2.7

2004 Ford F-450 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford F-450:

2004 Ford F-450 Owner Comments

Mar 212010

F-450

Fuel tank delamination. Trucks started running bad, would eventually stop. Has left me and my employees stranded several times, sometimes in unsafe traffic areas. New fuel tanks installed, fuel pumps injectors put in new. Entire fuel system cleaned. Just under $5000 each time. Ford says biofuel is the cause. Never have used biofuel in anything.

- Flower Mound , TX, USA

Feb 242010

F-450 8-cyl Diesel

2004 Ford F-450 Super Duty. Truck was running as if it was running out of fuel, got to a stop light and the truck stalled. Got the truck to restart. That evening I had the fuel filters changed thinking that was the problem, then the truck ran fine. Two days later the truck did the same thing, and I was driving at 25mph, truck would not run any faster, then the truck stalled in the middle of a two lane road. The truck at this time did not restart. I had to get the truck towed. I got advice from a mechanic and he drained the tank and he found silver flakes in the tank. I called universal Ford in richmond Virginia and they had it towed there to look at the truck, and the technician verified that the tank was contaminated from the tank due to delamination of the interior of the tank. Ford Motor Company said that the cost was $783.93 for parts and $258.10 for labor, for a total of $1042.03 and Ford motor was willing to pay only $312. This is only for a tank replacement, not the filters, fuel pump or injectors if these parts are contaminated. I refused the service, on the fact that the service manager said that this will probably happen again with the new tank as well. I have found someone that can fix my tank for less money, but I would like results and this needs to be addressed before someone does get killed, if they haven't already. Ford is saying to my knowledge that this is the low-sulfur diesel fuel and not there fuel tanks. I have contacted a lawyer and he is dealing with other clients with the same issue.

- Powhatan, VA, USA

Apr 072009

F-450

The diesel fuel tank on my 2004 Ford F450 is delaminating on the inside of the tank and causing fuel contamination with metalic particles. If this condition had gone undiscovered it would have resulted in failure of the injector pump and ultimatly the engine itself. This is a serious factory defect with driver/passenger safety implications for all late model Ford Super Duty trucks. Ford should be forced to recall these trucks and replace the defective tanks reengineered fuel tanks.

- Los Osos, CA, USA

Dec 262008

F-450

This complaint stems from problems experienced with my 2004 Ford F-450 diesel powered truck. I purchased this 2004 Ford new truck in late 2004. At present, the odometer reads approximately 63,000 miles. I experience loss of power at various intervals which causes the vehicle to slow down and power is limited to a few miles-per-hour. I have returned the truck to Ford for repair numerous times and Ford has not been able to repair the problem. Ford has replaced the turbo two times, the wiring harness, the egr and other parts in the attempt to repair the problem. I returned this truck to Ford again on 12-26-2008. The service department removed the fuel filter and they found that the lamination or lining of the fuel tank has separated from the metal which makes up the fuel tank. This appears as a flaky silver substance which clogged the fuel filter and lines and is very expensive to repair. I have researched this failure on the internet and it appears that there are hundreds of complaints which point to the same failure of the Ford fuel tank, especially on diesel powered vehicles. A sampling of the internet posts can be viewed at www.finishing.com/442/19.shtml. it appears that Ford has taken the position that the problem is due to the fuel that is used in the normal operation of the vehicle. I do not believe this statement to be true. I believe there is a manufacturers defect in the application of this laminate or, that the laminate is not of correct material for the intended purpose. The bond which holds the laminate to the steel fuel tank is breaking down and causing the vehicle to malfunction. I urge you to investigate this matter immediately. I know your department is aware of this problem because I have read your response in numerous internet chat rooms and I urge you to act immediately to demand Ford recall and make right these manufacturer defects. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

- Steger, IL, USA

Aug 252008

F-450

I have a complaint about the fuel tank in my 2004 F-450, the truck was losing power and driving like a plugged fuel filter and after changing fuel filters many times I had found a "grey flake like" materials in both filters. I decided to take truck to Ford dealer in Lincoln, ne to have looked at and fixed. They called back telling me the fuel tank lining was bad in the fuel tank and needed to be replaced at my expense. It also caused one injector to go bad(hopefully not more) and a "nozzle assembly". they charged me to dispose of the 25(or so) gallons of fuel, and charged me for new fuel. The total bill was $2066.23. They said they talked to Ford and Ford would not warranty anything. In looking on internet there are many people with same problem. The tank has a liner in it that has dissolved causing the problems. I am the original owner, truck has 32000 miles and should not! need a fuel tank after 4 years. I have old fuel tank. Thanks, chris kems.

- Yutan, NE, USA

Apr 082005

F-450 8-cyl Diesel

Operating in route to a medical emergency call. Removed foot from accelerator to apply brakes, when returned to throttle; engine remained at idle. Had to dispatch another ambulance to the call. Towed the iunit to a local dealer. Dealer has replaced the throttle sensor. Unknown if retained old part.

- Charleston, SC, USA