CarComplaints.com Notes: Welcome to North America, Ford Fiesta. Thanks for bringing your herky-jerky transmission, numerous interior quality complaints, and an engine that dies while driving.

2011 Ford Fiesta drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Fiesta:

2011 Ford Fiesta Owner Comments (Page 7 of 12)

Aug 152014

Fiesta 4-cyl

My daughter was driving down a major interstate at 70 mph and when she slowed down for slower traffic and the car stopped. The motor shutoff and coasted to a stop (she said it jolted to a stop in about 20 feet). The traffic was very heavy so she tried to get to the shoulder but couldn't make it, she turned on her hazards and put the car in neutral and tried to restart (didn't restart) then put it into park to restart (didn't restart) so then tried to take it out of park to move the car (pushing to the shoulder) but because of the way the system is designed the car wouldn't come out of park. She even tried to release the transmission manually but because there was no power to the solenoids, it would not release and so left the car in the middle of the freeway and called the police and tow truck. I have had this car in multiple times for a flash upgrade but still does the stumbling and hesitation. This car has also had the water pump replaced as well as minor fit and finish

- Sachse, TX, USA

Jul 242014

Fiesta 4-cyl

I own a 2011 Ford Fiesta. The car has left me stranded on the side of the road 4 times. 3 out of the 4 times I broke down I was right in the middle of rush hour traffic in new orleans! not good! I could have been killed, or killed someone else. Twice I've had to wait on the side of the interstate for 2.5 hours waiting for a tow truck when I was supposed to pick up my 11 year old from camp. I've missed work, my son has been stranded, and I just do not feel safe in this car. It's been in the shop 4 times now and they've worked on it 3 times. The first time it broke down I brought it to Ford and they kept it for one day but they didn't get to work on it because I was having problems with my extended warranted, which is through Nissan. The 2nd time I was told the clutch went out in the dual transmission due to transmission fluid leaking on a component in the car. They took my transmission out, replaced the clutch, accidentally busted out my windshield in the process, then gave the car back. Not too long after I got it back, it broke down again. They said it was the computer that operates the transmission. They did updates on the computer and gave it back to me. The very next day it broke down again and is now sitting back at Ford in slidell. At this point I don't even think they know what to do with it. I then file a complaint with Ford and they say there's nothing they can do" so I'm just stuck with this broken car from Ford that is only a few years old? my son was with me one of the times that I broke down - the poor thing was scared half to death! I can't keep missing work - what am I supposed to do? all I see online is people with lawsuits against Ford because of the transmission in these things... why isn't this a recall yet" it is definitely dangerous!

- Slidell, LA, USA

Aug 012014

Fiesta

Driving on the interstate and my car would not accelerate.the clutch which is a auto shift clutch would not disengage had to pull over between on ramp and flowing traffic. Restarted car a couple of times and finna lol worked ok. I called my dealership service dept. And they said to take it to nearest Ford service dept..codes were shift fork position circuit P2832 P2877clutch B disengaging slow and shift forka position circuit range/performance permanent.this could be a dangerous issue I'm glad was driving and not my daughter.

- Avon Park, FL, USA

Jun 252014

Fiesta

Car made horrible grinding noise, lost power and went into neutral while driving down highway at 55 mph. Luckily there was a place to pull off the road before I was creamed by a semi truck. Turned car off and back on, check engine light came on, car would not start. Let sit for 10 mins or so, finally got car started, drove straight to dealership. They said it needed a new transmission control module. Been waiting for over a month for one as there are 3000+ on back order. This is a huge safety concern and I do not understand why there is not a recall for these transmissions!!!! I've been without transportation to work for over a month and have had to bum rides from friends and family.

- Fallon, NV, USA

Apr 042014

Fiesta 4-cyl

The car will stall when leaving from a stop. It has happened approximately 12 - 15 times since the first occurrence. Dealer is unable to find the problem as no codes are thrown. I am frustrated and scared as I am afraid it will stall in the middle of an intersection.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Jul 082014

Fiesta

While driving down a certain road I noticed the car while on drive, switched to reverse backed up on its own and then to park without me switching gears. It did so until I was able to somehow pull over on the side of the road and turned the car off. I immediately decided to call 9-11 the officer who arrived on the scene saw with his own eyes what the car was doing and stated not to drive the car and that it was a hazard on the road. When we visited Ford the dealer did not know what happened to the car and "flew over a technician" but the same problem persisted.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Jul 182014

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle suddenly decelerated and failed to accelerate. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Grovetown, GA, USA

Oct 162010

Fiesta 4-cyl

2011 Ford Fiesta automatic transmission shifts erratically and intermittently whenever upshifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Engine/transmission shakes and sometimes makes clanking noises. Engine also seems to stay engaged to clutch (or whatever transmission mechanism engages engine to drive train) at all times, because sudden hard braking can stop engine. Dealership has tried to fix transmission problem(s) at least three times, and computer firmware 'upgrades' have been downloaded to transmission controller(s) at least twice by dealership. Problems have not been resolved.

