1.4

2005 Ford Five Hundred fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Five Hundred:

2005 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments

Jul 072016

Five Hundred

I will never buy another Ford vehicle ever again!!!!!! I own a 2005 Ford Five hundred there was a recall in 2012 on the throttle body, a Ford dealer supposably cleaned the throttle body, well now its not driveable. We have since talked to several Ford dealers including Ford Motor Company, they all said it was our responsibility to fix the problem. I do not think it should be my responsibility to pay for this since the part was recalled !!! the car could stall at anytime while driving putting myself and my family at risk, I don't think much of this automobile company for not standing behind there product, I will never recommend a Ford vehicle to friends, family or even my worst enemy never never again!!!!

- Covington, OH, USA

May 052016

Five Hundred

I dont feel safe driving my car I put 2000 dollars of work and still do not feel save.

- Chicopee, MA, USA

May 072016

Five Hundred

This car have a large amount of complaint of the lurching due to a sudden malfunctioning throttle body which cause irregularity in the speed and may cause crashes and might end to body injuries or fatality.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

May 012015

Five Hundred

I was in heavy traffic and the car just stalled out on me while sitting at a light. Had to put my hazards on and try to restart car, restarted and then as soon as I put it into drive it stalled again. This happened 3-4 times until I could move to the next light and stop and go through the whole process all over again. Finally got on the highway and got home. Thought it was a fluke. Happened a second time while picking up children from daycare. Stalled out while at low RPM and would not restart. Had to have it towed. Had fuel filter replaced. Happened a third time at the store. Had to have it towed. Towed it to the dealer and the dealer spent over 6 hours to come to the conclusion that throttle body needed to be cleaned and PCM reprogrammed/updated. Without much confidence, they returned the car to me and said they could not replicate the problem. Drove it for a day and then had the same problem in traffic when at low RPM, with children in car at intersection car stalled out! finally got it started by holding brake and pushing on accelerator while putting it into drive so that it would not stall out. Drove it home and have not taken it out since. Expect the throttle body needs to be replaced but don't want to spend any more money on "diagnostics" when Ford knows this is a problem part and they need to stand behind it!!!!! they have put my family at risk more than once and they need to fix this problem before someone gets hurt.

- Fairfield, VT, USA

Sep 152014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I purchased new in 2005 a Ford Five hundred limited from a dealership. I have driven it and have been more than satisfied with it. I have had to do some work to it that according to the dealerships are common problems such as sway bar ends and a cv joint.especially living in the northeast. The reason I'm filing this safety complaint is due to the throttle body on this model vehicle. Approx a month or two ago as while driving, my car engine would rev up slightly and momentarily. Shortly after that started the vehicle (6 speed automatic) would not shift properly. I would only shift up if I would let off the gas peddle, shortly after that, the check engine light came on and then shortly after that while driving at any given speed it would go into "fail safe" check engine mode. I brought it to a mechanic and they found codes that had to do with the vehicle fuel system running "rich" but could not tell me what it was exactly. I then started reading about my vehicle and similar problems and found that many owners have complained about the same problem and found that it was a throttle body problem that Ford new about on several models (including Mercury) Ford did not do a recall on this problem but rather sent a letter to owners ( I never received) saying that they would clean the throttle body and reset the control computer. The letter came out in 2012. The letter said that the problem would be covered free on vehicles that had less than 150,000 and under ten years. I do not qualify for the mileage. I have had the dealership clean the plates of the throttle body as the letter said and paid for it but the problem persist and in fact is worse. I called Ford customer service that said that there was nothing they do other than go to another Ford dealership to see if they could help. A car stalling while in in traffic is very dangerous and Ford should take responsibility.

- Eliot, ME, USA

Jul 232014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

My car has engine read code P2107 and P2110 on three occasions now and when I go to start my car in the morning its a little wrench up and my car doesn't accelerate past 20 it happened once with my family in the car and we had to pull over on the expressway.

