8.8

2005 Ford Five Hundred drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Five Hundred:

2005 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments

Jul 182012

Five Hundred LS

Nary a problem for the first 100,000 miles, except brake jobs in 2 years -???? Recently, It's been in & out of the shop 3X in 4 weeks, for a total of 20 days - it's still there!! I'm driving around an uncomfortable Mazda sports car, which seat KILLS my back. The FH has BEST COMFORTABLE seats ever - that and the quiet ride made me fall in love with it yrs ago!! However, all of the problems it's having makes me realize we should have traded it in a year ago. First a/c compressor, then transmission ($3000, never fixed properly), then alternator (the same day it came out of shop for tranny), then original tranny problem came back!!! They've had the thing for a week & still do not know how to fix it!! What a nightmare. Used to love Ford but now probably will try Buick. Don't even know what will happen if they cant fix it!! We can't be out that original $3000 for work not done properly??? Oh Heaven help us!!

- , Rochester, NY, USA

Jun 022011

Five Hundred Limited

This problem's cost for repair should be covered by Ford!!! With so many people suffering the same problem with this vehicle there should of been a recall!! This is very dangerous & if there hasn't been already I'm sure there will be lawsuits against Ford for injuries from accidents that occur due to the problem!! The car lunges even while holding the brake in reverse & in drive!!

- , Warren, Michigan, USA

Jul 012010

Five Hundred Limited 3.0L

We've taken the vehicle to 3 different Ford dealers and the only thing done was the PCM was reprogrammed with updated software. The vehicle still stalls on the highway and goes into Failsafe. I have already filed a safety complaint with the NTSA. It appears this is a major problem with this model of Ford. There needs to be a recall for safety concerns.

- , Springboro, Ohio, USA

Oct 262009

Five Hundred 3.0L

Why a certified pre-owned, why pay more for a used car for a warranty that for all intent and purpose is a sales gimmick? It really doesn't cover anything.

My mother (88 years young) leased a 2005 Ford 500 Limited. At lease end she couldn't afford a new lease or buy, and her residual price was higher than what she could buy a similar car for. The salesman suggested I buy it form the dealer, after she turned it in, he could then make the price a little more competitive and then she could buy it from me. It saved a little money and then it would be 'certified pre-owned'. So the dealership took the car and did the 100+ check, and replaced the wiper blades. Everything was beautiful.

Until something actually went bad, it turns out Ford has a problem with a throttle body on some engines (car goes into the engine fail safe mode, trying to drive the car is rather dangerous, car hesitates, then lunges suddenly). OK so I am thinking, wow I am glad we got that certified used car, WRONG. To my disbelief the throttle body isn't covered. I can't wrap my head around this one, if the engine (part of the power train) came from the factory without a throttle body it wouldn't run, then by default it's a defective power train. But have no fear if the engine block, flywheel, exhaust manifold, oil pan, thermostat housing, timing chain cover, or the freek'n valve covers should fail, oh happy day Ford would be johnny on the spot and fix it.

Now my 88-year-old mother, on a fixed income, has to rent a car to get to her doctors appointments and other activities. That may be doable if it was just for a couple of days, but no the part is on back order (I am told it's the 3rd most back ordered part out of 500) and best estimate would be November 15th, but most likely not till 1st or 2nd week of December. So 4 to 6 weeks-rental fees, and she still is paying on the car, is just too much. No help from the Dealership, just were offered our cost of a rental car (6 weeks x 7 days x $28= $1176) then the cost of the repair $700 - $800. Total cost could be at $2000, absurd.

It's a piss poor system Ford has that would allow this to happen. How can a so-called world class auto company not be on top of this?

I have always owned American cars and I defended and supported the Auto Bail-Out, but I am now more understanding of the sediment that said, "let 'em fail". I thought the American auto companies were changing, I guess I was wrong. Do the right thing Ford especially with the part back ordered.

Previous problems with Ford products, (1) I had a 1994 Lincoln that I had to fight and finally got reimbursed (because of a recall) for a well known defective head gasket (along with a stack of work orders, not what a Luxury Car Should Be), (2) My son bought a new Explorer and after the warranty expired the transmission went bad (another well known problem defect on many transmissions) that again Ford didn't cover, and (3) My mothers Ford 500 and it's throttle body malfunction and part back order for weeks leaving a four year old car inoperable. Have you driven a Ford lately? My mom hasn't.

I now understand why the American car companies are loosing to foreign makers. I don't want to hear about how they use the same suppliers, if you want to beat them you have to be better than your competition. I am not saying I won't be buying American, but Ford has three strikes, and out for this inning. Now, when I shop for a new car my list will include all, foreign and domestic.

Thanks for nothing.

Everybody need to file a complaint to the NHTSA 1-888-327-4236, or http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm, and force Ford to recall this part.

- , Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Oct 022009

Five Hundred SE 3.0L V6

Wow only 24,812 miles on the car and the throttle body goes bad, car goes into the engine fail safe mode, trying to drive the car is rather dangerous, car stalls,won't go, then suddenly takes off. Take the car to the dealer!!! you guessed it, waiting for the part, which is part # 5f9z9e926b, now who is making the part, no one knows. So I hope everyone out there with a ford 500, or freestyle, will call the NHTSA, and log a complaint maybe that way ford will be forced to do a recall. the # to the NHTSA is 1-888-327-4236, when you call be patient, keep holding, and you will get to talk to a real person. One last note, that part on my car is no longer under warranty--3years or 36000miles lucky me, the cost to repair 740.00, IF AND WHEN THE PART SHOWS UP

- , Hesperia, CA, Afghanistan