- Martinez, CA, USA

Oct 032013

Fiesta 4-cyl

I was parked in a friends driveway and the car wouldn't start. The radio and lights and dashboard all worked but when turn the key there was all kinds of clicking noise and flashing lights. Even after the key was removed you could hear all kinds of mechanical noise going on under the hood. The car started after roadside assistance jumped it, so I thought I was good to go. I put the car in reverse and thought I was backing out of the driveway when in all reality I was just coasting because when I got down the incline part and applied the gas pedal the rpms would go up but the car didn't move. I tried to go forward and could not. I could physically shift the car into gear but it would not move, even if I floored the gas pedal it just revved the engine. I had to then call a tow truck and had it towed to the nearest Ford dealership. They were unable to replicate the problem therefore there was no repair made nor did they try to figure it out bc they said it ran to specifications. I am concerned with being stranded traffic and not being able to move and being a sitting duck just waiting to get hit. This has happened on several occasions. Thankfully non have put me in a dangerous situation, but I do not deem this vehicle reliable, I do not deem Ford capable of fixing it and I am extremely frustrated having a car that cant be fixed.

- Highland Twp, MI, USA

Mar 032014

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle lost acceleration and started jerking violently without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic testing. The contact was unaware of the exact repairs, but was informed that the transmission had been replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 8,293.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Jun 022014

Fiesta

As the car is being driven the transmission is automatically put into neutral. There is no warning and the car does not continue to go since it is in neutral. We had this "fixed" when it first happened. The dealer reported it needed a new battery and the computer didn't have enough power and put the car in neutral. But, the new battery did not fix the issue. It happened again 3 weeks later as we were driving 70 mph on a highway. Luckily, we were able to steer the car to the shoulder and wait for a tow. We still have no report on what the issue is after 3 days. The first time in the shop after the car sat over night it ran normally the next morning and they could drive it in the garage.

- Concord, CA, USA

Jun 192014

Fiesta

I was driving home at around 55 mph when the car shifted out of drive and into neutral. I was able to pull over on the side of the road. I tried putting the car in park but it would not go, kept going back and forth into different gears. Finally got the car in park and turned the engine off. When I turned engine back on, and tried to put it in gear, made a clicking noise and would not engage into a gear. Finally after about 10 minutes of waiting, car finally clicked into gear. Two days later my wife was driving the car. She was only going about 25 mph when it did the same thing, however she wasn't able to pull over to the side of the road and was almost rear ended with 2 kids in the car. I had to go pick her up. The car was doing the same thing it had to me 2 days prior, however this time it took much longer for a gear to engage. I took the car down to autozone to see if any codes appeared on their computer, but there were none. I had done some research on this transmission and read multiple posts on tranny problems but no recall or fixes. The following day I took it for a drive to see if I could figure out when the problem happens so that I could get it into the shop. The car did the same thing 3 different times within a 10 mile span, each time taking longer to engage in a gear. Finally the check engine light came on and once again I took it to autozone and the code read: P06B8 indicating a PCM problem. I am now currently waiting to get it into the shop to have this fixed, however I feel this is a huge safety factor. My wife and kids could have been seriously injured had they been driving at faster speeds and were not able to pull over. The car literally goes out of gear while you are driving it and all different speeds. Serious safety hazard!!!

- Fallon, NV, USA

Jun 042014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Fiesta went into neutral while moving. It would not return to 'drive' or reverse or 'low' until stopped ( in traffic ), killed engine, and restarted. Brake peddle felt 'locked' when re-starting. It ran ok until later in day when it failed to drive at all and was towed to dealer. Failure was always when moving in traffic.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jan 012014

Fiesta 4-cyl

My 2011 Ford Fiesta transmission has been an issue for awhile now. I have had them reset the system and also replace the clutch. However, my car still has issues the transmission sticks and does not always accelerate when I press on the guess. You can hear and feel the engine stick and shutter. The car is more and more failing to accelerate which has caused to me to almost get into several accidents. The solution I was told by Ford was that there is no true fix and it is just something they can not fix. My car is brand new and still under warranty. That type of answer is not acceptable, especially when I have almost been in several accidents because of my car malfunctioning. I want this issue resolved for good, I am extremely concerned for my safety in my car and fear of getting in an accident or seriously injured due to this issue.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Mar 052014

