4.1

2012 Ford Fiesta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fiesta:

2012 Ford Fiesta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 212016

Fiesta 4-cyl

I bought my 2012 Ford Fiesta in 9/2015 with approx.16,000 miles on it. Since I purchased the car, it has been in the shop 5 times (one of which for 26 days). #1 was due to the door latch. My 10yr old was sitting in the backseat when the right side door swung open while I was making a turn. #2 was due to the transmission. The car was having trouble shifting gears & began shaking, then the lights inside & out started blinking and the car completely shut off while I was driving down the highway. #3 was for the transmission again, which locked up while I was driving down I75 in naples the evening of 12/28/2015. The car completely locked up and had to be towed in the middle of the night. #4 the transmission again. While driving North on I75 the car started making a strange whinny noise then shortly after locked up while I was still driving. That time I barely made it off to the side of the highway. Car was towed again to dealership. #5 transmission...again. While driving at 11:30pm at night 8/2016 car lights started blinking on & off and then the car completely shut off while I was driving. Managed to be able to turn it on again and drive it to the dealership...where it stayed for 26 straight days. Tomorrow will be #6...due to transmission problems...again. Car is making whinny noises again, shaking and having trouble shifting gears, temperature light is coming on and A/C is not cooling anymore. Tomorrow I'll be getting an attorney as well.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Sep 162016

Fiesta

Car stalls when driving, usually when foot is taken off gas pedal, ie when coming to a stop. Thought it was because of a fault with the ac compressor (which has been a problem since the car was new). Compressor was replaced in July and car was still stalling so returned to dealer on 9/16/16 and was told it was the electronic throttle body failing. Was told it was an 'uncommon' issue. Did research and found the 'customer satisfaction" (recall) of over a million Ford vehicles for this issue, but of course not any Fiesta's. have just found multiple complaints for the same vehicle as mine with the same issue. I will be contacting Ford directly but based on my experience trying to get my deductible waved for the ac repair I don't expect much. They are the worst company for customer service.

- Canaan, CT, USA

Aug 012016

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fiesta. While coming to a stop, the vehicle began to rev while in neutral at high speeds. The vehicle would decelerate intermittently as if it would stall, but then suddenly began to accelerate. The failure recurred while driving approximately 30 mph. The contact depressed the brake pedal, but the vehicle failed to stop until the anti-lock brakes were activated. The dealer stated that the electronic throttle body failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The part for the repair was on back order. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the repair was no longer under warranty. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 62,143.

- Portland, OR, USA

Mar 142014

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and shuttered. The check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 14,750.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jul 022016

Fiesta

Driver side doors lock. Passenger doors do not. Car won't start. Battery is good. Fuel is good.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Aug 012012

Fiesta

I bought my car in 2011, and since 2012 my air conditioner only blows hot air. I have had it replaced multiple times, but it continues to break. My transmission, after several recalls, has continued to slip and mess up. Now, in the 4th year of me having my new car, I cannot pump gas at any station. When the nozzle is in the fuel tank, it continues to cut off, causing me to take 10X the amount to pump gas as it used it.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Apr 042016

Fiesta

Many times with in the last few months my Ford 2012 feista will just turn off while driving, it does not matter if its hot or cold, flat driving or mountain driving.the car really does not perform well in traffic situations, and the failure occurs more during stop and go type of driving. When this happens the engine malfunction light will turn on. At that time you have to turn the ignition switch off and restart the car, sometimes the signal will turn off, sometimes it does not. This failure has happened in the middle of intersections, on the freeway or just driving through town. The car will shutter sometimes before it shuts off, or just starts to stall. When this happens I am able to move to the shoulder or pull off the road to restart the car. This failure of the car just stopping while running while has a high potential of me being in an auto accident. Since this failure happens at any time and cannot be predicted I take my life and my families lives in danger every time we get into this car. I can only take guesses at what the problem is, it could be the fuel injection, transmission, or some type of engine misfire. I have had nothing but problems with car since we bought it. I have read many complaints of this type of failure for this vehicle when reading reviews. It is my hope this issue can become a recall or that Ford will take action.

