2005 Ford Five Hundred electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Five Hundred:

2005 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jan 132011

Five Hundred

The gauges periodically go flat and the reverse lights come on. Ford knows about this, they've issued a technical service bulletin (tsb 06-17-9). The problem is a faulty solder joint and the instrument cluster needs to be replaced. This is not due to normal wear from driving but from poor design and should be recalled. Ford should correct their mistakes.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Oct 152008

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I purchased a used 2005 Ford 500 ltd AWD in May 2008. I was told it was a lease turn in. The mileage was very low, under 30,000 miles. The factory warranty expired in July 2008. In October 2008, my dash began malfunctioning. The gauges would go completely dead. I could not tell how fast I was going, how much gas I had left or the temperature of the engine. Nothing on my dash would work. It varied from lasting seconds to appx a half an hour. I drove home one night (it took me appx 25 minutes) not knowing how fast I was going or how much gas I had left. Also, the reverse lights were on when my car was in both drive and park. I stopped at a red light (my car was in drive) and the reverse sensor alarm went off when a car pulled up behind me. We took it to the dealership we bought it from & were told it was a cluster in the dash that was a "known problem with this vehicle" but because it was not a "safety issue" Ford did not have to recall this. I feel that not being able to know what speed you are driving down the highway to be a huge safety issue. Also having your reverse lights on while the car is in park or drive seems a bit dangerous as well. We had it repaired and it cost us over $400. About 2 weeks ago, we had to have another "cluster" repaired that was making my transmission shake & the check engine light as well another warning light appear. It was a sensor that went bad and was making my car think it was out of gas. This cost us almost $350 to repair. Not sure what's going on with the sensors/clusters on these cars but it seems to be a safety issue to me.

- Walkerton, IN, USA

Feb 122011

Five Hundred

My 05 Ford 500 has 58,000 miles on it and now the dash lights flash/go off and the gauges read 0. the reverse lights come on too. It was very scary when it happened. It appears to be at random: No particular time of day, no certain weather, and at no particular speed. I have family members who also have Ford 500S and say this has happened to them as well. This issue needs to be addressed!

- Batesville, IN, USA

Jan 182011

Five Hundred

Dash gauges, lights, inoperable. Stuck in various positions. Turn signals are inoperable and reverse lights are on in the drive position. Reverse warning indicators beep when in traffic at stop lights or when other vehicles get close to rear of vehicle. Air bag inoperable warning light is on all the time. Existing research by NHTSA indicates exterior lighting working on previous complaints. Internet research indicates turn signals and reverse lights do not operate when cluster fails. Possible air bag failure coupled with inoperable turn signals and increased risk of accident as well as reverse lights on in drive are major safety concerns.

- Idaho Falls, ID, USA

Aug 012007

Five Hundred

While driving the instrument panel blacked out and when it came back on the instruments all registered 0. after the initial incident it has continued to escalate. On or about December 26, 2010 the panel blacked out and the car bogged down and I had to pull off of the road, turn the car off and restart to get it to run normally. There is a real safety issue with the car and I feel that there should be a recall on this vehicle.

- Tamaroa, IL, USA

Dec 162010

Five Hundred

Apparently, I am not the first person to bring this issue to the NHTSA's attention. I like so many other, have also had a problem with my instrument panel on my Ford Five hundred. I would like for a recall to be issued as it has nearly caused me an accident today, and can lead to other hazardous driving conditions for others. The instrument panel on my car has failed completely, and my speedometer, odometer, and all other gauges shut off. Whenever I drive my car, the reverse (or white) light turns on despite the fact that I might be driving forward at 55mph on a highway. I think corrective action should be taken towards a resolution. There are countless others who have filed complaints and concerns regarding this very issue.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Dec 262010

Five Hundred

-the contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that the instrument panel stopped functioning. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who had the panel restored. The dealer could not guarantee that the failure would not occur again as the entire instrument panel needed to be replaced. The current and failure mileages were approximately 120,000.

