2006 Ford Five Hundred engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Five Hundred:

2006 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 012016

Five Hundred

Throttle body is defective due to build up within the throttle body's valve causing it to stick open or stay closed during reverse and forward driving. This in return causes a surge where at any unsuspecting moment the vehicle wood attempt to drive either in reverse or forward on its own regardless you physically pressing the brakes or the gas pedal. This is an obvious problem wiz 2005 2006 and 2007 Ford 500 and some models other than the 500 such as Ford freestyle Ford montego. This is a very dangerous issue and if not already will cause bodily injury or death. In my particular incident my vehicle have surged on a bypass causing me to almost rear end a large truck at speeds up to 70 miles per hour. There had also been countless incidents of my vehicle reverting into safe mode where my car I had slowed from 70 to 75 miles per hour down to 20 miles per hour within seconds. Both incidents have happened stationary in motion on city streets on highways and while turning. I was told the throttle body's electrical components are faulty and I was to pay $1,000 for a replacement part and installation.

- Mohnton, PA, USA

Sep 092015

Five Hundred

I am very concerned about my safety and that of others. My Ford 500, especially when it is warm and I am using the A/C, will without warning surge ahead, and I must apply the brakes as hard as I can. I almost crashed while attempting to park in a handicapped spot in emergency parking area at the hospital, where I was taking my critically ill husband 2 weeks ago. I was braking, but the car was surging ahead. The same happened when I was leaving. Very frightening!! can this be fixed without charge at my local Ford dealer? (galpin)

- Lake Balboa, CA, USA

Feb 162015

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that the vehicle had an unexpected acceleration as the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact was unable to stop the vehicle or place it in reverse when the failure occurred. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. Additionally, the contact mentioned that the vehicle failed to accelerate out of first gear. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- Madison, NY, USA

Nov 192014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Engine shut off while driving. Fault code indicates throttle control problem, but car drives normally after restarting. When will it shut off again" is it safe to drive to the Ford dealer"

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Aug 252014

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. While driving approximately 40 mph, the contact detected a burning odor inside the vehicle. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road. The contact opened the hood and noticed that the top of the manifold ignited into flames and the motor mount was dry rotted. The contact managed to extinguish the fire with a personal fire extinguisher. An independent mechanic stated that the entire motor mount needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 302014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

This vehicle has had a surging and stalling issue ever since it was purchased. It would come and go throughout the years but got much worse recently. When stopped at a light for instance the idle speed becomes low and sometimes stalls. It will surge making slow turns and surge when put into drive. It will surge forward when turning into a parking spot and in many other instances. If you are in drive and put it into park the RPM will also surge as high as 2500. Since I have been reading up on the issue I noticed that there was a letter sent out to owners of my model which I did not receive. The problem was supposed to be addressed for free per R12N03. Of course the coverage ended on 03/31/2013. I did not receive this notice and should still be able to get this repair done for free. It should be a recall.

- Locust Grove, VA, USA

Mar 042013

Five Hundred 6-cyl

My car makes harsh jerking motion while I am driving. The motion occurs intermittently so I am unable to predict when it will occur. However, it does happen while the car is in an motion and upon acceleration. After first experiencing the problem. The motor mount of the vehicle was repaired. This seemed to remedy the problem for about two weeks, then the problem persisted. Not as harsh as previously but nonetheless, the ride feels unsafe and the issue happens erratically. This problem has continued for over a year. During this time I have researched online to find that this is a common issue and complaint among consumers. Why has this vehicle not been recalled? this is a pressing issue for me as it is not a secure feeling to lose control of your vehicle momentarily. I also have to consider the safety of my unborn child. The Ford Five hundred vehicles with major mechanical malfunctions need to be recalled and taken off the market, not simply "fixed." After a fire or major accident has taken place, it is evident that "fixing" the cars is not the best solution.

- Willowbrook, IL, USA

Apr 052010

Five Hundred 6-cyl

From the day I bought the car the A/C has not worked properly. It only cools at highway speeds or when temperature outside is less than 70 degrees, the engine has never idled smoothly and water collects in the doors. The main issue I've been having is that it surges at stop lights and totally shuts down going down the road. Motor, gauges everything shuts down sometimes for 8-10 seconds. This is sporadic and more common when the A/C is in use. I have had the throttle body cleaned and reprogrammed several times with no change what so ever. I just had a new one installed and it shut down on me within 1 mile of dealership. It has been very frustrating to say the least. I've been saying it is something with the A/C since day one but all they wanted to do is replace the throttle body. I am at my wits end and just want it fixed!

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 152014

Five Hundred

While driving down street after a cold start, car started to drive slow, made a noise from left side of engine compartment, and wrench lite came on along with the engine lite. I scanned for the obdii code and it presented code P0942. I erased the code to see what would happen. Left it alone until the next day. Now, when started, there is a faulty bearing noise which is present until transmission is engaged in either reverse or drive. I would pull car forward ten feet and back in reverse to park. When I do this, noise goes away. After doing this five (5) days in a row, I drive car around a city block. I could only hear noise faintly. No wrench lite or engine lite came back during this small drive. I have not driven car since research of code P0942 pointed to the transmission. I only start car now because of the cold Wisconsin weather. My concern now is if there is a recall for this cvt transmission?

