CarComplaints.com Notes: Welcome to North America, Ford Fiesta. Thanks for bringing your herky-jerky transmission, numerous interior quality complaints, and an engine that dies while driving.

2011 Ford Fiesta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Fiesta:

2011 Ford Fiesta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 252013

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle body failed and would need to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 22,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 012016

Fiesta

Ive taken my car to the dealership around 4 times for the same problem. The fourth being the worst. The car will shudder, shake, over rev, low power when taking off and lack of powersteering and brakes. Its had its tcm reprogrammed to no avail! clutch has been replaced to no avail. Third time it stared again and had to get the car reprogrammed again. The last time the car would not drive over 30 mph without shaking shuddering and trying to find the right gear. Couple of times the car stopped while driving!! dealership replaced the tcm.on about the fourth time in. My wife drives our kids to school in this car and I have not confidence in its ability to sustain and deliver my family safely to their destinatation. Im currently making payments and have also tried to talk to Ford about a buy back or replacement and they said I don't meet or qualify for the California lemon law. They had pulled my records at the dealership to verify the car status. All actions that the car displayed and others have encountered have happened when pulling away to accelerate. A couple of my complaints on the service record was not recorded. I think the first and the last ones were however.

- South San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 112015

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. While driving approximately 45 mph, the rpms accelerated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the tranmission control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 93,766.

- Porter, ME, USA

Jul 312016

Fiesta

Unable to get car out of park, when I did, coming out of a parking lot, it stalled in middle of a busy street, had no power, transmission, stability and check engine light came on, after pushing on the gas peddle a few times, it finally, had enough power to drive it home.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jul 212016

Fiesta

When using cruise control, engine speeds up excessively on small inclines. During city or highway driving. It has happened more than once, but the last time in traffic scared me.

- Logansport, IN, USA

Jun 272016

Fiesta

Vehicle has been one of many thousands to experience severe transmission issues, which have now become serious safety concerns due to Ford's inability to provide a solution. This 2011 Fiesta with automatic transmission was purchased new and had the sluggish feeling early on. Dealer said it was a "smart engine" and would have to learn driver's driving habits. The problem persisted and got considerably worse around 9K miles....took it in, failed transmissions test...new clutch put it. Thought it was fine until it started doing the same thing...failed test...no parts available- had to wait on parts. This is about the 5th or 6th time going through this process, except that now the problem is the most severe it's ever been (even with the a new clutch put in last week and being told it was "fixed'). car won't start at times, then when it does, it drives very sluggish - or won't come out of low gear (revs very high)....of if you get it into higher gear, it will suddenly slip out of it back down to low - very high rpms and very loud. It is hard to accelarate and know that it's going to go - this is especially troubling at an intersection making a left turn, on the highway with higher speed traffic etc. Many others have experienced this same problem very severely. Class action suit in ca now-- and one just started in australia. Same problems. Ford has continued to sell these cars for years, knowing that this problem is there- their only solution being to wait for parts and then get it "repaired" - except it is being repaired with parts that are no better and seem to be far worse than early on. It is scary to drive and feel safe - yet one has to get to work, etc. Ford is digging their heels in and still offering no remedy, knowing about these very unsafe situations that drivers are being put in. Please scan the internet regarding the many people who have had serious problems.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 122016

Fiesta

I have been dealing with transmission issues since I bought the vehicle. The first time it happened I was doing 50 mph and it shifted out of gear. This was quite disturbing. I took it in to Ford and they told me it just needed the program updated. Then during the winter it wouldn't go into gear at all, not forward, reverse or anything. Once again I took it in and they said it was the programming. They programed it again. So back in Feb it happened again, and I did then receive a letter stating there was some issues, so I was given a 100,000 mile warranty on fixing the issue. Well I told them to replace the tcm, but once again they love to reprogram. So my oldest son is in need of a vehicle and he was driving it up in madison Wisconsin on the most crazy freeway and it decided to lose the power doing more than 50 mph. My son was so stressed and was almost hit by a semi. I have had it with the reprogramming. I have emails and calls put into Ford and I am not asking for anything but a fix or to trade in and start over. They don't want to do anything for us at all. I guess they want someone to die first before they fix anything.