Fiesta 4-cyl

I purchased this vehicle in May 2013 as a used vehicle from the Ford store in san leandro, ca. I have had nothing but trouble with this car since I purchased it. The first thing that broke was my passenger side visor. Even though "visors and front seat SRS warning" is checked off on the 172 point inspection form I was given, the visor had a crack in the piece of the visor that held it to the roof of the car. I had no idea anything was wrong with it until a passenger tried to use it and it fell into their lap. After a few months of driving the vehicle I started noticing that there is a delay when you press the gas peddle (about a 3-4 seconds), it was like the car didn't want to respond to the peddle being pushed down. I also noticed that the car would roll backwards when on a hill, I always thought I had all of the worst parts of a manual transmission, but the car is an "automatic". besides rolling backwards, the delay in the peddle would make it tough to stop at the top of a steep hill and start again, I would give it gas and it would be very sluggish. The worst part of the car has to be that when I was "crawling" in traffic, the car would shut off. It seems that it is idling too low when the car is moving slow. This also happened to me when I was pulling into a parking spot. After having this car for a year I had to replace the cooling fan after its motor burned out, I think it was a result of too much acceleration, too fast... cause you just don't know when the thing will die on you.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Jun 202014

Fiesta 4-cyl

From the beginning it has never shifted right or so I think. I even purchased the extended warranty and when I complained about it the shop said that they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. Well the other day it was making crunching noises shifting gears and it took several hundred rpms to get the car going. Went to parts store in it running like this 10 miles away and when I came back and pulled into driveway it died and hasn't started since.

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

Jun 062014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Upon accelerating at a light, the transmission disengaged and the motor would no long propel the car forward. The car was in drive and the motor was running, but no power was being distributed to the automatic transmission to engage the wheels. I was left coasting in the middle of a six lane road during rush hour and could not move as the car coasted to a halt. I put the car in park and then the car was stuck in park and the shift lever would not move out of park. I then turned off the car to see if restarting it would do anything, but then the car would not start at all. Now I was in the middle lane, during rush hour, with a car that won't start, and won't come out of park. Because of this I could not even roll the car to a place of safety on the shoulder of the road. I was in the middle lane for one hour narrowly escaping crashing many times until the tow truck finally showed up. The tow truck driver also could not get the car out of park and had to drag it up the tow ramp as the front wheels would not roll.

- North Highlands, CA, USA

May 142014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Car did not move could not find the gears had to push it off the road, I was not the first time but this time was in heavy traffic and I almost got rear ended and while pushing out of the way almost got hit. I would not move in any gear. I appears there is a bulletin out for a fix it is a bad ground bold and a defective module. I feel there may be other cars that had the same issue and may have even been accidents that resulted from this. There is nothing scarier then sitting in the middle of the road and not be able to move and getting out of the car to get it out of the way is suicidal.I am grateful to rochester Ford for getting this problem fixed and at no cost.

- Sanford, ME, USA

Apr 082014

Fiesta 4-cyl

On April 8, 2014, my 2011 Ford Fiesta was losing acceleration. As I was pressing on the gas and going about 45 mph, the acceleration slowed and eventually completely stopped. Thank goodness I was not on the highway! also, the gear display was flashing fro P to D, over and over. I brought my car into cal worthington Ford of anchorage on April 9, 2014 and explained everything. My car was ready for pick up on April 11, 2014. They reprogrammed or replaced the electrical components dealing with the transmission. That is what I was told but I never received any paperwork or a detailed explanation on the repairs. On April 14, 2014 my car experienced the same symptoms as on April 8. the car could not accelerate and stalled in traffic. I videotaped all of it. I can email it to you, if you would like. The gear display was flashing again from D to P over and over. I brought my car back to cal worthington on April 15, 2014. They got me a rental car until 05/09/14, then I was moved to one of their loaner cars. On 05/12/14, my car was ready again. Supposedly they replaced the clutch. On May 13, 2014, the next day, the same thing happened again! the acceleration slowed and the gear display was switching from D, P, R, L, over and over. I brought the car back to cal worthington on May 14, 2014 and I had another loaner car. They had my car until May 21, 2014. The next morning, the engine stopped at the stop sign, which is about 100 feet away from my house. My car would not start, the gear display was flashing D, P, R, L, over and over while the car was making a humming sound. We had to push my car back to my drive way and have it towed back to cal worthington Ford.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Apr 282014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Car was stalling out / dying repeatedly in heavy stop and go traffic. The car would lurch forward when I pushed the gas from a dead stop and then would stall out completely. I would have to put the car in park, turn the key to start the car, and then put it in gear to get the car to drive again. If I were in traffic, and then decided to turn left to cross over the other side of the street, my car could have stalled and I could have been hit by oncoming traffic. Very scary to drive a car with this defect. I took it in to get repaired and was told that it was the throttle body. It's not covered under the warranty and right now there is no recall on the vehicle for this part.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA