2013 Ford Fiesta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Fiesta:

2013 Ford Fiesta Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 052014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Hello, my wife and I purchased a 2013 Ford Fiesta in may of 2013. We noticed a hesitation and stalling problem almost immediately. We thought it might be bad gas so we waited and put higher grade gas in it and the problem still continued. At this time, we thought that the problem would be a recall by Ford since it was happening all of the time so we waited for a recall notice. Approximately in September of 2014 the car was still having this problem and Ford sent us a notice that they were aware of the problem. My wife took the car in to have it looked at and they said they have a fix for it which should make it better but would not stop the problem but it would take a while to get it scheduled for service. We scheduled the vehicle and a few weeks later it was done and the problem continued so I took it back in and told them it was still doing it. The employee at the dealership, that I purchased it at, told me that they could not do anything about it until Ford comes up with a fix for the problem. I posted on Ford service on facebook and then they contacted me and looked into the problem. A customer service representative called me today and verified the same story saying that the problem could not be fixed right now. I asked about the warranty and they seemed uninterested stating again that they can't fix it. Another problem is that this car has had this problem over a few year period, so they are aware of it yet they continue to sell it. This car is dangerous, it has even shut off on us a couple of times. The biggest problem driving it is that it will start to take off then will almost shut down leaving you at risk to oncoming traffic before it takes off, there have been some close calls. It is shameful such a large company as Ford would not fix this problem or take care of its customers. Worst car I have ever owned.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Jul 172014

Fiesta 4-cyl

This is the second time now that my car has to go back in to the shop the first time the transmission has burnt out the cliche and the told me this happen time to time. This car has made me almost get in to several car crashes so now is the second time my transmission has gone out its just a matter of time till it happen again hopefully it won't be while I driving and try to change lanes it shifts very hard and hesitate when you give it gas lest see what the Ford dealership will try to pull a fast one on me and tell that there is nothing wrong with my car.

- Suffolk , VA, USA

Jun 162014

Ford Fiesta 2013 (automatic transmission) - started car. Put car in reverse. Car did not reverse and there were rattling and grinding sounds coming from transmission. Restarted car. Car reversed. However, once car was put into drive the transmission was rattling and grinding again. Once I tried to accelerate, the car lurched forward, stopped and lurched forward again. The acceleration was not smooth, it felt like the car might stall. The engine noises were loud and not typical. Until I reached 45 miles per hour, the engine did not quiet down. Driving in traffic was terrible. I had to leave extra room to stop as I did not trust the car to downshift properly. I had to leave extra room to accelerate because I could not predict if the car would go at all or accelerate at an unpredictable speed because the transmission was not trustworthy and the clutch kept slipping. Overall, the Fiesta's transmission issue has to do with the vehicle's design, and this is not an isolated incident. From 20,000 miles on, I have taken the car in twice to try and fix this defect and it continues to exist. I currently do not have the car as it is at the dealership and has been for 24 days and counting. They can't seem to fix the defects and this transmission design should be investigated. I am currently working with the BBB autoline to try and resolve this issue.

- Cream Ridge, NJ, USA

Aug 012013

Fiesta 4-cyl

My 2013 Ford Fiesta SE hatchback has acceleration issues I believe will cause me to be in an accident. While accelerating into traffic the vehicle can down shift or "bog down", causing me to lose acceleration and nearly causing collisions. Had it not been for the defensive driving of the other drivers I definitely would have been in an accident.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

May 082013

Within 1 month of driving I kept hearing crazy grinding noises and it would bog out between 0-30..-RPM would jump to 5 on slight acceleration than dive back to 0; Ford dealer did "computer update on electronics" - did not fix problem; they said I needed to "adapt to the different clutch"; car continued to have problems between shifting into 2nd gear- took to dealer and another "update" was done. I was driving on major highway and had to drop speed from 45 to 30 to crossover to different highway and the car completely locked up as if it went into neutral. I managed to get car home without having a stroke and shut it off. When I got home I called dealer who came and towed it- the dealer replaced the clutch. After about 2 mos I noticed it was not shifting right again and became concerned for my safety due to prior highway incident. I took it in and the transmission was completely replaced; along with another clutch. Now it is making a ticking sound and I am concerned of a gas odor. I will be taking it back again. I filed lemon law on it after the highway incident. My greatest fear is that this car is very popular for middle class families looking for an affordable car for their new teen driver. The new driver will not be experienced enough to realize how to handle the situation or know that the car is malfunctioning. The 2013 Ford Fiesta needs to be recalled!!!

- Warren, OH, USA

Jan 222014

Fiesta 4-cyl

Harsh shifting of transmission, or other transmission shifting complaints/problems. Loss of power on initial take-off from a stop or from low speeds. The feeling of the transmission "slipping". harsh or delayed engagement of transmission "jerking" or "shuddering" upon take-off from a stop. Vehicle rolls backwards when on an incline. Vehicle loses power when on the interstate and you try and accelerate to pass another vehicle.

- Uvalde, TX, USA

May 132013

Fiesta 4-cyl

Bought a 2013 Ford Fiesta brand new and I have had nothing but issues with it. It feels like something is getting caught when I try to accelerate and then when it does accelerate it jerks, and grinds and all sorts of other noises. When I am in stop-go traffic it feels like it is bouncing up and down and at points I am being jerked in my seat along with the car. Going up a hill is the worst of all because it makes noises and sounds/feels like it is going to stall- sometimes just trying to get up a hill feels like I am trying to drive through thick mud. I have taken it back to Ford several times and they tell me it is nothing. One time the lady who was scheduling the appointment told me that her car does it but it is normal and something that you have to get used to because of the transmission. When I get my sheet back after I have had it in the shop they barely and vaguely acknowledge how they checked the problem and state they couldn't find anything. There is no way that it is normal to be apprehensive when driving your brand new car because you are not sure that you are going to be able to accelerate in time to pull out into traffic.