- Fillmore, CA, USA

Feb 022016

Fiesta

When car is stopped or driving the transmission feels like it is going to slop. Feels like it is going to stall. Went T dealership and they said this is normal. This is not normal. Jerks and feels like chocking when driving or stopped. When accelerating jerks and feels like the transmission slips and isn't shifting. Went to dealership several times and they will not look into this. Looked online and noticed several forums and other people having the same troubles with the car. Needs to be corrected as it is a safety issue. Expressed. Concern with dealership that it was having troubles that it was either the transmission but looked at me. Like I did T know what I was talking about because I'm a chick.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Nov 012015

Fiesta

Ford Fiesta 2012 transmition shakes everytime I go from stop to first and second gear, it vibrates and hesitates horrible, and the dealers keep saying it is "normal" even though I test drove a new Ford Fiesta and it does not have the same issue. I really do not know what to do now. I would not be able to sell it like this, and it can not be repaired because it is "normal"!

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jan 192016

Fiesta

Today, 1/19/2016 is my 6th visit to Ford dealer service since 2014 August. My car has been towed in to service location with condition of transmission shudders excessively. I was not able to drive the car with a in-operating transmission. It is very sad, I do not feel safe to drive the vehicle no more than 15 miles if I can. Transmission and clutch has been fixed for 3 times. Every time I have talked to Ford customer rep. They are telling me I should be okay because they extend my transmission coverage to 100.000 miles. Should I toss my car after 100.000 " I definitely do not feel I can make it to 100.000 without an injury!!! will company wait until someone get injured for a buyback policy? who is responsible for the time I spent on the issue"

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 212013

Fiesta

I'm filing this complaint against Ford Motor Company concerning my 2012 Ford Fiesta the vechicle has severals recall 0N it about the transmission I have put the vechicle in the shop six times since I purchase the vechicle in 2013 the vechicle jerks/shudder/climb up hill slow/roll back on hills/I almost been in several accident because of this vechicle I was driving on the freeway/stop on a hill vechicle roll back almost bump vechicle behind

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 022015

Fiesta 4-cyl

Several recalls for different parts have been issued since the purchase of this car. The transmission does not engage all the time causing the car to jerk and move forward quickly without notice and cause damage to the car. Go up hills the transmission has cut out before and then shot forward as previously described. Door latches can and will come open allowing for the door to open while the car is in motion. This vehicle is not safe and now I am stuck with it.

- Edmonds, WA, USA

Sep 172015

Fiesta

I bought the car less than 5 months ago and have driven it 2,580 miles. The transmission and clutch are defective. It has been to the shop 3 times, they have already reprogrammed it, replaced the clutch and now they are replacing the transmission control module. The car has not shifted right from the day I bought it. It feels like it is going to "stall" when I'm in reverse (in motion), or when going from stop to go. I have been braking on numerous occasions, when it decided to upshift, lurching the vehicle forward, once into a crosswalk, once very close to another vehicle. This is very dangerous. It never drives the same way twice. When entering traffic, it doesn't always want to shift properly, and has lack of acceleration or a delay. It shakes, hard sometimes (in motion and stationary), it feels like you are in a massage chair. It makes a weird clicking noise, at times (in motion.) other times a weird grinding noise. Today it wouldn't get out of 1st gear (in motion) and had to be towed back to the dealer. I had to call out of work and I am concerned for my safety. Car bought 7/72015 - problems have been going on until today - 12/7/2015

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Nov 022015

Fiesta

I've already reported on this site before regarding my 2012 Ford Fiesta with clutch failure (in December 2013 at just over 32,000 miles). Recently my car was acting sluggish and I made an appointment a few weeks from when I called (when an appointment was available). Then one morning while trying to start my car it died and refused to start. I had it towed to Ford, and it had a transmissional control module (tcm) failure which I guess caused my transmission to fail/engine not to start. This was at 48,000 miles. They fixed it and returned the car to me on 11/7 but the clutch still doesn't feel right. My car shudders, shakes, and has trouble kicking into gear which makes it feel dangerous to drive especially in city traffic or in the hilly areas of Colorado. I just had the clutch replaced at just over 32,000 miles and now at 48,000 miles it's giving out again!? it's crazy and it was just at Ford. I'm about to take negative equity on my car and get a safer car for my commute and for winter. I feel bad for who buys it next but I need a car that is safe to drive. I've been holding out hoping for nhsta and Ford to do the right thing and recall the cars/buy them back since Ford still does not have a permanent fix for these issues (3-4 years later and they still manufacture the cars the same way so later models have issues too!). I'm shocked that nothing has been done. After my last scare and fearing that I won't be able to get a good trade in value on my car for a new one if I wait I think I'm done. My next car definitely won't be a Ford