- Milwaukee, , WI, USA

Aug 012013

Five Hundred 6-cyl

During normal driving vehicle dash lights went completely out and then began to flicker while both gauges speedo and tach went left to right on and off repeatedly causing a loss of power on vehicle rendering vehicle unsafe to drive and almost causing collision.. brought to Ford dealer replaced alternator and problem still exists after 500 dollar expense.

- Bound Brook, NJ, USA

Sep 042013

Five Hundred 6-cyl

At times when placing car into reverse or drive it will lurch forward. When going up any hill and the 6 speed transmission needs to down shift, it seems that it pops into neutral and then pops into lower gear causing the car to jerk very hard.. the jerking can be so hard that I am scared that its going to break the motor mounts or the drive axles. This happens every time I am going up a hill or trying to pass someone on the interstate on flat land. Had to replace the low beam headlight sockets due to them overheating and melting the socket and causing the bulbs to stop working. The driver side window, when trying to bring it up it will stop and go back down. Sometimes it will do it a couple times before I can get the window all the way up. This is my first Ford I have ever owned and I am love with the car but not with the problems I am having with the car. Also, when the car hit 100,000 miles it started to burn 1 quart of oil between oil changes. I cannot find any leaks. I have see a lot of people having the same issues I am having with the lurching and jerking of the transmission. Wish Ford would do a real call for these problems because I just love this car!

- Asheville, NC, USA

Feb 022013

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Vehicle surges for no particular reason and shows. A check engine light on (wrench). Control of acceleration is mixed and vehicle either lurches or feels as though transmission is in neutral and RPM's increase without acceleration by driver. Have a scheduled service call with Ford and have been issued a notice from Ford that this issue will be covered.

- Mogadore, OH, USA

Aug 022012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

The car lunges forward or backwards when shifting gears also lunges when coming to a stop very violently. I drive with plenty of space in font of me so I haven't hit anything I'm surprised no one else has either.

- Laudehill, FL, USA

Feb 222012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

While driving the car RPM gauge was moving upward even though I was still at steady speed. When I slowed and stopped it appeared to continue to lunge forward. I was able to control since I had some distance from the vehicle in front of me. By the time I reached my destination I was afraid that it had a mind of its own. It settled when I tried to park for it then cut off. There have been numerous events when the car lunged forward or cut off while driving and even when I put the car in reverse. I had three (3) motor mounts replaced and new battery along with the safety sensor. It costs more to repair than general maintenance. I see why they stopped making this car. Its dangerous! I am now in the process of getting the throttle body replaced which may not be under warranty. This car should be recalled or we should be compensated for repairs related to this problem.

- Mckeesport , PA, USA

Jul 312012

Five Hundred

I have a 2006 Ford Five hundred. I purchased it used in Jan 2012. My car continually lurches forward while sitting still. The air conditioner will not cool while idling if it is hot outside. I have also had issues with losing all power while driving down the freeway. I will be driving and all gauges will bottom out and then rev up to the highest. My rpms will drop down, the gas gauge will go to empty and at night all electrical lights and dashboard notifications will light up and then go off. I cannot use the air conditioner, radio or anything else when this happens. This is very dangerous and I believe Ford should be held accountable for not fixing this issue sooner! someone is going to get into a fatal accident because of this issue!!! losing all power and speed and then having the vehicle lurch forward is dangerous! #scaredmomof3babies!

- Colton, CA, USA

Jun 162011

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Car accelerates suddenly without having foot on accelerator. It only happens in warm weather when the air conditioning is on. With my foot on the breaking when backing out of a parking space or pulling into garage the car suddenly accelerates. I can handle the problem because I know when to expect it, but I had planned to give this car to my soon to be licensed daughter and I don't want her having an accident or hitting another person.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Sep 012011

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I would be stopped at a stop sign or red light and would push on the throttle to accelerate. The guy would not move at first then would "jump" and accelerate quickly. I never hit anyone because I was careful, but I took it into a Ford dealership to have them diagnose it. They claimed to know of the problem but would not cover it under warranty. I paid over $1,000 to have them replace my "throttle body."

- Valrico, FL, USA

Sep 012011

Five Hundred

The car had begun surging hard both in reverse and forward. It happens when stopping and when first putting it in gear. I've been fortunate to have not hit anything yet, but I am fearful that it might happen. I'm seeing a lot of other people having the exact same problem in several forums and websites. I do not understand why a recall has not been issued for this problem as it is obviously a serious manufacturer's defect.

- Whitmire, SC, USA

May 152012

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Jul 042010

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Before July 2010 I began noticing that my engine would race up to 1500 RPM while idling. I would always keep my foot on the brake so the car would not lurch forward. Then on the 4th of July multiple engine errors appeared on the car computer. The Ford dealer diagnosed a throttle body malfunction. After replacement no problem until June 2012. Once again the engine is racing to 2000 RPM while idling at a stop. I am sure that this problem is ongoing with some Ford products and will some day or has caused an accident. It is not a constant RPM rate but the RPM goes from 700 to 2000.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA