2012 Ford F-350 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-350:

2012 Ford F-350 Owner Comments

Feb 242015

Driving along cold windy winter day, I got a message on the dash "stop safely now". motor immediately went into limp mode, complete loss of engine power to the point where I had all I could do to get out of traffic. As soon as truck came to a slow creep, motor shut off. Truck had power however engine would not turn over, basically the truck left me stranded roadside. Called Ford roadside assistance, they said it would take up to an hour to get a tow (unacceptable). I was left inside the truck with no heat. Ended up calling a friend to tow me to a better location. This is a horrible design flaw shutting the motor down like that. Driver should be able to keep motor running to keep heater on. Driver should be able to proceed a few miles per hour to get out of a dangerous situation (stuck in an intersection, stuck on railroad crossing, stuck on bridge, etc). Many of these vehicles are designed and used to pull large trailers, rv trailers etc. I cannot imagine pulling a large trailer and having that situation occur while driving 65mph on a four lane highway. Very dangerous situation. My investigation is that Ford recalled all the F series that came equipped with the ambulance package however they decided not to recall all the other F series trucks that did not have the ambulance package. Evidently Ford believes that ambulance drivers and passengers are more important than all the other F series drivers with the same engine and components. Someone is going to get killed over this flaw and for what, a $ $60 sensor?. these trucks are 50-60K new and to be left stranded over a simple low cost part is unacceptable and dangerous. Look at all the crashes that occurred with GM with the ignition situation. This situation is as dangerous by allowing the engine to completely shutdown. Owner is left helpless and more than likely in a dangerous situation.

- Sussex, WI, USA

Aug 282013

F-350 4WD 8-cyl

The truck dash display read stop vehicle safely. I immediately looked for a driveway and found on about 50' on the left. I barely made it into the parking lot I had chosen when the engine shut down. I did not make it to a parking spot, but I was off the road. Vehicle was towed to dealer and problem was found with the egt exhaust temp sensor. It was replaced. I was billed $86.20 for the work. Aaa paid the tow, but if I hadn't had that, I'd be out that as well.

- Northville, MI, USA

Apr 052014

F-350 4WD 8-cyl

On two different occasions now, my 2012 F350 6.7 powerstroke engine is shutdown due to a egt sensor failure. When this happens, you loose power within seconds. If you are not in a position to pull over at once, you are stranded in the road or highway. This is a fatality waiting to happen, if it has not already. Ford with replace the sensor free if under 36,000 miles but they have no long term corrective action to resolve this. They just keep on replacing them again and again. This is a major issue with thousands of owners at risk everyday. Just read the reviews under "Ford 6.7 egt sensor problems" from what I am told by many folks, Ford has not intention of resolving this long term. I have a $65K truck that I can not depend on and even worse could get my family injured or killed. Please help!

- Red Oak, TX, USA

Dec 112014

Turbo charger tube failed at the plastic connection joint on the turbo. Plastic connection broke causing a sudden loss of power at highway speed. 4-failures in fleet trucks with the same issue. One turbo hose had a crimp band joint failure. This could result in a rear end crash on a truck pulling a trailer. Ford said its not a problem. 6.7 engine equipped.

- Goldsboro , NC, USA

Jun 192014

F-350 8-cyl Diesel

I was traveling with my three young children to a town approximately 40 miles from our home. I was going about 70 mph on the freeway, and just as I started to exit at an off ramp a warning tone sounded and my dash flashed "stop safely now". I was exiting anyway and there was no where to pull over, so I continued up the ramp. I quickly turned into the nearby parking lot, and just as I quickly pulled into a parking spot the pickup completely died. It was only about 30 seconds from when I was first alerted to a problem to the vehicle completely shutting off. It was pure luck that I was able to find a safe place to pull over that quickly. I just kept thinking about how dangerous that could have been had I not been able to immediately get off the freeway. If I had lost power on the freeway there could have been a terrible accident. We were then completely stranded and had to wait for a tow. Luckily the weather was fair as we would have been unable to use any heat or air conditioning while we waited for what could have been hours for a tow. Not to mention that we live in a very rural area and often times do not have cell service. Also, we frequently are towing our stock trailer loaded with horses or cattle going up and down steep grades. I can only imagine what would happen if the pickup decided to shut off at those times. I was truly shaken up by this incident and the thought of what could have happened if the circumstances had been different. I am pleading with you to prevent certain future tragedy by forcing Ford to fix this problem. It's a simple fix (in my case it took the dealer less than an hour) and there is no excuse.

- Centervile, WA, USA

Jan 052011

F-350 8-cyl

Delayed reaction of accelerator : engine RPM does not decrease immediately when accelerator pedal is released therefore making the vehicle difficult to stop in an emergency situation.

- Novelty, OH, USA