- Canton, OH, USA

Oct 162013

Five Hundred

When I started it up and tried to take off it stalled out and the wrench light came on.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 132013

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I was driving at 55 mph when the car spuutered and lost all power. At that point the car would only idle which barely allowed me to pull off the road into a driveway. I turned it off and restarted. The car ran fine for a few miles then, while turning off a main road the car lost all power and almost caused an accident. I turned it off and on again and was able to get it home. When I got home I checked it for codes and it brought up a P212 and P2104 code. I had the car towed to tracy Ford where they replaced the throttle body at $690+/- plus labor.

- Springfield, TN, USA

Oct 222012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

In August 2010, I had the continuously variable transmission replaced at ~98,000 miles. Luckily, it was under warranty. Now in October 2012, the second transmission as the service member said at the Ford dealership "the transmission exploded, we're not even sure how you were able to drive this vehicle. This was at ~146,000 miles, but there is only ~48,000 miles on the transmission itself. Two transmissions have failed in this vehicle. Searching the internet I have come across several instances of the Ford Five hundreds continuously variable transmission failing. I called the Ford care line to report it, but they claim they are unaware of any issues. My concern is this third transmission will also fail at some point.

- Perryopolis, PA, USA

Oct 132012

Five Hundred

My car surges. It is mostly at idle speed. It's dangerous. I was at a drive through and a janitor was sweeping. My car surged and I literally stood on the breaks to prevent running over him. At the drive through it surged forward and I had to stand on the breaks to prevent it from ramming into the car ahead. It occurs more when air conditioning is running but will occur without ac on. I the local dealer replaced the throttle body recently but it still surges. It occurs when pulling to a stop at the lights or at the drive through as you slowly move forward. It happens when pulling into a parking spot or when backing up. I've seen news about the problem with the Ford escape. My Ford 500 is also affected and weighs a whole lot more. If this thing surges forward it could do some serious damage.

- Magnolia, IL, USA

Apr 072007

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Rough acceleration from stop for years. After 218,000 miles engine shuts off reporting engine fail-safe mode. Will restart after sitting on side of road for couple, 5-minutes. Dealer states bad throttle body - $900 repair. Apparently a common problem.

- Fernandina Beach, FL, USA

Jun 022012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

My Ford Five hundred has been unexpectedly surging when releasing the brake pedal when going forward and reverse. It has almost caused me to hit other vehicles in a parking lot on several occasions and makes it extremely difficult to control the speed of the vehicle when starting to accelerate. Something needs to be done about this issue. I am not the only person who is experiencing this. There are many more people who have posted the same issue on blogs and websites I have read. Please look into this issue.

- Trenton, MO, USA

Sep 012012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Out side air temp was approx 96 degrees so ac was on. While shifting into reverse the vehicle lunged so hard it was uncontrollable, and unstoppable, if some one had stepped out behind me they would have died as I could only stop reward movement by shifting into drive. This occurred three times trying to get out of a parking space at a crowded mall.the vehicle then stalled. The lunging was so fast the brakes could hardly hold the car from moving in reverse. In checking there is a service bulletin tsb-05-25-13 from Ford Motor Company on this very issue but no recall, also many incidents/accidents recorded in this regard. If I was not prepared enough during this incident in a crowded parking lot some one would have died, this must be addressed B-4 someone is run over. Currently Ford has no comment. Please contact me for further details.

- Markleeville, CA, USA

Jun 052012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

When back up the car accelerates like you are on the gas but the gas pedal is not touch. When the car comes to a stop and the foot is on the brake, once you take the foot off the brake the car accelerates without warning. This has happen if stop at a light, backing out or even while in park the car will just accelerate without warning! my daughter almost hit a couple of people walking in the cross walk and all she did was release the brake to move up after a car turn and accelerated without warning. I have had the car accelerate after just being stop at a light or moving at slow speed without touching the gas, but it does not happen all the time. Last oil change at Ford dealership there was nothing wrong with transmission fluid and there were no leaks......

- Mechanicsburg, IL, USA