2004 Ford F-550 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford F-550:

2004 Ford F-550 Owner Comments

Jun 012011

The contact owns a 1997 Ford F-550 Super Duty. The contact stated the vehicle would stall while driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed the vehicle was stalling due to delamination of the fuel tank. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 144,250.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 172009

04 Ford F550 sd dump truck was bought new on 12/04.. in April 2005 transmission leaked fluid while in park and truck was towed to dealer. The dealer claimed cause of problem was due to loose bolts on trans case. Transmission continued to slip but dealer could not find problem. February 2006, approximately 16,000 miles on truck, transmission completely fails. Truck towed to dealership and new transmission installed. On June 2008 (approximately 56,000 miles) while driving on major highway, truck begins to lose power and black smoke pours out of muffler. The truck was driven to local dealership and diagnosed with a blown turbo. Ford did not cover cost of repair. I paid $4,500 out of pocket to replace turbo. August 2009 (approximately 68,000 miles) again while driving on major highway, truck loses power and stalls. Truck was towed to Ford dealership and diagnosed with clogged injectors due to deteriorating gas tank. Dealer advised me that all 8 injectors would have to be replaced and new fuel pump installed. The total cost of repairs would be $4,300 and it would not be covered by Ford. I was incensed to say the least...after getting a second opinion, I paid an additional $475 and had the truck towed to another Ford dealership which made the repairs without any cost to me. The fuel tank was not replaced even though it was the cause of the problem. I replaced the tank and paid $750 out of pocket...December 27, 2010 (96,000 miles) without warning, transmission begins to slip. I contacted the Ford dealership that made the last repairs. I was told the transmission was out of warranty and would not be covered by Ford. It would cost $4,200 to replace. I took truck to a local transmission repair shop and paid $3,000 to rebuild transmission. Its obvious that Ford does not back up their product. I will never buy another Ford again!!!!

- New Brunswick, NJ, USA

Dec 152007

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-550 sd. The contact stated the vehicle would intermittently lose power when driving at various speeds. On one occasion that the failure occurred, the contact shut off the engine and when restarting, he was able to drive a very short distance before the failure recurred. The vehicle would not accelerate past 5 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the fuel pump, filters, fuel tank and eight fuel injectors would need to be replaced because the fuel tank was rusted. The manufacturer advised the failure occurred because the contact failed to keep the fuel tank full. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 27,120 and the current mileage was approximately 46,000.

- Berlin, CT, USA

May 072010

We own a fleet of Ford diesel engine trucks which continue to experience fuel delivery problems. The problem is engine cut-off and surging and hard starting. Ford says not their problem and charges us. I don't think we have the only ones. Toyota is not the only company not dealing with this problem. Think only the government will make them fix it.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 292010

We purchased a Ford F550 6.0L diesel truck new in 2004 and have been the only ones to drive it and have done proper care and maintenance of this vehicle. It has less than 40,000 miles on it. The vehicle would not start for no reason on April 29, 2010 necessitating it being towed to the local Ford dealership. They diagnosed a bad ficm (fuel injection control module) and replaced it. I have found there was a recall on this vehicle for this problem, campaign number 05V270000 on 6/10/05. Due to the low miles and proper care of this vehicle I am wondering if this problem is related to that recall. We use this in our work and had the ficm gone out while we were driving it with a load of chips it could have potentially been extremely hazardous.

- Sandy, OR, USA

Nov 202008

F-550 8-cyl Diesel

Fuel injector problems 3 times, vehicle broke down, fuel tank problems, vehicle will stall or start running so badly that U couldn't go, and other vehicles would almost hit my vehicle, could never tell when it was going to happen defective fuel tank....?

- Lusby, MD, USA

Nov 202009

I purchased a 2004 F550 Ford truck in 2005 with 13,000 orginial miles. I statrted having problems at 40,000 miles when the warranty ran out. I have two major problems: (1) the liner in the fuel tank separated from the tank and went through the fuel system. I had to replace the tank, injectors, and injector pump. (2) the head gaskets blew and the truck has no power. I plan on repairing the gaskets this week. When driving at any speed, the truck suddenly stops. I have contacted my dealer and went through their assistance program. They did not help with the repairs. I have contacted Ford's customer complaint division and experienced the same results. I spoke with several Ford mechanics and the above two items are ongoing major problems. I am looking for immediate assistance with repairing the 6.0 diesel engine. The vehicle is unsafe to drive and a hazard to other drivers on the road. This is a severe highway safety issue. Please contact me as soon as possible to resolve these problems. Thanks. Pat christoff 301-748-5466