- North Versailles, PA, USA

Aug 202013

I bought a new 2013 Ford Fiesta in November of 2012. I have had nothing but problems since. It has been in the shop more than 3 times, once was a broken catalytic converter, the other time was a soaked clutch, and another time was to get recalibrated. This car has acceleration issues and almost causes many accidents for me, it is shaky and bumpys, and jumpy. Everytime I take it in there is something wrong with and they advised me its not normal for new cars, when I read the reviews everyone has the same issues. There is also a roll back when you stop and press the gas to go, I have almost hit multiple cars in front of me because of this.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Mar 202013

I own a 2013 Ford Fiesta. We bought it new off the lot. A month after purchase the vehicle's transmission started to sputter and fail to shift into gear. Several times it was a little nerve racking and unsafe because the vehicle would fail to accelerate in a timely manner. This is a big problem when you try to merge with traffic or pass another vehicle, or even travel through an intersection. We have taken the vehicle to Ford 4 different times to get fixed and nothing seems to work, it just gets worse. Now the vehicle shakes when the transmission tries to shift, my wife had to pull over and stop on the freeway because the vehicle would not shift into a gear. She almost got hit by another vehicle.

- Yelm, WA, USA

Apr 152012

After a long battle with the dealership over a previous death trap[used] the owner agreed to rectify that issue with a brand new 2013 Ford Fiesta.that was a great thought till the first engine light coming on, they found no reason except the gas tank has no cap.I was told this is dirt around the seal and it will keep happening unless I buy my own cap. Well it wasn't long and my car started spitting missing hesitating, engine light comes back on I take it back in they believe there is a pinhole in my gas line.they keep my car for a week they did supply a loaner not a Fiesta !!!! I told them of the issues but they found a couple weeks ago I took it back for these issues I had pointed out to them previously.I had the service person ride along he felt aa of the issues heard all of the sounds the grinding, revving.I am so afraid in this car getting on and off ramps it doesn't pick up speed it almost sounds like the gears are reversing.I cannot pass anyone, I live in a highly traveled area for tourists who don't drive the same as locals on single lane roads.a brand new car isnt suppose to make you feel that you were better off not having a car. Ford should be dont take shortcuts or rush a product that can badly affect hundreds of thousands of people. I want out of my contract I owe more than this car is worth, I do blame the dealer also for continuing to sell this death trap. Just saying enough people are having the same issues and if anyone who has made this complaint ends up in an accident due to these obvious issues that have been brought to the attention of Ford, dealerships and the national safety board I hope these families sue your pants off. Forcing you out of business.unless you rectify each persons individual situation and not a generac brushoff.been there done that.get on the ball and fix this problem now!

- Mcdaniel, MD, USA

Nov 092013

Fiesta 4-cyl

From a stop sign making a right turn onto a highway my 2013 Ford Fiesta now decides to make loud grinding noises from the 6 speed auto transmission when accelerate to normal highway speed hesitates and almost was rear ended from the vehicle behind me had to quickly pull to the right of the road before merging back on the highway. Have taken to the dealer three times for unusual transmission slippage, and noises waiting on a back order dual clutch kit part,1700 hundred on back order was told may take up to 6 months for this part to arrive.

- Atwater, CA, USA

Jul 272013

I almost died in this car today. I rented it for my trip in maui. It was practically new with only 10,000 miles on it, so there should not have been anything wrong, even if the people that rented it before me drove it horribly. Today I drove it into the hills (upcountry maui). I was on a road with a cliff on the left side and a driveway on the right. I pulled into the driveway, which was a hill going up, and everything was initially fine, the car was going up the hill just fine, but a little over halfway up the hill the car stopped accelerating/moving. I was pressing the gas pedal to the floor but it had no rpms and the car began rolling backwards. Suddenly, the transmission (?) kicked in and the car lurched forward at 20mph. Thankfully I was able to control it and make it to the top of the hill, where there was a parking lot. Had the transmission not kicked in at that second, the car would have rolled all the way back down the driveway and off the cliff. There is absolutely no way that I was pressing the brake pedal or not pressing the gas. I was going up a hill and obviously didn't want to roll back, so of course I would have my foot pressed down on the accelerator. This is further exhibited by the fact that the car suddenly lurched forward after a few seconds of not moving, so I definitely had my foot on the accelerator the whole time. I have read online hundreds of people that have issues with the car not accelerating/moving while pressing on the gas, so this is not an isolated issue. What if this happens to someone else who is riding it in the hills or mountains? please do something about this car before someone is seriously hurt.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 232013

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that the while driving 15 mph and attempting to accelerate, the vehicle shook violently and without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for a diagnostic and the central computer was reset however, the failure recurred. The failure was not reported to the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 8,500. The current mileage was 15,900.

- Dekalb , IL, USA

Nov 122012

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fiesta. The contact stated that while in a low gear, the vehicle erroneously accelerated without warning. The vehicle was able to be driven to the dealer where the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue. The failure mileage was 200 and the current mileage was 211. The VIN was not available.

- San Carlos, CA, USA