Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Welcome to North America, Ford Fiesta. Thanks for bringing your herky-jerky transmission, numerous interior quality complaints, and an engine that dies while driving.

2011 Ford Fiesta drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Fiesta:

2011 Ford Fiesta Owner Comments (Page 2 of 11)

Mar 102016

My daughter drives this car. Car stutters when driving, idle goes up to 3K, overheat icon came on, idle goes high but car decelerates, car bucks like a Bronco. Ford charged us over $500 to replace a cooling fan, did 3 software upgrades, said they replaced the transmission control module, same issues repeated except for the overheat icon, idle still went high and car stutters, bucks, again the trans stopped propelling the car. Now they say it's the throttle body and want over $800 !! to repair it. The 2011 Ford Fusion has a similar problem and is now covered for free under a customer satisfaction program, all of the windows in the car are hard to raise, you have to manually push them up while holding the up button. The throttle issue is new but why didn't those codes turn up previously when the car exhibited the same symptoms? imo this is a poorly manufactured vehicle. Only 79K miles and sooooo many problems.

- Azle, TX, USA

Mar 082016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. While at a stop, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact attempted to shift into park, but the gear shifter failed to shift out of drive. The contact had to restart the vehicle in order to shift into park and resume normal function. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Chicago Heights, IL, USA

Jan 112016

My car will not go in gear. I took it to Ford on 2/2/15 because my car was stalling when I put it in gear they ran test and said my car was fine.. it not running.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jan 112016

Transmission studders and hesitates in lower gears when turning or pulling up to parking area slowly. Transmission has been serviced by Ford 3 times but we are now waiting 8-12 weeks for another set of clutches mean while it is getting worse to drive.

- Sun City, AZ, USA

Jan 012015

While driving, vehicle shudders and hesitates when accelerating. Lurches forward at times when stopped. Bucks while shifting (transmission is their powershift automatic). One time the transmission completely disengaged while driving on the parkway during a snowstorm, leaving in a very dangerous position. Had to turn the car off and on several times to get transmission to "reset". at times, when releasing brake from stationary position, car would shudder even before applying the throttle. Transmission control module has been changed out twice in the last 15 months of purchasing the car from the dealer as "certified pre-owned". last tcm change, the car had same issues as soon as I left service department. Called service adviser as soon as I got home and he said I had to drive the vehicle 1000-12000 miles for the transmission to "get used to the way I drive". needless to say, after 2000 miles, there has been no change in condition. Taking vehicle back for the 5th time for continued problems. I have recently inquired about a class action law suit against Ford Motor Company being filed in ca regarding these same issues from other Ford Fiesta owners.

- Massapequa Park, NY, USA

Jan 182016

On several occasions the vehicle has experienced decreased acceleration as well as delayed acceleration. Since June of 2011 to January 2016 I have had the clutch replaced 8 or 9 times with the power train module being reprogrammed. The problem still persists. Now Jan. 18th 2016 the car is experiencing a transmission malfunction. It will not accelerate over 10 miles an hour. Rendering the vehicle undrivable. I can't seem to get help from Ford or sunstate Ford in which the vehicle was purchased. Everytime they service the vehicle they state shuddering and the acceleration issues are normal functions of the vehicle. However each time they have replace the clutch or reprogrammed computers associated with the transmission. At the intersection of 441 and david walker dr in eustis fl we experienced the transmission malfunction leaving us in the middle of traffic trying to manuever at 10 miles an hour.

- Eustis, FL, USA

Jan 012014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that while at a stop light, the vehicle shook and sputtered. The contact also indicated that the vehicle hesitated to accelerate and stalled intermittently on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission was failed and the clutch assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 03/11/16

