CarComplaints.com Notes: Welcome to North America, Ford Fiesta. Thanks for bringing your herky-jerky transmission, numerous interior quality complaints, and an engine that dies while driving.

2011 Ford Fiesta drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Fiesta:

2011 Ford Fiesta Owner Comments (Page 6 of 12)

Dec 042014

Fiesta

Drove car on highway this morning on way to work and car would not accelerate or go. The only thing moving was the RPM's. I had to pull over on the highway and turn the car off. After the restart, the car was able to accelerate but now it was shifting badly in and out of gears. My work was only right around the corner so I was able to make it in. I went on a lunch break to test drive it around the block and it was giving me the same problem. Shifting out of 4th gear into 3rd for no reason. It's not even drivable. I have already had this car in the shop 2 times for transmission issues. Both times took weeks to get my car back, and I've only owned this car for a year and a half. This will be the 3rd time it's going into the shop, and now it's starting to risk my safety in the process. I have a 1 year old as well so I am not happy about this! something needs to be done about the safety issues of these cars and their transmissions.

- Glenolden, PA, USA

Sep 012014

Fiesta

I purchased a Ford Fiesta 2011 in July 2014. Within a few weeks I noticed problems with the car jerking and hesitating and lurching forward but as a check engine light was on, I assumed it was because of the faulty catalytic converter, which was later replaced in Sep 2014. Still, the grinding noise, jerks and hesitation continued. I travel on the garden state parkway which is always heavily congested during peak hours and the car jerking forward put me at risk for an accident. Also, the brakes sometimes acted too slow but I don't know if this is a result of the transmission issues or not. It wasn't until earlier last month that I read about the inherent design flaw in the transmission. Currently, my car is at the dealership awaiting repairs to the transmission.

- Mount Holly, NJ, USA

Apr 212012

Fiesta 4-cyl

When stopped and take off again, the car does not want to move. It jerks, jumps and does not want to move. It also does this when driving down the street. It acts like it is going to quit but just keeps on jerking and jumping. This is very annoying and am told there is no fix. This has been going on for way too long. I have had it at jim O'neil Ford and bill collins Ford, and neither fixed it. Then I started taking it to oxmoor Ford. They have been really good at trying to find and fix the problem. They have adjusted something, worked on something else but being a lady have no idea even if they told me would not know. This last time it was in there they ordered a new clutch and it has been almost 3 weeks and they have not received it yet. Sure hope this fixes the problem. I am afraid that I am going to either get killed or hurt seriously due to this car not moving like a normal car and just jerking along. I have sent two notices to Ford Motor Company via their web site and have not heard anything from them. This really disappoints me because I worked there for 37 years in louisville. The above box asking for the speed, it occurs when taking off or driving 55 mph.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 202013

Fiesta

Clicking and noise from area of wheels and transmission issues, the Firestone shop in las vegas Nevada has fixed many issues, drive time automobile customer service always said it is normal, when on slight hills engine acts like its in neutral, ..I am a disabled veteran and purchased the vehicle to go to and from the veterans hospital, but to many noises come from the engine area, the steering column area, and wheel area..., it feels like emissions problems and transmission problems!..., engine light comes on often after oil changes.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 032014

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the overdrive and grade assist warning lights illuminated. The contact also stated that the speed decelerated to approximately 5 mph and suddenly functioned as normal. The vehicle stalled and was restarted. The failure recurred after restarting the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Wall Lake, MI, USA

Oct 292014

Fiesta 4-cyl

I was pulling out of a county park after dark, and was trying to gauge the distance of an incoming car, to determine whether or not I had time to pull out. In order to see better, I lightly pressed the accelerator, but instead of slowly inching forward a few inches or a foot, my car leapt out into the path of the oncoming car and then stopped. I tried to throw the car in reverse, but there wasn't time to react. The other driver tried to slow down and swerve to avoid me, but was unable to avoid hitting my door. Me, my three children, and the driver of the other car were all taken to the hospital by ambulance. The children were not admitted, as they only had a few bruises, but the other driver and I were both admitted and subsequently released that same night. I received a citation for failing to yield, which I plan on contesting. My car has leapt out into a cross-street like that after stopping for stop signs several times, but always to a lesser extent, and never on a busy street. It always takes several seconds after this occurs for the accelerator to function again, which is why I tried to throw my car in reverse instead of driving forward. I have also had problems with my transmission shuddering profusely upon excellerating after stops. I received a notice from Ford dated August 2014, stating that they were extending the warranty on my clutch and transmission input shaft seals, and transmission software calibration to 7 years or 100,000 miles, because of these types of problems, and urging me to have them repaired if experiencing shuddering. Because of my husband's work schedule, we had not gotten around to having the seals replaced yet as reccomended. I feel that the transmission issues that I had been having with my car, are directly responsible for my collision, and could easily have resulted in the deaths of 5 people.