- Elkhorn, WI, USA

Mar 082016

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. While at a stop, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact attempted to shift into park, but the gear shifter failed to shift out of drive. The contact had to restart the vehicle in order to shift into park and resume normal function. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Chicago Heights, IL, USA

Nov 012015

Fiesta

My 2011 Ford Fiesta began giving me problems at about 28,000 miles. It is now 35,000 miles and I have been having problems accelerating out of a stop. It will jerk, rev and shudder getting up to 30 mph. I have taken care of a few recalls and I have noticed a 5 mile drop in the mpg. I take good care of my car, I have the oil changed regularly and I often take it to a mechanic to ensure it is in good working condition. This only happens when I am driving the Fiesta for a while in a city setting so I have to start and stop quite a bit. Additionally, there has been a consistent clunking noise when I turn the wheel at low speeds. Have brought it in a few times and no one has even attempted to fix it.

- State College, PA, USA

Jan 182016

Fiesta

On several occasions the vehicle has experienced decreased acceleration as well as delayed acceleration. Since June of 2011 to January 2016 I have had the clutch replaced 8 or 9 times with the power train module being reprogrammed. The problem still persists. Now Jan. 18th 2016 the car is experiencing a transmission malfunction. It will not accelerate over 10 miles an hour. Rendering the vehicle undrivable. I can't seem to get help from Ford or sunstate Ford in which the vehicle was purchased. Everytime they service the vehicle they state shuddering and the acceleration issues are normal functions of the vehicle. However each time they have replace the clutch or reprogrammed computers associated with the transmission. At the intersection of 441 and david walker dr in eustis fl we experienced the transmission malfunction leaving us in the middle of traffic trying to manuever at 10 miles an hour.

- Eustis, FL, USA

Dec 282015

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that the throttle body failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be repaired. No further details were available. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Edina, MN, USA

Sep 302015

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds and attempting to accelerate, the vehicle experienced a period of unintended acceleration and abnormal shaking. The failure occurred three times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed as a clutch failure and that it needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 57,000.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Oct 212015

Fiesta

Currently driving my car with a bad clutch assembly because the part is on back order because of a customer satisfaction bulletin from Ford Motor Company. Driving today and the vehicle in front of me came to an abrupt stop. I came within an inch of rear ending the vehicle because when I put my brakes on my cars the clutch would not do downshift to stop my car. Had to steer to the right onto curb to avoid hitting the car in front of me, came within an inch of hitting the car. The dealer service department told me putting in a new clutch will not fix the problem because they are putting in the same defective part. This is my second clutch assembly within 7,000 miles.

- Trenton, MI, USA

Feb 112015

Fiesta

On several occasions over the last winter I turned left from my driveway. As I attempted to accelerate the vehicle briefly slipped out of gear. The vehicle is controlled by an automatic transmission, but slipped from gear, leaving me in the road, unable to move forward. This has happened on several occasions. My transmission has also failed several times at red lights. I will step on the gas, and there are several seconds of hesitation, where my vehicle will not move. Then it lurches forward. Ford has sent a letter explaining there have been defects with the transmission, but I have called 3 different dealerships, and they refuse to fix the problem unless it occurs during a test drive by their technicians. If the problem does not occur during their test drive they will charge me over $100 for the diagnosis. This defect is known to Ford, yet they refuse to fix it until the problem is consistent enough that I can bring it in, knowing the problem will occur on that particular test drive. I have almost been in an accident because I was unable to get my vehicle out of the road, due to the transmission issue. I believe the problem has also caused other issues with my vehicle. My O2 sensor and catalytic converter wore out prematurely.

- Berkley , MI, USA

Feb 182015

Fiesta

I purchased my 2011 Ford Fiesta in August 2014 with 45,000 miles on it. Car ran fine for a week then I noticed when the ac is on the car jerks when I accelerate. It also does it daily when I drive speeds under 30 mph. The car stalled out as I pulled out leaving wal-mart and thank god it was during the day when everyone is at work and that there was not a lot of traffic!! this car makes me nervous driving it a distance longer than 30 minutes and no car should feel that unsafe. I took it to the Ford dealer this morning reporting of constant jerking and hesitation while I am driving and feeling the gears grinding when I brake. I was told I needed a new clutch and that it is a common problem with these cars and that since the part is on back order it would take minimum 2 weeks to get in!. how there is not a recall on this I do not understand. I have read complaint after complaint about the same problems.

- Junction City, KS, USA

Jul 252011

Fiesta

I purchased a Ford Fiesta 2011 in October, 2010. Within the first year of ownership (around 8,000 miles), the car began to shutter upon initial acceleration at low speeds, especially when going up or down an incline; when moving the accelerator pedal back and forth quickly (in stop and go traffic, for example, or when accelerating to turn left from a stop) the rpms would jump and the car would not accelerate promptly, and then only after harsh jerking. Numerous trips to the dealership resulted in several explanations (and costly "repairs"), including being told I needed a complete engine flush, faulty brake calipers, recalibration of the computer software, and the classic "that is normal operation for the car." As of February, 2015 (my car now has 50,000), the issue continues to persist and, most concerning of all, my car will now periodically stall with complete engine and electrical failure. Please note the issue described above occurs from a stop and/or at slow speeds. My car has stalled several times while I was attempting to turn left or pull into the road from a driveway. These are particularly hazardous times for the car to fail and severely compromise not only my safety but those of other drivers on the road. Frustratingly, the dealerships consistently report "there is nothing wrong with the car" and "it functions normally." A car like mine -- relatively new, average mileage, with maintenance always completed at a Ford dealership and according to manufacturer recommendations -- should not stall. I am greatly concerned each and every time I drive the car and Ford's apparently inability to solve the issue.

- New York, NY, USA

Feb 022015

Fiesta 4-cyl

Car cannot be driven in snow. If trying to start from a complete stop in 1" of snow, the traction control will cut power to the wheels, leaving you stuck in place. This is very dangerous as it can leave the driver stuck in the middle of an intersection as happened to me today. Ford has since added a way to disable the traction control, but this model year is extremely dangerous in the snow.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 122015

Fiesta 4-cyl

I was at a stop sign when my car jerked to the front and almost strike a pedestrian.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Dec 032010

Fiesta 4-cyl

We questioned the dealer salesperson about the erratic behavior the night we purchased the car. We were told the vehicle had a manual transmission that shifted automatically. The vehicle has been to the dealership and or the dealership has been questioned many times regarding the issue. Most recently there was a notice for a reprogramming of the transmission, this did not resolve the issue. The dealers still insist that the behavior is normal. This behavior has now created many close call situations from lunging when going forward and reverse. The shifting is very erratic and makes a lot of noise from 0 to 20 mph or so. I'm also concerned about the resale value of this vehicle since I just recently starting doing research on the issue and have found it's a widespread problem. Please advise.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Aug 212014

Fiesta 4-cyl

I was driving home from work in the early afternoon on August 21, 2014 when my car seemed to lose throttle. I had noticed it was sluggish to pick up speed around 5 miles before. Immediately before the car lost throttle, as if it were in neutral, the check engine light came on, an audible alert was made, and then most of the service lights came on. I managed to pull the car over in about 30 seconds, and once I was parked I could see flames coming out of the left side of the hood. I turned the car off at that point, got out, and called 911. Unfortunately the front of the vehicle was completely engaged by the time the fire crew arrived. The vehicle was a total loss.

- Camp Hill, PA, USA