2013 Ford Fiesta drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Fiesta:

2013 Ford Fiesta Owner Comments (Page 5 of 12)

Apr 152013

Fiesta 4-cyl

2013 Ford Fiesta. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle automatic transmission shifting problems. There was a leak coming from the transmission output shaft seal. The shaft seal and clutches were replaced. The consumer continued to experience problems. MA 10/5

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 132013

Fiesta

I was driving on a street in my Fiesta and was at a stop. When I pressed the gas to go again the vehicle jerked forward more quicker then usual and bumped the car in front of me. I have had this car in the shop 5 times for transmission problems and no one is fixing it. I was in another accident recently when I pressed the gas and the car did not accelerate while I was turning in front of traffic. I could have been killed, my car was hit due to me not accelerating.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Jan 282014

Fiesta

I bought a 2013 Ford Fiesta in April and by January 2014 the transmission started chattering, shuttering and feeling like it will stall or drop out of gear. I took the car to the Ford dealership in monroe mi. On 1/28/14 w/20829 miles, was told this is normal for your transmission. They reprogrammed the trans. Took back 5/21/14 at 30282 miles same problem, was told this is normal for your transmission. They reprogrammed the transmission. Took back on 7/18/14 at 34361 miles same problem, dealership rebuilt transmission. Took back on 6/24/15 at 59048 miles same problem again happening. They reprogrammed the transmission. I've been having this issue for over 40000 miles with a 23000 mile time after the rebuild that the problem was very small or weak until it started getting worse again. Ford won't do anything, they say the transmission is in specification according to the dealership. The dealership drives the car very few miles and deems the car in specification. I drive 30 miles to work and this problem persists daily, intermittently from stop to stop. This is a dangerous flaw in the transmission because at times when taking off the car looses power feeling like its going to stall or pop out of gear.

- Trenton, MI, USA

Feb 252013

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fiesta. While driving 10 mph, an abnormal rattling noise emitted from the transmission. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the clutch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 6,600.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 162013

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that while the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate and jerked. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the clutch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was then taken to a dealer, and the computer that controlled the clutch was reprogrammed but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000.

- Ovideo , FL, USA

Mar 182015

Fiesta

Purchased Fiesta used in Dec 2014. Told by golf mill dealership no recalls on this vehicle. In March or April 2015 clutch in automatic transmission was replaced because upon acceleration the car hesitated and lurched forward. In may the same issue is occurring. Had the timing reset and the car is lurching again.

- Park Ridge, IL, USA

Jul 242013

Fiesta

I purchased a 2013 Ford Fiesta in July of 2013. The first two weeks I was driving it, I noticed jerking, lunging, and shuttering when trying to accelerate from low speeds or from a stopped position. Soon thereafter, a metal noise started from the engine area. I took it back to the dealership and they said I had a problem with the "clutch" in the transmission and it would have to be replaced. It took a while (11 days) to get the part in, but the work was done. Several weeks later the problem started again. I drove the car as it was because I needed it for my busy job. When I transferred to houston in the fall of 2014, I had it serviced again at the local Ford dealership because the problem was getting worse. They had my car for 3 days and all they said was it "needed an update." Update or not, the problem was and is still there. The lunging, and mis-shifts have never been worse. I put up with it until this week when I accelerated in houston traffic and my Fiesta would not go. I could have caused a terrible accident and injury to myself and others due to the transmission not functioning properly. The shuttering is so bad that it seems as if the car's back brakes are locked up and the car is dragging its back end. I have a new appointment on 6/29/15 with the same dealership that did the "update." This will be the third time I have had a dealership attempt to fix this problem.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 022013

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fiesta. When the contact depressed the accelerator pedal, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate for approximately three seconds before operating as normal. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 900.

- Fairview Park, OH, USA

Nov 012014

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fiesta. While accelerating from a stop, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate and jerked. The vehicle was taken to a dealer multiple times who diagnosed that the clutch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 18,000. MA 08/14/15

- Leesburg, GA, USA

Jul 032014

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fiesta. While driving approximately 20-35 mph, the vehicle shuttered, hesitated, and made a clanking sound. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer, but was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 8,000.

- Southgate, MI, USA

Dec 102014

Fiesta

While traveling at 55 mph on the highway my Ford Fiesta started to not shift up or down and seemed a bit stuck. After taking it to the dealer they reprogrammed the powertrain control module. Only a couple months later the car started to having trouble with gear shifting at low and high speeds and also seems to slip when trying to shift. Car has repeatedly come close to stalling and has lost almost all power at various times. The car dealer now says it needs a new clutch and it will take 16 weeks for it to arrive. Until then I am not to drive it long distances. Very dangerous car, I am afraid I will be hit trying to turn because the engine will lose power at the wrong time.

- Twain Harte, CA, USA

Oct 302014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Car makes a grinding noise as mileage increase and does not shift properly. Hesitation while trying to accelerate, makes grinding noise and stutter /shuttering. It rolls backwards on inclines and the transmission jerks while I am driving. It has been serviced twice for the same problem and each time I was told that this normal. Car runs okay for 3000 miles most of the time. I fear that I am going to rear end someone and that someone will rear end me. It makes noise as I turn corners.