- North Beach, MD, USA

Dec 032010

Fiesta 4-cyl

We questioned the dealer salesperson about the erratic behavior the night we purchased the car. We were told the vehicle had a manual transmission that shifted automatically. The vehicle has been to the dealership and or the dealership has been questioned many times regarding the issue. Most recently there was a notice for a reprogramming of the transmission, this did not resolve the issue. The dealers still insist that the behavior is normal. This behavior has now created many close call situations from lunging when going forward and reverse. The shifting is very erratic and makes a lot of noise from 0 to 20 mph or so. I'm also concerned about the resale value of this vehicle since I just recently starting doing research on the issue and have found it's a widespread problem. Please advise.

- Peoria, IL, USA

May 192014

Fiesta 4-cyl

The transmission on this car often shuttered but on this particular occasion, would not engage forward or reverse. A new transmission module was installed in the car and it is acceptable, currently. Unfortunately, customer satisfaction form 14M01 does not include replacement of transmission module (part ae8Z7Z369D). 1300 dollars plus to fix a problem that Ford has known about since I bought the vehicle. I am trying to join a class action suit against Ford. It is in the investigation phase and may be brought on by www.chimicles.com. please join us. It is obvious that the only way anything truly good will come out of our hardships is if we hit Ford in the wallet.

- Milton, MA, USA

Sep 152014

Fiesta 4-cyl

My Ford Fiestas transmission is officially broke. The car's trannie was officially looked at by three transmission specialists, all baffled to why this car is dealing with this with such few miles. I've talked with numerous representatives of Ford, who've assured me that bad things just happen and there's nothing they will do. This is a terrible problem that needs to be addressed.

- Danville, VA, USA

Oct 052014

Fiesta

Issues with the transmission since I bought the car sputters dies wont start shifts into neutral on its own dangerous car its not safe Ford knows and wont fix it. I have had the battery changed to fix the issue to no avail and the shift solenoid to no avail dealer cant fix it what can be done to make the car safe.

- San Marcos , TX, USA

Sep 262014

Fiesta

This car has had numerous visits to the dealer for transmission issues including the most recent aprox. Two months ago. The car will shudder and buck while shifting and makes a horrendous noise while driving. In this particular incident the car came to a busy stop sign where 2 highways cross and then when the accelerator was depressed the car moved a few feet to the center of the intersection and then wouldn't move anymore. It just revved the engine like it was in neutral. After aprox. 20-30 seconds it finally engaged the transmission and then continued to drive. Took to the dealer and they said they fixed it (again, 3rd time now). These cars are a liability and a accident waiting to happen when they cannot accelerate without the transmission slipping and sputtering.

- Delavan, WI, USA

Jul 012011

Fiesta 4-cyl

I bought this car in June 2011. Right from the beginning it has had a transmission problem. The car shudders when trying to accelerate. Sometimes it's light shuddering and sometimes it's very rough where the whole car is jerking. There have been several incidences where I was turning left and thought I had plenty of time but the car decides to shudder and I have almost been hit by another car. My husband had a super close call. Same thing turning left and the car was shuddering so bad it just wouldn't go and he was almost hit by a truck. We have taken the car in several times to be fixed and each time it's fixed for a short amount of time but eventually the shuddering comes right back. I've been told all the Fiestas have this problem and even if they put a new transmission in this problem will happen because of the way the transmissions been built. I fear it's only a matter of time before someone is severely hurt or killed from this problem. I feel like Ford needs to step up and fix this problem before it's too late.