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Jan 042016

Car at random times refuses to go into any gear. This is the dual clutch automatic transmission. Most often happens after starting the car when the shift lever is moved into a gear the transmission remains in netural. You can over reve the engine no foot on the brake no gear engages. A few time while driving the transmissions goes into netural. So far I've been able to coast off of the limited access road onto a side street when that has happened. A few times the car has refused to go back into gear after coming to a stop at a stop sign or stop light. You can resolve the issue by turning off the car and restarting it. Sometimes it takes multiple restarts before you can get the transmission to shift out of netural. A few times the car has refused to start, I think the tcu refuses to put the transmission into netural at that point to allow it to start. When that happens I have had to wait upwards of fifteen minutes before the car can be started and driven. The dealer claims they can't do anything since they cant duplicate the problem while the car is in the shop. I've had the few recall notices related to the transmission done. I feel this care is not safe to take on a major highway but can't afford to purchase another vehicle at this time. I see many other owners reporting the same problems but Ford has either been unable to find a fix or it has been to expensive for then to want to implement. Majority of times I've experienced this has been in parking lots but other times has been on residential streets(stop signs) or limited access 35-40mph roads while driving or trying to drive away from a stop light. I fear the day it happens on a highway. I'm listing this past Monday as the date since it was the most recent incident. This has been happening for several years now and yet Ford refuses to do anything about it. I stated ) as the most recent.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Aug 172011

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the vehicle shutters and hesitates as if it were to stall while the accelerator pedal was being depressed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the tcm module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 1,600.

- Mineral Bluff, GA, USA

Feb 012012

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that the transmission failed causing the vehicle to jerk violently and lose acceleration power, while driving. The brake pedal had to be engaged with force to be able to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times where the transmission control module and the power train control module were updated and the power train clutch assembly was replaced. However, the failure was not corrected. The vehicle continued to jerk and lose acceleration power while driving. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for further inspection. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000.

- Vermillion, OH, USA

Dec 302015

Fiesta 4-cyl

Since new the car's transmission has had lurching and jerking issues when shifting that have progressively gotten worse. Multiple times the car has lurched and stalled missing the next gear and almost caused us to get side swiped while making a turn. We were left stranded and had to replace the control module which Ford eventually paid for. Now after getting a trans malfunction warning the Ford dealer is saying we need a new clutch (the car is an automatic...that is what we paid for). The clutch has only worn out because of the excessive lurching and missing gears cause by the poor design despite several failed attempts to have the issue fixed by the dealer. Not being able to accelerate when making a left turn or pulling onto a roadway or merging onto a highway is a safety issue. Please hold Ford accountable. I don't think the car is safe because that happens all the time and the dealer can't seem to fix it. In fact I wont let my wife drive the car anymore because I think an accident is inevitable. We have had constant transmission issues since new. Ford denied an problem when the car was new and having these issues. Ford is willfully putting its paying customers at great risk physically and financially. We have records of repeatedly bringing this car in for repair. Ford (I believe intentionally) did not document my wife's complaints or that they even looked at the car when it was newer and they kept saying my wife was crazy and there was no problem. Turns out they were wrong and there have been major problems from the start and we all know that now.

- Batavia, IL, USA

Dec 232015

Clutch shudder. After having a replacement clutch assembly installed 12,000 miles ago, the clutch shudder, shaking, delayed acceleration, and jerkiness have returned. Assembly was reinspected at dealership, confirming that the replacement clutch assembly also has the failure symptoms. A new assembly is being ordered

- Middletown, OH, USA

Dec 162015

Transmission control module recall: After having the "tcm" software updated in September, the transmission malfunction light still comes on when my car will not switch gears. One day driving down the interstate, my car was going 65 mph and was not switching gears. After having it towed to the nearest Ford dealership, my car was worked on and the transmission control module was finally replaced. Less than a week later, my car would not accelerate or switch gears while driving up a hill. My car began to move backwards since it would not accelerate. My car was rolling backwards down a hill into oncoming traffic. The Ford dealership does not seem to be concerned and assured me the software needed to be updated again after it was updated less than a week ago. This is something that I find to be dangerous if the car will not switch gears. The first time the car was taken to a Ford dealership, I was told that the transmission control module part itself was on backorder and could not be replaced for at least a year. Three months later when it was towed to a different Ford dealership, they had one readily available and it was replaced within two days and the software updated accompanied the service event. Less than a week later my car is in limp mode and will barely accelerate to get me safely off the road. This issue is much bigger than it seems and Ford does not seem to have the urgency to fix a dangerous issue for their customers. Upon calling Ford to have my vehicle looked at, it was about a 5 day wait and they could not provide me with a rental or loaner car.

- Huntington, WV, USA

Nov 292015

Vehicle wont go into gear. Engine starts fine, but transmission will not engage. Backed out of garage, put car into drive, and nothing. Car will not engage in R or D. had it towed to dealer. Transmission control module replaced but car still not running correctly, per dealer. Dealer says car needs a new transmission. Ford says I'm 1450 miles and 60 days over the 60K/5 yr warranty so no assistance with paying for repairs. I've seem no indication from all these posts that a transmission replacement has fixed the vehicle.

