2005 Ford Five Hundred drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Five Hundred:

2005 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 042016

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. While driving various speeds, it was difficult to shift gears. The contact did not notice if any warning indicators were illuminated. A mechanic determined that the transmission failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 145,753.

- Woodbridge, CA, USA

Apr 122016

Five Hundred

The transmission disengages at various speeds even on the interstate at 55+ mph causing it to lose power. You must be able to get it stopped on the side of the road and shut the car off and then restart it to correct the problem for a short period of time.

- Weston, WV, USA

Feb 022016

Five Hundred

I own a 2005 Ford Five hundred cvt. 2 months ago the transmission began acting up. Driving along and the "wrench" lite comes on then the "skid" lite comes on. The car goes into a loss of power, like low gear. It moved but revs up and won't shifts up. I know its a constant velocity trans so it is at its lower ratio. After hours of diagnostic it comes down to the trans control module, and still not sure. The obd codes say loss of communication, a U code. Every inch of harness has been checked the whole interior has been removed, dash disassembled. I'm into it over $2,000. I love the car, it rides great. Its has been well maintained. Ford I need help. Need to recall this issue or how about a P01 or Z01 policy adjustment.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Sep 072015

Five Hundred

Leaving a grocer at 13:15 on 9/7/2015 started to back out of parking spot when auto suddenly accelerated backward, across the aisle and slammed into parked vehicle with impact sending that auto into a 3rd. Damages to both vehicles. When I went to pull into my original slot to deal with situation, as soon as I removed foot from brake, auto lunged forward at high rate of speed, jumped a 6" landscape curb and plowed into the front end of a Cadillac srx causing major damage to that vehicle, still unk total damage to mine. It was a very hot day and the ac was running. No other vehicles were occupied other than mine, and I was sole occupant. My airbag did not deploy and passenger's was not turned on. I did receive a significant bruise on my sternum from the shoulder component of my seat belt. My foot was not on the accelerator for either "lunge". crashes were witnessed and peoria AZ police did respond with 2 units. Officers did take information, but when I inquired about incident # for my records officer responded that there would be no report and no citations as it occurred on private property. My insurance carrier was contacted from site, but being a holiday, I was not able to speak with adjuster at that time. Knowing that it was not my actions that caused this incident, I checked the next day and discovered that this identical situation had been under investigation with NHTSA at the time I purchased the car on or about 11/16/12 at which a service program to retify was in effect. With my incident though, major damage occurred. Neither at the time of purchase, nor throughout the investigation & tenure of my ownership (current) was I notified of the known safety problem nor it's program to mitigate. Attached aerial photo shows back to back dimension to first impact and back to front dimension of 2nd. I was parked in position of white vehicle.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Aug 012014

Five Hundred

This problem is going for a while, even in a stop light, foot on brake pedal the engine accelerate himself and while shifting from park to reverse or drive the sound on the transmission is hard. It go from 700 rpms to 1300 rpms on seconds, and now is worse. Took the vehicle to two Ford repair dealers, after putting on the computer, both wanted to charge me $6,000 on a transmission, even knowing the recalls on this units.this car looks like new I can send you photos, and I love my car.

- Yauco, PR, USA

Jul 122014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I was driving down the road 35mph at the time and all of a sudden my car stops in the middle of the road and the wrench light came on. I had to cut the car off then sit for a few minutes then crank back up. The next time I drove it I was driving 55 mph and then all of a sudden it stopped while I was driving the wrench light came on again I was stuck in the road then after a few minutes I was able to crank back up. I drove the car for a few weeks so I decided to drive home one day on I-95 as I was driving it stopped again with crazy traffic. After this episode when I finally made it home I decided to park my car for several weeks until I called Ford to see if there was a warranty and they told me to bring my car to be repaired only to be told it was not under warranty and it would cost me $2000 to get my car repaired because there was a also a leak which is supposed to be under recall. I've read a lot of things going on with this car in particular the 2005 Ford Five hundred. I called the Ford 800 number that the mechanic gave me to see if they would repair the throttle for my car they told me that its over the mileage warranty and there is nothing they can do and they didn't even apologize for my inconveniences when I was stopped on the road, I am currently using a borrowed car because I don't want to put my life in jeopardy driving this car until I am able to get it repaired.

- Fairmont, NC, USA

Aug 282013

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle failed to shift into gear and became inoperable. The failure occurred five times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 139,000.

- Ashburnham, MA, USA

Apr 082014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Traveling down the interstate at 75 mph we received a message on the message center about a failure of some sort (I don't remember what it said exactly now). We lost all acceleration of the car. We pulled over and let it sit while I looked up the error on my phone. I tried the car a bit later and it was fine. Then we kept getting the error. I took it to our Ford dealer and he cleaned the throttle body...then replace it a week later when that didn't fix it. A about 2 weeks later we were getting another error about the transmission failing. It started making a terrible noise. I still owe 3200 on this car, ,.and a new transmission is over 7K. Seriously?? I have read so many posts about the cvt transmission on the Five hundred and other cars failing. Ford should be ashamed of themselves for passing off something like this. Now I have a $3200 paper weight in my driveway....and I cannot afford to buy another car. Thanks Ford!!

- Armstrong, IA, USA

Jul 312014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Throttle assembly problem. Very similar concerns as earlier recall which supposedly applied fix to the car a couple years ago. Except.along with unexpected acceleration while stopped a new problem arises. Motor acts as if it is not getting fuel and slows to a crawl sputtering to a stop.. wrench malfunction light comes on. After cars sits for a period of time wrench display goes off and car operates normally. Owners manual indicates that this may be a throttle assembly problem. Prior recall notice that has expired. On multiple web boards problem is mention with great frequency for the Ford 500. This happened to my wife on a side street at 15-20 mph. If it occurred on next bust street it could have presented a dangerous scenario. Ford dealer acknowledged this as a known problem, but Ford mfg only provided 1 time fix in recall & since the throttle cleaning fixed the problem at the time of recall no further attention was needed. I mentioned they did extend for recurring problem but that extension 2013. I don't feel a mfg should be able to time limit a problem resolution that they never permanently fix. By what I read on the web this is an issue that needs areal resolution.....cost me 900+ dollars to fix and Ford nothing!

- Powell, OH, USA

May 082014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

2005 Ford Five hundred this product with a cvt transmission should be investigated and recalled immediately. There are thousands failing and it is very dangerous! the transmission disengages causing the automobile to lose power without warning. I've seen posts of thousands of this same failure beginning at 3500 miles! I contacted Ford because mine is doing this and they basically sent a form letter saying oh well, sorry about your luck. Many of Ford's products have this same issue with the cvt transmission including the Ford flex which is involved in a class action lawsuit. The Five hundred should be involved in this lawsuit as well.

- Cadillac, MI, USA

May 222014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Part of an ongoing series of issues with this vehicle (see earlier reports), initial symptom was the dash lights & needles shutting off intermittently (but now for extended periods). Vehicle then began showing random warning lights including "check engine", which was diagnosed first time as low fuel level sensors a & B. since that time I'd disconnected the battery on a suggestion of a mechanic friend and all the issues disappeared for a few weeks. Yesterday the check engine light came back, and the car was running poorly (creeping when first off brakes, not up shifting), when the dash was operable it showed alternating check engine/check transmission warnings, and vehicle was surging/lagging noticeably at highway speeds. I again did the battery disconnect last night, and the car is operating normal today, but I'm sure it will recur shortly. I am hesitant to take it to a dealer as this sounds like a significant electronics issue, and I have already read up on the Ford tsb 06-17-9 that is documented online, not all of which aligns with my issues. Had the battery reset had no impact on the problems I would say it's a mechanical matter, but it seems clear its a computer or electrical issue.

- Northbridge, MA, USA

May 172014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

On the interstate headed towards denver, after about an hour, when to accelerate from about 70mph to ascend up the hills, the engine rpms accelerate, however, it feels that the transmission is disengaged (slipping) with no power to the drivetrain resulting in a drastic loss of speed. This happened numerous times in efforts to regain control and maintain speed. This was extremely hazardous as traffic was somewhat congested, and other drivers are expecting me to accelerate, however, vehicle was in a decelerating mode. This was only with light pressure to the accelerator. It sounded as if the gears had stripped in the transmission. We turned around and headed home, auto would not allow speeds over 60mph. Later the same happened at speeds of 35-40 on local roads. These transmissions are extremely dangerous. Ford knows of this problem and refuses to do anything about them.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Apr 052014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

When stopped at red light, car shook a couple times then check engine light immediately came on. When red light turned green, took foot off of brake and pressed gas pedal and was unable to drive, but car was still on. Throttle body control system failed and needs replacement.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 052013

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Approximately two months after service performed under NHTSA campaign PE11018 the vehicle began to accelerate irregularly and then it placed itself into "fail safe" mode and illuminated the check engine light. Vehicle was returned to the Ford dealer that performed the service and they determined that the electric throttle control was at fault but was not associated with the service they performed on the same component just weeks earlier. Dealer contacted Ford Motor Co and they also claimed the two were not related regardless of the similar claims found online.

- Whately, MA, USA

Dec 252006

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I have taken my 2005 Ford 500 to my local Ford dealer so many times I can not count for the same recurring issues. This vehicle always lunges when I put in gear in reverse or forward. The car lunged backward striking a parked car the first week I got it. I paid for all damage cause I didn't want to claim new car on my insurance. While driving on highway engine starts to decelerate while trying to pass car or change lanes..big problem in traffic..have to floor it till it kicks into gear. Dangerous. Then, everytime it rains, all 4 doors fill with water..I have to lift up rubber at the bottom..clear the holes..wait for 5 minutes each door. Every winter the driver side door latch freezes up and I can't close the door..I thought they dealer fixed the door latch due to a safety recall..that is not the case..several times, I have had to drive to work 15 minutes holding the door shut while driving down the highway.dangerous. I have had it lubed with several products, doesn't work..the service manager at my local Ford dealer showed me how to hold the door handle open while using a screwdriver to free the latch..handy little trick. I keep silicone lube spray, screwdriver, pliers, and a jumper box in the car at all times.I have called Ford Motor Co. Many times..always got run around and no straight answers. Finally last week after calling 5 times, I was transferred to a supervisor that explained to me that the other 10 times I called.no complaint was filed and informed me on the complaint process..I just purchased a new Taurus and am hoping to let my son use the 500 to drive to college daily..I am concerned about his safety in this car..so unless these issues are addressed and corrected, I don't know what to do..I have put a lot money into this car.what happen to the lemon law. This car is a lemon.

- Lake Geneva, WI, USA

Jul 172013

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated while driving uphill at 40 mph. The vehicle was taken to dealer for inspection but a clear diagnosis was not given. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Sunbury, PA, USA

Oct 162013

Five Hundred

When I started it up and tried to take off it stalled out and the wrench light came on.

- Orlando, FL, USA

May 062013

Five Hundred 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact received a service notice from the manufacturer about a throttle body remedy. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and routine service. The throttle body was cleaned but the contact stated that the vehicle began to idle at various speeds. The check engine lamp illuminated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000. Updated 01/07/2014 the consumer stated the during the test driving the vehicle it went into fail safe mode. The tech reset the light and returned the vehicle. N the way home the vehicle went into fail safe mode again almost causing an accident. Updated 01/22/2014

- Brooklyn , NY, USA

Sep 252013

Five Hundred

My 2005 Ford 500 while driving 25 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was coasted off road and restarted, but no power. The vehicle was checked where it was diagnosed as a throttle body failure.

- Princeton, WV, USA

Apr 092013

Five Hundred

I bought this car a year ago through rondupratt used cars in January 2012 car seemed to drag a little but didn't pay much attention to is as summer came around tried to use the ac it only blew cold on the freeway I just thinking it needed to be serviced buy the time I got the ac charged it was winter again. Buy March of next year the car started doing this weird shaking at every stop light and every stop sign the car would start to shake in April a letter comes in the mail explaining the car was being recalled due to the cars RPM idle surging took the car to fairfield Ford an when I got the car back it was worse then it. Had ever been so I decided to go pay rondupratt to diagnostic the car the said where I took the car to didn't perform the recall and the car needed an ac compressor and an egr valve I have gotten the egr valve replaced an the same day the car wouldn't go in to gear so confused on why they are allowed to sell cars that they know are experiencing theses problems and rant willing to do anything to fix the problem.

- Vacaville, CA, USA