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 312013

Fiesta

This vehicle has had consistent transmission shudder and engine rattle upon acceleration which affects the the initial acceleration of the car. The sporadic delay in initial acceleration has been an ongoing safety concern. Most recently the vehicle almost stalled completely after beginning to accelerate into a merge. There was a few second delay in any movement or power to the car. Luckily there was no one coming at the time or this vehicle malfunction would have caused a serious accident. My car has been in to a Ford service center 5 times for this complaint and it is still not resolved. I am also concerned that Ford knowingly replaced the clutch and seals in my car with malfunctioning parts. Apparently newly engineered parts were produced as a patch for this issue. Either the old parts were used to fix my car, which would be quite an egregious safety issue, or the newly engineered parts are still malfunctioning. Either way I do not feel that my Ford Fiesta is safe to be on the road and Ford has not adequately address this issue to resolve the matter.

- Ambler, PA, USA

Oct 072014

Fiesta

My vehicle was having trouble changing gears and felt as though it was going to die at the intersections. I took my vehicle to the dealership where they performed a "reprogram PCM and tcm". within a month of this repair, my vehicle was exhibiting the same issue! I took it to a dealership in phoenix, AZ and it took almost 5 weeks to get the new transmission delivered to the dealership due to the part being out of stock with the numerous requests for new transmission on this year vehicle. I had to fight with the dealership to keep the rental car I was provided with. They continually called me requesting I bring the rental car back although my vehicle was not yet repaired. I have been having continuing problems with my car and took it in to the dealership today for yet another recall on my transmission and was told it would take approximately 3 days to perform and that Ford will not provide me with a rental vehicle while my repairs are being performed. How can a company sell a car to consumers with a knowingly defective transmission and not be accountable to the people that purchased this vehicle in good faith" I can not believe that the safety commission is not holding Ford accountable and making them reimburse and rectify this safety hazard. I have made my entire family aware in writing, should something happen to me in this vehicle, they are to proceed with a law suit! how many people need to be injured before this vehicle is recalled?????"

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 302015

Fiesta

Radiator ac condenser cooling fan will short out and catch fire without warning. Extensive damage..

- Fort Smith, AR, USA

May 032014

Fiesta

I bought my 2012 Ford Fiesta during May 2014 with 23,279 miles on it. It has given me nothing but problems ever since I bought it. Problems I have experienced are: Intermittent shuddering when taking off, loss of power when accelerating, jerking and hesitation when accelerating and electrical issues affecting the radio. I have nearly gotten into multiple accidents due to the loss and hesitation during acceleration, especially when passing cars on highways and pulling out into intersections. I have brought it back multiple times to be fixed and the only thing that has been fixed is the intermittent shuddering due to a new clutch they put in. I am still experiencing loss of power when accelerating, along with jerking and hesitation when accelerating and electrical issues affecting the radio. I don't know what to do as I keep bringing the car back without getting it returned fixed. I do not feel safe in this car, as I fear for my life along with the lives of others on the road. However it is the only car I have.

- Springvale, ME, USA

Jul 092015

Fiesta

This vehicle has become dangerous for the third time since I have owned it. The transmission won't engage properly when pulling out from a traffic light or stop of any kind and I have been almost broad sided more than once. I cannot make it through the intersection without the transmission jerking and the car stopping long enough to be dangerous. Also, it makes a metallic sound and feels as if it is grinding. I am still paying for this vehicle and it is sitting at a Ford dealership for the third time. This time, Ford will not return my calls and the dealership tells me that the parts are back ordered and another customer has already been waiting for two months for his to be fixed. Please help me get a safe vehicle to drive!

- Horsham, PA, USA

Jan 012015

Fiesta

When I am at a stop sign or stop light my vehicle if I don't have the brake on securely I will roll a bit backwards until I put my foot on the break. As well as when I start to go at a light or stop sign the engine will sputter out while I put my foot on the gas peddle for the fist time since stopping. Then the engine will catch itself as I let off the gas peddle and then re-attach my foot to the gas peddle. There is a sputter grumble noise that happens at this time and a jerking movement you feel as the engine catches itself. Like the tranny is too low or something.

- Garland, TX, USA