2004 Ford F-550 cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford F-550:

2004 Ford F-550 Owner Comments

Aug 172009

04 Ford F550 sd dump truck was bought new on 12/04.. in April 2005 transmission leaked fluid while in park and truck was towed to dealer. The dealer claimed cause of problem was due to loose bolts on trans case. Transmission continued to slip but dealer could not find problem. February 2006, approximately 16,000 miles on truck, transmission completely fails. Truck towed to dealership and new transmission installed. On June 2008 (approximately 56,000 miles) while driving on major highway, truck begins to lose power and black smoke pours out of muffler. The truck was driven to local dealership and diagnosed with a blown turbo. Ford did not cover cost of repair. I paid $4,500 out of pocket to replace turbo. August 2009 (approximately 68,000 miles) again while driving on major highway, truck loses power and stalls. Truck was towed to Ford dealership and diagnosed with clogged injectors due to deteriorating gas tank. Dealer advised me that all 8 injectors would have to be replaced and new fuel pump installed. The total cost of repairs would be $4,300 and it would not be covered by Ford. I was incensed to say the least...after getting a second opinion, I paid an additional $475 and had the truck towed to another Ford dealership which made the repairs without any cost to me. The fuel tank was not replaced even though it was the cause of the problem. I replaced the tank and paid $750 out of pocket...December 27, 2010 (96,000 miles) without warning, transmission begins to slip. I contacted the Ford dealership that made the last repairs. I was told the transmission was out of warranty and would not be covered by Ford. It would cost $4,200 to replace. I took truck to a local transmission repair shop and paid $3,000 to rebuild transmission. Its obvious that Ford does not back up their product. I will never buy another Ford again!!!!

- New Brunswick, NJ, USA

Nov 202009

I purchased a 2004 F550 Ford truck in 2005 with 13,000 orginial miles. I statrted having problems at 40,000 miles when the warranty ran out. I have two major problems: (1) the liner in the fuel tank separated from the tank and went through the fuel system. I had to replace the tank, injectors, and injector pump. (2) the head gaskets blew and the truck has no power. I plan on repairing the gaskets this week. When driving at any speed, the truck suddenly stops. I have contacted my dealer and went through their assistance program. They did not help with the repairs. I have contacted Ford's customer complaint division and experienced the same results. I spoke with several Ford mechanics and the above two items are ongoing major problems. I am looking for immediate assistance with repairing the 6.0 diesel engine. The vehicle is unsafe to drive and a hazard to other drivers on the road. This is a severe highway safety issue. Please contact me as soon as possible to resolve these problems. Thanks. Pat christoff 301-748-5466

- Frederick, MD, USA

Mar 022009

F-550 Diesel

I bought a Ford F450 new and from day one I have problems with the 6.0 diesel engine. The latest was a blown intercoller and to engine cylinders.

- Methuen, MA, USA