- Frederick, MD, USA

Jun 232006

F-550 8-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F550 sd. The contact was driving approximately between 45- 55 mph. The engine stalled without warning. The engine failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer. The failure was contributed to the fuel injector which was replaced on three separate occasions. The failure continued with no resolutions. The failure mileage was 25,000. The current mileage was 184,602. Updated 12/08/10. The radiator hose was replaced. Updated 12/13/10

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Sep 242009

Discovered my F550 superduty 6.0 diesel at 94000 miles with 8 months over its warranty had an exhaust leak coming from both sides of its 6.0 liter diesel engine exhaust manifolds. These fumes were coming into the passenger compartment at idle. At the same mileage, dealer discovered that engine had oil in coolant and that its entire passenger side injectors were malfunctioning along with the fuel pump and its regulator. Excessive fuel in engine, running very lean could cause engine to cease while driving. Dealer advised that oil in coolant is common for these engines and that this causes a other malfunctions such as head gaskets to go. The exhaust manifolds were repaired at approx. $1172. The other engine work was not repaired as of yet due to it costing approx. $4240. The head gasket work would cost another $6000. Ford said it would not cover the repairs because I was the second owner. BBB complaint filed and in search for class action law suit to cover repairs only.

- New Freedom, PA, USA

Dec 122008

I own two 2004 Ford F-550 and one 2003 F-550 superduty trucks. Interior fuel tank coating is de-laminating and rusting at around 100,000 miles. Vehicles stop without any warning. Silvery material in water separator and fuel filters. I know of several vehicle owners that have this same problem and Ford will do nothing. My vehicles stop suddenly in heavy traffic and we were lucky no one was injured. I have replaced the 2003 and one 2004 tank assembly. Other 2004 is showing silvery residue also. I know of a dealer in St louis mo., that has replaced many tanks for customers with the same problem. This is a defective tank coating and Ford should be held responsible. It is my understanding they (Ford) have known of this issue since 2005 and will do nothing. Do people need to be hurt/killed before action is taken? is Ford still making these tanks with the defective coating, if so they should be stopped asap before someone gets killed because a vehicle stalls without warning. There is a tsb on the fuel tank vent, my vehicles have been to Ford dealers and this was never brought to my attention. Do I have to always ask if there is a recall, tsb or whatever or am I at Ford's mercy. Smacks of a cover up and willful negligence.

- Ft Collins, CO, USA

Feb 022009

2004 Ford model 5500 F series dump truck with 43,000 miles diesel fuel tank delamination & damage caused to motor.

- East Islip, NY, USA

Jan 042009

2004 Ford F550 44K miles truck stopped running dealer told me that the fuel tank is rusting from the in side out. Dealer told me that they changed out about 50 tanks so far and Ford would not cover it. Ford is say its a fuel problem. This fuel problem is not affecting Chevy truck fuel tanks. The mechanic let me look in side old tank you can see debris floating in tank. Fords failure to fix this cost me $2370. And the worst part they put the same tank in new one but the same. Dealer said I should look for a after market tank online that what other customer are doing. I read on line 75,000 tank failure so far. Ford need to admit their is a problem.

- Broad Brook, CT, USA

Nov 172008

November 2008, our Ford truck broke down due to fuel problems. Truck was towed in and fuel filter was checked. Tiny silver flakes clogged the filter. Mechanic alerted us that Ford is having a problem with their fuel tank liners separating, and that they are not taking claim on it. Truck filter was changed and it ran fine for about a month.. we pulled the fuel filter again only to find "flakes" in the filter again. Searched on the internet showed countless people having the same problem, and having to dish out thousands in repair costs only to have it happen again to them. No replacement available on the market that will solve the problem for good, everyone is forced to buy Ford replacement. Also no one knows if this will result in failure of the fuel filter and injectors down the road after the warranty on these items runs out.

- Frederick, PA, USA

Dec 012008

Currently own a 2004 Ford F550 dump truck with the fuel tank delaminating. Ford is not willing to accept responsibility for this failure. Help !!!

- Gillette, NJ, USA

Feb 092006

F-550 8-cyl Diesel

Follow up to original complaint I had originally thought that a missed recall repair was the reason for the engine stalling...and not restarting. After having the vehicle towed and inspected by hub city Ford...the mechanics found slime in both fuel tanks. The slime had clogged the fuel system and caused the motor to stop. Hub city Ford's personnel were all as surprised as I was. They were helpful in showing extra attention to this...and have repaired it all. I believe the slimy substance had been put in before they had it...and before I bought it. Possibly during the previous ownership. This is to close this complaint. I am satisfied with all hub city Ford has taken care of for me...with great care. The sales person I bought it with...Mr. Bill boudrier...the service mgr....Mr. Carroll and the tech's. thank you.

- New Iberia, LA, USA