- Pacifica, CA, USA

Dec 072010

Five Hundred

As I was slowing to turn off of a state highway, my car shut off and displayed a message that said "failsafe engine mode." I was somewhat able to steer, so I completed my turn onto a side street, where the car drifted to a stop. I was able to restart the car and drive home. The next morning, the car would start but immediately shut off, displaying the same error message. I had it towed to a garage, which indicated that the diagnostic test revealed a failed electronic throttle body. They ordered a replacement part, which was then installed. Incidentally, the part had since been redesigned by Ford. Once that part was reinstalled, the computer was reflashed to "learn" that a new throttle body assembly was installed. The computer would not learn the new part, though, so a new computer had to be ordered and installed. Over the last five years, this same problem (shutting off while driving) had occurred, but in each case I was able to restart the car without any further problem. This was dangerous in that my car simply shut off while I was driving, making a left turn across oncoming traffic. Fortunately nobody was coming the other direction, so I was able to safely drift through the oncoming lane to another side street. Also, it is important to note that while my car was at the dealership having the throttle body replaced, I was told that there were approximately five other Ford Five hundred vehicles in the shop at the same time for the same problem with their electronic throttles as well.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Jun 012010

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I purchased a 2005 Ford 500 4-door sedan 2-1/2 years ago from a Ford dealership. It was described as a "program" car. I soon noticed that the dashboard display lights would not light up during daylight hours, even though the rheostat was set on maximum brilliance. I proved this by driving into a dark parking garage and saw that the said lights turned on at maximum. I asked the service manager about this and he said Ford had wired the lights through the solar switch via the electronic control unit and could not be changed. This is a dangerous distraction when driving in daylight hours and to see the information O the dashboard the running lights must be turned off. In my opinion this defect needs to be remedied with a recall. Thank you.

- Hewitt, TX, USA

Oct 122010

Five Hundred

At first our 2005 Ford Five hundred had issues with instrument cluster failures (blacking out and needles zeroing etc. But now rear back up lights come on going down the highway because of this electrical problem. I believe this has to be considered a safety issue and should warrant a recall.thank you

- Manson, IA, USA

Sep 202010

Five Hundred

Instrument cluster failure. All gauges drop to zero. Multiple dash warning lights come on them go back off leaving the check engine light on. Turn signal lights will not operate. Problem is intermittent. The reverse lights come on when the car is not in reverse. Problem started this morning 9/20/2010 I can not believe that the NHTSA has not made Ford issue a recall!

- Mcclure, IL, USA

Jul 012010

Five Hundred

We own a 2005 Ford 500 and my wife has taken it to 3 different Ford dealers to have an issue looked at. The vehicle has stalled on her over a dozen times while driving down the highway and it has gone into fail safe mode. The vehicle seems to lurch when in gear either drive or reverse. I've looked up the issue on line and it appears to be very common with this model of vehicle. Throttle body and reprogramming of the PCM. I believe this to be a very big safety issue and there needs to be a recall on these before someone gets severely hurt.

- Springboro, OH, USA

Jul 152010

Five Hundred

Ford 500 2005 - 74K miles....car started jerking forward as soon as I lift my foot off the brake, which has almost caused me to run into things in a parking lot full of cars. The sensors went out, which I wasn't aware of until I backed into a tree without warning. Now the air conditioning has gone out and it seems my car is not the only one with these problems.

- Murphy, NC, USA

Jun 162007

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I purchased a 2005 Ford 500 ltd. The first incident occurred while driving home from atlantic city. The dashboard lit up like I was starting the car and went into failsafe engine mode. After pulling over, the car ran normal. The next occurrence was when the car started shutting off while driving. It has done this on numerous occastions. Then the dashboard lit up again and the reverse lights stayed on. This winter season the door latches would not catch to keep the doors shut. After it rains the rear doors have water sitting inside of them. Upon doing some research, I found that these problems were on Ford's technical service bulliten (tsb). I called Ford and they said there were no recalls according to the vehicle identification number. They also stated that there was work done prior to me purchasing the vehicle. I also had the car worked on for the electrical problem and was told the car was fixed. The car is still experiencing these problems. I don't have the finances to continue to have work done and the problems not be fixed.

