2005 Ford Five Hundred engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Five Hundred:

2005 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jun 302015

Five Hundred

When coming to a complete stop with my foot on the brake, the car continues to jerk and drive. It also does it while reversing which in both cases has almost caused me to run into the car in front or behind me. It takes a while to pick up speed after stopping. It jerks while picking up speed. The passenger door inside handle does not close on its own. It rains in the car on the driver's side. The front driver's side panel keeps popping out of place.. the thing under the car that keeps you from hitting the curb, is falling apart.

- St Charles, MO, USA

Jul 142016

Five Hundred

I have been having trouble out of my car and did not know what it was. I could be driving and the accelerator wouldn't have an power. I noticed that the message in my dash read: Failed safe mode. I was in traffic when this happened and I had my children in the car and I afraid, we would be rear ended because though, the car was still on, I had no power to continue. I turned the car off and back on and it continued to go into fail safe mode, then I noticed there was a wrench tool, also in the message board. After being in the middle of the road for 20 minutes, the car finally crunk up, so I could move it out the road. As, I crunk the car, I didn't have my feet on the accelerator but I immediately had to put my feet in the break because they car was mounting as if I was pushing the gas. When I finally got ready to pull off barely touching the gas, it jerked off really fast, causing me to almost loose control of the vehicle. I was terrified! I got the car home and called my mechanic. He told me to bring to him the next morning. I get up the next morning to take it to the mechanic and it repeatedly went into fail safe mode, where I could not go anywhere. I finally got it to go after an hour and it did the same, as I was attempting to get it to the mechanic shop.the mechanic tested it and said, the throttle body needed to be replaced. I was also, told, that there was a recall on these same cars for the same problem as im experiencing. I did some research myself and there was a recall on these Ford 500 for throttle body. Im just not sure, what year they were recalled. The recall number is 12N03. I hope I have explained in full detail, as, im just thankful, that I, my family or others were injured, before I figured out how dangerous this car is!!

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Apr 122016

Five Hundred

The transmission disengages at various speeds even on the interstate at 55+ mph causing it to lose power. You must be able to get it stopped on the side of the road and shut the car off and then restart it to correct the problem for a short period of time.

- Weston, WV, USA

Jan 312011

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. When in the drive or reverse position, the vehicle accelerated independently without warning. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 216,551.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 172015

Five Hundred

While driving dash lights, speedometer, tachometer, gas level, and temperature go out for several minutes at a time. Reverse lights come on and airbag light comes on. This is dangerous; unable to tell speed! per internet research this is happening in several Ford models and stems from a bad solder joint.

- Taneytown, MD, USA

May 012015

Five Hundred

I was in heavy traffic and the car just stalled out on me while sitting at a light. Had to put my hazards on and try to restart car, restarted and then as soon as I put it into drive it stalled again. This happened 3-4 times until I could move to the next light and stop and go through the whole process all over again. Finally got on the highway and got home. Thought it was a fluke. Happened a second time while picking up children from daycare. Stalled out while at low RPM and would not restart. Had to have it towed. Had fuel filter replaced. Happened a third time at the store. Had to have it towed. Towed it to the dealer and the dealer spent over 6 hours to come to the conclusion that throttle body needed to be cleaned and PCM reprogrammed/updated. Without much confidence, they returned the car to me and said they could not replicate the problem. Drove it for a day and then had the same problem in traffic when at low RPM, with children in car at intersection car stalled out! finally got it started by holding brake and pushing on accelerator while putting it into drive so that it would not stall out. Drove it home and have not taken it out since. Expect the throttle body needs to be replaced but don't want to spend any more money on "diagnostics" when Ford knows this is a problem part and they need to stand behind it!!!!! they have put my family at risk more than once and they need to fix this problem before someone gets hurt.

- Fairfield, VT, USA

Feb 092015

Five Hundred 6-cyl

One day driving my Ford Five hundred as I am gettin on the freeway the car didnt accelerate effectively activating RPM surges but the car wouldn't speed more than 30mph doing so taking long nearly causing a accident in addition to slowing flow of traffic after finally getting home and parked the next day the car didn't start it would crank but wouldn't start I had a mechanic come look at the car everything was in order the PCM would also click when trying to start after doing research I discovered NHTSA had a recall for Ford Five hundreds 12N03 and in the summary it included throttle and PCM reprogramming and cleaning or replacing the throttle body. Therefore I brought the car to a Ford dealership and they confirmed theses being the cars issues however Ford dealership said that my PCM needed to be replaced not reprogrammed which is not covered under 12N03 protection program.

- New York, NY, USA

Jul 232014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

My car has engine read code P2107 and P2110 on three occasions now and when I go to start my car in the morning its a little wrench up and my car doesn't accelerate past 20 it happened once with my family in the car and we had to pull over on the expressway.