- Woodbine, NJ, USA

Aug 012013

Fiesta

Ever since I bought this car back in July of 2013 it has had transmission issues. It fails to accelerate quickly, instead just grinds gears and violently shakes. Ford supposedly "fixed" this 6 months ago, with the end result being actually worse. I was told it needed another part (clutch) and have been waiting 6 weeks for it, which is how long they said it would be. I just called and they said this is such a big issue that there were 35,000 of these parts on back order and it would be another 12 weeks at least until this issue is fixed. This is a huge safety concern! I have 2 little children and if a car were to swerve into my lane I would not be able to accelerate out of the way. I told this to Ford and what they said is that "this hasn't happened yet" which after reading reports online, I can tell is untrue. Thousands and thousands of complaints have been filed for over 4 years. They didn't offer any other assistance, except to tell me that maybe I should just trade it back in. I don't understand how this issue hasn't been addressed yet. And it is shocking to see how little Ford cares for the safety of their customers.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Apr 052013

Fiesta

When starting to accelerate the car will begin to shutter and act like it wants to die and then it will stop and continue to shift and accelerate without a problem. This is an ongoing problem between speeds of 10-25 miles per hr. The most time it will perform these problems is when the car has been driven over an hour or in hot N humid temperatures. The shuttering and attempting to die is getting worse. When examined by Ford dealership they discover no problem and suggested I live with the problem or better yet baby the car. Idid not pay $26000 to baby a car that has a bad transmission. Unless a reliable suggestion is given me on how Ford will fix the car I will consult an attorney in the near future.

- Lewistown, IL, USA

Sep 022013

Fiesta

Transmission jerks, jumps, hesitates and makes horrible grinding noise. Transmission was completely rebuilt at 13000 miles, but within 5000 miles it was doing the exact same thing. I feel very unsafe at time, especially in low gears. I fear I will turn left and the car will stall or that it will jump forward so hard I may rear end someone.

- Canton, MI, USA

Oct 012013

Fiesta 4-cyl

I leased this as my first new car. When I first purchased it, I loved it. As time went on, I noticed that my car would start to jerk as I'd accelerate and the shifting was never smooth. When I had an oil change, I asked about it and was told that because it was converted from a manual to an automatic (like all the automatic Fiestas), it felt like I was shifting gears. I'm not too good with cars, so I trusted Ford. It got worse over time and to this day they say that it is normal. I've went in twice for recalls and services on my car. They still say it's normal. This is not normal. I've opted to lease another car because I am so unhappy with my Ford. I still have it, but I don't like to drive it. If I had to do it again, I would never lease a Ford. It feels like I've wasted my money and they do not care about their customers.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Apr 242015

Fiesta

I had routine maintenance performed at the dealership on my 2013 Ford Fiesta on April 10, 2015. Everything passed inspection. Shortly thereafter, I began to notice the vehicle was sounding louder. As the weeks went on, it got progressively louder, I liken it to the sound of an airplane engine, and it would sometimes hesitate. On April 24, 2015, while running errands with my wife and 2 young children, the car stalled as we attempted to pull out of a store parking lot onto an extremely busy route. An SUV narrowly missed hitting us. The car finally went into gear and we were able to proceed with caution. From that point on, it has been shuddering and there is a grinding noise that can be heard. I brought it in to the dealership the next day. They say they are aware of this problem occurring with numerous Fiesta's and Focus's, but cannot do anything because the parts are unavailable. I feel unsafe behind the wheel and I fear my car may be irreversibly damaged, or worse, someone may lose their life.

- East Hartford, CT, USA

Apr 152014

Fiesta

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fiesta. While driving at approximately 10 mph and accelerating, the vehicle jerk and shook without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the clutch to the transmission failed and needed to be replaced and the RPM needed to be adjusted. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Dec 152014

Fiesta

After I had this car about 16 months and around 12000 miles, the transmission started to act up. It would jerk the car and then it wouldn't accelerate. They reset the computer and changed the transmission. It ran ok for about a month or two and driving one day it felt like the whole bottom dropped outta the car and I couldn't go. They reset the computer 2 more times in a 5 month span and said there is nothing else to do bc all the tests come back within Ford specs. I feel like I'll get killed on the highway because if I try and change lanes I cant accelerate to keep up with the flow of traffic. In the city it jerks all around. It seems to work best under 25 mph as long as I don't hit the gas or brakes. It takes alot to get it up to 65 mph and as soon as you take your foot off the gas it drops to 45 in seconds and then its hard to get going again. For a brand new car its ridiculous, I'm just happy I can hand the keys in another few months, if it doesn't kill me first.

- Jessup, PA, USA

May 082014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Within the first year of owning this car, the transmission started displaying signs of defectiveness. It began exhibiting a grinding noise when in low gears. As mileage increased (~12,000 mi), it started not shifting properly with either hesitation, skipping or jolting forward. Now (~25,000mi), the vehicle is shuttering and vibrating in low gears (1 & 2). In other words, I feel like I have no control over my vehicle and both myself and others on the road are in danger. I have brought my car in three times for the same problem. It has been reprogrammed twice with the PCM and tcm updated. The problem has been occurring for 1.5 years without any potential to be resolved. I would have brought my car in to get serviced additional times, but I was told by the service technician that there is nothing else they can do but run tests on the transmission, that will result in the same outcome. My transmission apparently "runs within spec" but there is something wrong and this problem should be a concern to all drivers, not just owners of Ford Fiesta's or Focus', as they are endangered just being on the road with said vehicles. When driving my Ford Fiesta, I fear that I am going to rear end someone or get stuck in an intersection because I am no longer in control of my cars acceleration.

- Farmingdale, NY, USA