel leaking onto the frame on the right side behind the front tire. I called Ford roadside assistance and was towed to the Ford dealer in portsmouth, nh where I bought the truck. When I got home I did some research online and found out the hold down clamp for the fuel injectors had been replaced by a new part number. These crack and can allow the injector to blow out of the cylinder head. They spray fuel in the engine compartment after exiting the head. Ford has issued a tsb 12-3-4 on the matter. Others have experienced this problem. Why has this not been recalled is beyond me.I was surprised I did not have a fire! Ford will only replace the affected part, not all 8. I have opened a case with Ford to have all 8 replaced. At this point in time the part is back ordered. The dealer did locate 1 and will be installing it tomorrow. I assume this is a redesigned part.

- Lee, NH, USA

Jul 242014

F-350

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-350. While driving approximately 30 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact was unable to start the vehicle after several attempts. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and they stated that the fuel temperature sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Jul 032014

F-350 8-cyl Diesel

Stopped at bp gas station in pocahantas, il for diesel. Pump handle and button were green. Apparently was 85 octane gasoline. Drove approximately 7 miles East on I-70 when unleaded fuel hit the fuel injectors and lost power while hauling a 3,300 lb camper and 21' fiberglass boat with tandem axle while in the #2 (high-speed) lane attempting to pass a slower vehicle at approximately 70 mph. Lost all power, check engine light came on and signaled immediately for right turn, and pulled to the side of the highway. Called three Ford dealerships in the local area and two said they couldn't even look at it for a week. Paid additional towing to have it towed to schmidt Ford, salem, il and it sat until Monday before I was called and told it would cost me $8,500 estimate to replace the entire fuel system (injectors, fuel rails, high and low pressure pump, tank, and fuel filter). Service rep told me if I didn't do the repairs they would have to notify Ford of the warranty violation against Ford's job-aid for this continued problem. I researched the issue on multiple forums and discovered there is a de-lamination issue occurring with the fuel tanks that is causing high pressure pump failures. Since I didn't drive it for a prolonged period I instructed the service tech to drain the entire system including the return line, to which they told me that would require dropping the tank, and I told them to drop the tank, empty it of all contents, inspect for delamination, change the fuel filter, and put fresh diesel fuel into it and run it and call me back. They did not call me back and when I called 5 minutes before close of business on Tuesday they said it's fixed and running fine. I had to ask how much the bill was and was told it was $640 (approx). Returned to the dealership on Thursday (10 July 14) and picked up the vehicle, paid the bill and returned home (896 miles).

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jan 232013

F-350 8-cyl Diesel

According to Ford the truck's fuel pump went out. They said it was back ordered. 1100 trucks affected. I don't believe Ford is supplying the whole story on the issue and their is a lot more to it. Ford is hiding something and you should look into it. I fortunately was in a safe place when the pump went out but others may not be.

- Sparks, NV, USA