- Westland , MI, USA

Jul 142014

Fiesta 4-cyl

My car was sitting in a parked position on a hill side and drifted backward over the hill, hit a guideline and rolled over two times. The car had been in the dealership over 20 times. Ford and erie ins. Met in may of 2014 and both decided the problems were related to manufacturing issues. The Ford dealership replaced my 2011 Ford Fiesta's computer, water pump, reprogrammed the transmission replaced the flywheel between the motor and the transmission, entire engine (short block and heads were replaced, coils, and many other items were replaced trying to correct the problem.the transmission allowed the car to roll down the hill backwards instead of holding the car in a stopped position. I asked my car insurance company and Ford motor to meet and have the car assessed for mechanic failures after the crash several times. I was told by the representative at my local Ford dealership that Ford did not want to look into the problem because they did not want to open themselves up to liability.. erie insurance did not want to spend the money investigating the crash, it should be Ford Motor Company's responsibility to look into the crash. I ask erie insurance to hold the car at the savage yard until either party could investigate the problems the car had over the past year and subsequent failure resulting in the total loss of my vehicle. Ford motor and C harper Ford both knew my 2011 Ford Fiesta had issues over the past year while my car was attempting to get fix(it was at the dealership approximately 26 times) and continued to fail. The Ford service consultant tom/ mechanic at the dealership informed me the Ford Fiesta models we having multiple mechanical issue and the car was junk. However, upon the 26 times they attempted to fix the car they allowed me to drive it with both myself and my family in the car. Thus knowing they were putting us a risk.

- Connellsville, PA, USA

Sep 212014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Transmission repaired under recall. Now car will not start, no lights, radio. Battery checked and charged-not issue.

- Marlborough, MA, USA

Dec 182013

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the vehicle began to jerk forward causing the vehicle to crash into a ditch. The contact sustained a minor injury and no police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 51,000.

- Happy Camp, CA, USA

Jun 102014

Fiesta 4-cyl

2011 Ford Fiesta ses, manual transmission: Car started stalling about 3 or 4 mos ago when I would come to a stop. Yesterday, it stalled as I was driving!!! now I don't dare get behind the wheel! I bought this car in '11 brand new and have had no problems with it until now. And now all I want to do is dump it!

- Riverside, CA, USA

Sep 152014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Driver side rear passenger door opened while driving today. It can't close shut and can't lock. Had to secure moving straps to both rear seat armrests to keep door from opening. After the seat belt recall, transmission seal recall and this, what next? I commute over 100 miles daily I don't feel safe.

- Pahrump, NV, USA

Nov 202013

Fiesta

When I bought my car a couple of months later I started having shattering when I would start from a stop. I took it back to the dealer for them to tell me it was the normal. This problem continued for a couple more months and got worse. As the problem got worse it became more than shattering it seemed like the car was slipping and jumping. I then took it back and they told me my computer needed updated. They updated my computer and a week later my car started again and it was worse. They replaced my clutch. I had that fixed a about 10,000 to 15,000 miles ago. Now my car is having the same problem. This will be my second time having the clutch replaced. This seems unfair to the buyer, because at the rate it is going I will have to have my clutch replaced every 25,000 miles. As a consumer Ford needs to replace the transmissions or recall all of the defective ones. How can Ford get away with it and Chevy having to pay for all of there mistakes.

- Seaman, OH, USA

Jul 082014

Fiesta 4-cyl

My car has malfunctioned and been "repaired" three times. Each time the car malfunctioned, the gas pedal stopped working and the car began to slow. The gear indicator light switched from D to P and back again, over and over. The check engine light started blinking and later turned solidly on. Since it was just coasting, I had to pull over the car and in each case I was lucky enough to be in an area with a decent breakdown lane. At one point when the mechanics were pulling the vehicle into a bay, it started doing this and the reverse lights also started blinking. In addition, it jerked back into drive, jumping forward. Thankfully no one was close to it. So far the repairs have included an ignition coil pack, spark plugs and wires, replacing two bolts and reprogramming, and replacing the transmission control module for a grand total of over $2,000.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Aug 142014

Fiesta 4-cyl

This car has been nothing but trouble since I bought it. It has been in the shop for transmission issues for the last two weeks. Not to mention it was in the shop for two months after only having it for ten days. Ford had the clutch on back order and it took about two months for the part to come in. It jerks viciously and I have to floor the gas to get up a hill. There are times when the car sticks in gear and won't shift and when it finally does it jerks forward and I'm afraid I'm going to rear end someone. The Ford technician is telling me he can't exactly point out what the issue is and is having to get assistance from outside first techs and corporate. It's a safety issue and Ford needs to recall this car instead of just extending the warranty on the defective transmission.

- Irving, TX, USA