- Plattsburgh, NY, USA

Jan 182015

The automatic Ford Fiesta experiences a very loud grinding/scraping noise as soon as it starts coasting (as soon as the foot is off the accelerator), regardless of whether the break pedal is applied or not. This happens regardless of the speed at which it is travelling. Initially took the car to a reputable mechanic who indicated the noise was coming from the transmission and recommended I go to the dealer since the issue might be covered under the car's warranty. The first trip to the dealer for the noise resulted in a replacement of the dual clutch. The second trip to the dealer for the noise resulted in a reprogramming of the PCM/tcm module. The third trip to the dealer for the noise resulted in being told this is "normal". the noise abated after the dual clutch replacement and reprogramming of modules, but quickly returned (within days) and grew louder than before. The noise is so loud that it can wake up neighbors when driven through neighborhoods and makes it difficult to have a conversation in the car.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Nov 302013

2011 Ford Fiesta aka black turd of death. 5 times in the dealer for transmission problems. Bad shuttering on take off. Started at 18,253 miles and now at 45,015 still does it. Worse when turning cause it will try and stall out. Gas pedal is not responsive when this happens. Contacted Ford and was told by the dealer there was nothing else could be done. That I need to get used to it. The clutch has been replaced didn't make a difference. Transmission has been flashed 5 times. But never test driven afterward. Just told it was normal. University Ford will not even give me copies of my paperwork. Said it was in the mail.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jun 262015

Clutch shuttering, acceleration / stopping,

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Nov 242014

The transmission experiences excessive shuddering and jerking with acceleration, severe rattling and grinding noises, to complete loss of response with the accelerator. This is every time it is driven. It has supposedly been repaired on Ford 5 times now, however this time they will not cover it. This is a danger to myself, my family and anyone else on the road when you can not control acceleration/deceleration. This has been ongoing since 11/2014.

- Mount Morris, MI, USA

Nov 142015

This is an update to a previous complaint with my car. Previously the car gave out in the hills of a sf. The car said it had a problem with the transmission and would not give any propulsion risking going backward on a hill. The dealer updated the software. They said this was the fix. They said after 1000 miles it should fix itself. Since then the car has been running much more sluggish. It forces itself on accelerating. It jerks much more excessively when I take off the gas. It jerks much more when I brake and I hear the metal grinding and clanking together. It was a really bad software update. 1000 passed and we ran into another problem. I had the car parked in the house. Tried to turn car back on and would not turn on. I heard clicking noise as if the battery was dead. I had dome lights on for a few minutes but nothing excessive. Shouldn't die out like that. Tried several times to turn it on and nothing. Started to call roadside assistance for backup. I then removed the car charger I had plugged in and tried again. The car sputtered on and starting giving me notifications. A service and check engine light. Also the display said that there was a "transmission malfunction" and to service it now. The engine was really forcing itself as I heard it. RPM was high even going slow. Car still sputters on after a few tries. Checked the codes through obd2. Car was throwing P0606. Said that it was ECM/PCM processor problem. I have no idea what is wrong with this car. I feel like its completely falling apart all around. Horrible car with too many issues!!!! this car needs a massive recall on it!!! it is unequivocally unsafe and unfit for the road!

- Stockton, CA, USA

Dec 312014

Got my car new 2012 it is a 2011 had service work mostly oil change tire rotation ect in 12-31-14 had to take it in sounded like it was flying apart when you drive jerked when you tried to take off felt like you were driving on rocky road speed bumps they installed seals for leak clean clutch and perf test drive upload shudder to hotline for clutch appv installed new clutch and seals/repro PCM/tcm and perf trans adaptive relearn perf test drive vec hotline appv paaxr this done ok for a bit took back in Oct 2015 same problem jerking and sounds like it falling apart also had recall on door lock went back to get it I am very unhappy with car still have the problem they have to order parts as of today Nov 6 2015 had to be towed wont even crank and wont come out of gear dont buy one not sure what can be done but I feel like they should have to buy car back thats a lot of money and its hardley over the 36 000 miles. Not a happy buyer the dealership has been very nice but says that they dont know how to fix the problem but the makers wont tell you that so sorry car Ford buy them back.

- Hudson, NC, USA