- Canton, OH, USA

Apr 012013

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while stopped at a stop light, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle accelerate instead. The vehicle was shifted into neutral in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was repaired under a manufacturer recall for the computer module but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jan 012013

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. While driving various speeds, the vehicle suddenly accelerated independently and there was a sudden increase of engine rpms. In addition, the vehicle would suddenly stall and the fail safe engine sensor indicator illuminated on several occasions. The dealer cleaned the throttle body to remedy the failure, but the failure recurred approximately one year later. The manufacturer was notified of the failures, but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Tavares, FL, USA

Aug 272014

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while making a left turn, the vehicle decelerated and the wrench warning light illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasion. Also, the contact stated that the vehicle would continuously shake. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the throttle failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- Mission , TX, USA

Aug 222014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Throttle/accelerator the car unexpectedly accelerates without pushing the pedal. I have almost hit vehicles and pedestrians. It appears to be getting worse and more dangerous.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 212014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I was driving in town going about 40 mph when the car lost all power, then engine failsafe mode displayed on the information center and a little wrench was also displayed. With no power steering, I had to pull over quickly in lunchtime traffic. After stopping the car, I waited a few seconds and restarted it. No problems with it until the next day when the check engine light came on. I have also noticed a mechanical smell coming from the ac. It appeared, at first, that this problem had come out of nowhere when I suddenly remembered two occasions when the rpms suddenly stuck on 3000 and would not stop until I put the car in neutral. Also, when using cruise control, the whole car shakes and stutters slightly when going up or down very slight inclines.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jun 022014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate, the vehicle jerked which caused the engine mounts to fracture. The contact also indicated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly decelerate. After turning the vehicle off and restarting, the vehicle would operate normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced and the power control module and the transmission control module needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure had recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000. Updated 09/03/14 updated 09/25/2014

- Dalton, GA, USA

May 042014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I just purchased a 05 Ford Five hundred and was on my way from California to Georgia. As I was driving I noticed that when it would shift it would rev up even while slowing down. I also noticed that if the ac was on it got worse. I started doing research on this problem and found that I was not the only one having this problem. I have 4 children, I'm disabled and on a very fixed income and buying a vehicle that is safe is a must. Unfortunately, due to this problem, it is not safe I asked them what it was going to take for them to issue a recall, injury or even a death, and his response was that it was not up to them but up to the nhts. I have done a lot of research on this problem and there are many more people with these vehicles that have the same problem. I don't think the consumers should be liable to fix a defective part. Even a mechanic at a Ford dealership said that he doesn't know why they just don't replace it instead. Please help fix this problem before someone has to pay not with money but with there life! if I had the money I would replace it and have the ECM updated but that is not an option for me due to my finances. Please put out a recall on the throttle body and make the updates on the system free. Haven't we paid enough for our vehicles? these are things that are not due to negligence but defectiveness of a part. The company that made the throttle body is no longer in business so that should tell you something. And the updates shouldn't cost if it makes the vehicle run like it should. I believe if all owners of these vehicles come together we can actually fix this deadly problem. Why should someone have to pay with their life just for somebody to become aware of this deadly, defective part. So please help! they say the recalls come from you, so issue a recall and include the ECM update that goes with it. Thank you, concerned owner with children

- Jackson, GA, USA

Apr 052014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

When stopped at red light, car shook a couple times then check engine light immediately came on. When red light turned green, took foot off of brake and pressed gas pedal and was unable to drive, but car was still on. Throttle body control system failed and needs replacement.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 052013

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Approximately two months after service performed under NHTSA campaign PE11018 the vehicle began to accelerate irregularly and then it placed itself into "fail safe" mode and illuminated the check engine light. Vehicle was returned to the Ford dealer that performed the service and they determined that the electric throttle control was at fault but was not associated with the service they performed on the same component just weeks earlier. Dealer contacted Ford Motor Co and they also claimed the two were not related regardless of the similar claims found online.

- Whately, MA, USA

Oct 012013

Five Hundred 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford five-hundred. The contact stated that the vehicle was service under a manufacturer's recall where the throttle body was cleaned and the PCM was reprogrammed. After the recall service was performed, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician replaced the throttle body. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,903. The current mileage was 100,797. Updated 12/24/13

- Stittville, NY, USA

Oct 162013

Five Hundred

When I started it up and tried to take off it stalled out and the wrench light came on.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 312013

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Driving at 30 mph on secondary street when vehicle lost power and service engine light came on. Coasted to side of road tried to push accelerator to raise RPM. RPM remained at 1000 and not enough power to pull back on the road. I turned vehicle off and started the engine back up when power was restored and service engine light went off.

- Springdale, AR, USA