- Deptford, NJ, USA

Nov 052009

Five Hundred

It started with my instrument cluster going out (no lights, gauges, anything) and it can last anywhere from 15 minutes to hours. The other night my boyfriend and I hit a deer and we went from 70 to 50 on impact (which was head on) and our airbags did not deploy. However a few minutes after the impact, the light came on saying something was wrong with the airbags.

- Neola, IA, USA

Jul 312006

Five Hundred 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. While driving 30 mph the vehicle began shaking and then idling as if it wanted to shut off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and inspected where it was determined that the valve body box was failing and the cost for repair would be $1800. The vehicle has not been repaired and the contact is trying to get the manufacturer to cover the cost of the repair. The contact called the manufacturer and a complaint was filed and the contact was advised that her claim would be reviewed. The failure mileage was 25,281 and the current mileage was 74,000. Updated 11/10/09 the consumer stated the vehicle shut off several times, the gauge act erratically. Updated 11/18/09

- Vancover, WA, USA

Jun 052009

Five Hundred

My wife called me outside and said the passenger side headlight was out, I said no problem I'll have it replaced in the morning, go ahead with one head-light, she only went around the block and came back screaming that the car was on fire, and the fire was right behind the headlight that just went out. I extinguished the flame and disconnected the battery. The car has been towed to the shop for an estimate. I contacted my Ford dealer, the car is not under warranty, 2005 Ford five-hundred with 58,150 miles in excellent condition. He said " they have never heard of that happening before, and to contact Ford customer relations on Monday.

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Mar 062009

Five Hundred

We are having a problem with the instrument cluster of our 2005 Ford Five hundred. All the lights on the dashboard go out. All the gauges drop down to zero. Sometimes this lasts for a second. Sometimes it will go out for hours. This is dangerous because you do not have a speedometer reading.

- Richland Center, WI, USA

Jan 042009

Five Hundred

I am driving a 2005 Ford Five hundred with the characteristics of tsb 06-17-9 where the instrumentation quits working and then comes back. This has happened several times. However, in addition to that, sometimes the turn signals quit working and when that happens the air bag light comes on and the back up light comes on even though the car is not in reverse. After the car sits a while, this clears up, but the check engine light will be on. It is going in the shop in two days and hopefully can be fixed, hopefully no charge. The turn signal issue is obviously a safety issue.

- Morton, IL, USA

Sep 292008

Five Hundred

I would like to see the investigation reopened for NHTSA action number : PE07058 and a recall by the Ford Motor Company due to the failure of the electrical system:instrument panel on the 2005 Ford Five hundred. While driving my 2005 Ford Five hundred the oil pressure light and brake light illuminated. At the same time this occurred the radio volume would decrease as if I was coming to a stop, the turn signals would fail (just the indication on the instrument cluster), and most importantly the reverse lights would illuminate. This would last from a few seconds to several minutes at a time. On the way to the dealership, I was pulled over by the police and given a verbal warning in regards to my reverse lights being illuminated while driving. The police assumed my brake lights were inoperative(blown bulb/broke lenses) as my reverse lights were illuminated causing an unsafe condition. The vehicle is at the Ford dealer now, the dealer did supply me with another car until mine was repaired as they deemed the car unsafe to drive in this condition. The dealer has ordered the entire instrument cluster for replacement. The dealer also stated that I will be looking at a $100-200 dollar deductible as this is not directly covered on the warranty. This needs to be addressed before an accident/death occurs as a result of this known existing problem.

- Cabot, AR, USA