2012 Ford F-350 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-350:

2012 Ford F-350 Owner Comments

Mar 022015

F-350 4WD 8-cyl

Radiator failed at 37,500 miles due to leaking. Engine overheated. This is a common problem with this particular vehicle and Ford is aware, as they extended the warranty on the 2008 (same model radiator) and have since changed the design on the latest model. They will not cover this item under the 100K mile powertrain warranty, and will not extend the warranty on a common failure item. Failure of the radiator can not only cause engine damage but can be a safety concern if engine self destructs while driving due to overheating.

- New Cumberland , WV, USA

Sep 102013

The first time it happened to me I was on a trip in Canada from Texas. The road was a little bumpy (farm road) I was driving 30 M/H accelerating to get to 60 M/H when all of sudden the truck started shaking so badly my head hit the side window. I couldn't steer the truck at all I slowed down to 0M/H put it on park then started rolling slowly and it was gone. It did it to me 3 times on a 3 weeks period. Since the roads are bad up there I kinda left it as that and told my husband about it when I came back to Texas. We had the tires rotated and they couldn't see anything else wrong under the truck. I was months without having anything similar happening to me and yesterday I am on I-10 rolling about 65M/H and there it goes again and it was worst then the other times I fell my truck was about to explode from under me shaking to no end and no steering control at all even when letting go the gas it kept going and shaking and my truck shake its way from one lane to another one and finally stopped 3 inches from the retaining wall of the overpass. I could have killed myself. I had no more control at all on this truck which is a (2012 F-350 king ranch with about 40,000 miles on it) luckely for me I was almost alone on the highway. I called my dealer and they told me to bring in the truck next Tuesday to see what is wrong with it. I ask if there was a recall and they did not say yes or no just to bring the truck in. I got another 2012 F-350 lariat and my husband said his truck did it to him once a while back. I write up the outcome after the visit at the dealer.

- Highlands, TX, USA

Sep 042012

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-350 sd. The contact stated that the ignition was started and he shifted from four wheel low to four wheel high range. Once the gear lever was placed in reverse, the transfer case failed to respond, accompanied by an abnormally loud grinding noise. The vehicle then unexpectedly accelerated in reverse, which resulted in a crash. The contact sustained nerve damage to the spinal cord and severe injuries to the hands. A police report was not filed of the incident. There was also a strong ammonia odor that emitted inside of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the shifter control and transfer case were replaced however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and they were still unable to remedy the problem. The contact also mentioned that the gear would not shift from revere to drive properly. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 300.

- Lithia, FL, USA

Mar 182013

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-350 sd. The contact stated that after shifting into park while on an incline, the vehicle rolled away and crashed into another vehicle. There were no injuries. The police were not contacted. The vehicle was later taken to the dealer but was not diagnosed. In addition, when the contact placed a load behind the vehicle, it would independently shift into neutral. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was approximately 48,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Taylors, SC, USA

Apr 102012

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-350. The contact stated that the vehicle would not engage when shifted into reverse. When the vehicle was shifted into reverse, the contact would have to depress the accelerator pedal and allow the engine rpms to increase before the vehicle would abruptly engage in reverse. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer however, the dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact was advised by the dealer that the failure was common for the particular make and model vehicle. The failure recurred most often when the engine and transmission were warm. The contact also stated that the transmission would shift abruptly when shifting from fourth to fifth gear. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 3,000 and the current mileage was 5,500.

- Billings, MT, USA

Jan 052011

F-350 8-cyl

Delayed reaction of accelerator : engine RPM does not decrease immediately when accelerator pedal is released therefore making the vehicle difficult to stop in an emergency situation.

- Novelty, OH, USA