2006 Ford Five Hundred engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Five Hundred:

2006 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Oct 012010

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. While driving approximately 35 mph, the contact attempted to increase speed, but vehicle would not accelerate. The contact continued to apply pressure to the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technicians stated the egr valve, the throttle body and the mass flow air sensor needed to be replaced. The technician stated that he could not guarantee that the failure would not occur again after the repairs. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Texarkana, TX, USA

Nov 232010

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Starting since February 2010. My car lunges forward whenever at a dead stop. When shifting to drive and reverse. I have had to have my foot on brake and even almost had an accident while parking and hit the wall. Went to dealership and first they said it was my engine mount that was causing it. Then went again because the problem still occurred and they said I needed a new battery. Then they claimed it was my air filter which is a lie. I called the Ford headquarters and all they can do is take down when I called and what it was about. They are no help what so ever so what is the point of them even existing if they cant help solve the problem. They claim each dealer is independent and that they can advise that I go to a different dealership. I have wasted a good deal of time and money. Luckily I was smart and bought that premium extended warranty. I still have spent close to over $400 on repairs. Each time I went I had to pay a deductible of $100. The battery I went to sams club to get because the dealer wanted $140 but I got mine for $75. They advised to get my throttle body clean and that was $95. They said I need to have my transmission flushed which is another lie. I didn't get that done because I only have 60,000 miles on the vehicle. The transmission fluid was as red as can be and is still good for probably another 40,000 miles. The point is Ford knows about the problem and they do not want to fix the problem it apparently is happening to tons of folks out there. They need to just fix it because even though I had my throttle body cleaned the problem still comes back here and there. I just hope that no one gets killed and then Ford will finally get this right. I plan on seeing if I can get some legal help and will explore that avenue because I get my oil changes almost ever 3500 miles and I follow all the manufactures service policies. I do my part as a customer and they haven't done there part as the company that made the vehicle.

- Pittsburgh , PA, USA

Oct 252010

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred limited. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after multiple attempts. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop where the contact was informed that the throttle box was the cause for failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 82,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Morehead City, NC, USA

Sep 282010

Five Hundred

I own a 2006 Ford fivehundred. From the very beginning, my car has lunged/surged forward and backwards. I called Ford corporate office on three various occasions to file a complaint and ask for a repair. Each time I was told that Ford was not responsible for determining the problem. On Sept. 27, 2010, at a stop light, the car surged to 3000 RPM's and I was scared. I kept my foot on the brake, but I thought at that speed, the brake may fail. I was going to turn the car off, but instead, I turned the air conditioner off and the surging was reduced to 1000 RPM's. this is a very dangerous situation. What is Ford waiting for? the car needs to be recalled and repairs made, before a major accident and law suits ensue.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Apr 152010

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact was braking to a complete stop when the vehicle attempted to accelerate abnormally. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they advised that the throttle body was defective and would need replacing. The vehicle was left with the dealer where the contact was awaiting repairs. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 48,600.

- Griffin , GA, USA

Jun 012010

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. While driving approximately 30-35 mph the vehicle accelerated rapidly. He engaged the brakes immediately to stop the vehicle from accelerating. The failure occurred 7 to 8 times and the failure also happened while driving in reverse. He called the dealer and was advised that the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000 and the current mileage was 75,000.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Aug 102010

Five Hundred 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. While stopped at a light the contact noticed that the vehicle had suddenly accelerated without warning. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where the contact was informed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle has not been repaired and there were no prior warnings. The failure mileage was 78000 and the current mileage is 80000. Updated 12/22/10 updated 12/23/10

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jun 132010

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that the vehicle would abnormally stall or jerk violently when driving at various speeds. The contact also experienced abnormal surging, which would occur frequently. The dealer advised that the throttle body had gone into failsafe mode, causing the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was approximately 90,000 and the current mileage was approximately 96,000. Updated 12/7/10

- Brooklet, GA, USA

Aug 202010

Five Hundred

I have a 2006 Ford fivehundred, it has been lunging when put in gear and even sometimes just as you let your foot off the brake. This is very dangerous since I almost rear ended someone while waiting in line at the drive through. Last week it starting to act as if it wanted to stall. I took it to the Ford garage and they stated I will need the throttle body replaced and it will cost $770 to fix it and the part is on back order. After some research, I found that alot of people with this car are having this problem.

- Franklin, PA, USA

May 272010

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. While attempting to reverse out of a parking space with the brakes applied, the vehicle accelerated abnormally. The failure would occur intermittently while in reverse. The dealer diagnosed the failure at the throttle body assembly, which he advised was on back order. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 79,000 and the current mileage was 83,000. Updated 11/16/10.

- Clinton , NC, USA

Jul 012010

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. When the contact attempted to stop the vehicle it began to lunge forward. Extreme pressure was applied to the brake pedal in order to keep the vehicle from surging forward. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the motor mounts and throttle body needed to be replaced. An authorized dealer informed her that this was very common failure among her year, make and model vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 69,000 and the current mileage was 74,000. Updated 11/05/10.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 152010

Five Hundred 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while at a complete stop and having his foot on the brake pedal and then letting go the vehicle would surge. The contact had to force pressure on the brakes in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer to have it diagnosed and they stated that the body throttle control needed to be replaced. There have been no repairs due to the back order on the part. The failure mileage was 37200 and the current mileage was 37419. Updated 10/25/10 updated 10/27/10

- Florence, SC, USA

Jul 172010

Five Hundred

On July 17, 2010, my 2006 Ford 500 began to lurch/surge forward/ backward depending on whether I was in drive or reverse. Took the car to Ford immediately. They reprogrammed the PCM. It was not covered by the extended warranty. Yesterday, August 6, 2010, my car began doing the same thing. Took car back to same dealer. They suggested it might be the throttle body. Research showing this is a common problem with this vehicle (and has been for some time).

- Maitland, FL, USA

Jul 022010

Five Hundred

After having been driven for 30-45 min, the car was parked with motor running for 5-10 min. Got back in car, put foot on break pedal, shifted car into reverse, lifted foot off break pedal and car suddenly lurched backwards. Slammed breaks on and car shut off. Car had no problem cranking right up. Did the same thing again, only this time I had it in drive. Hit the breaks, car dies again. This has happened a few times while sitting in line at a fast food drive-thru and have almost hit cars infront of me when I go to move up in the line. If you turn the car all the way off, it will reset and not have any problems until the next time it decides to do it again. I seem to be able to elicit the problem by driving the car for 30 or so minutes, stopping and letting the car sit and idle for 5-10 minutes. Bingo- it happens. Ford dealership says it is the throttle body on my 2006 Ford Five hundred and I actually had it replaced in 2007 at approx 23,000 miles (I now have 69,500 miles). Car is AWD. Thank god I have an extended warranty until 75,000 miles that will cover this but it seems the part to fix it is on backorder and they are not sure when it will be available (that is ridiculous considering how much I have read about "throttle body issues" with this car.) I think it should be a recall issue since you could easily hit something infront or behind you. Thanks for letting me inform you of this problem.

- Madison, NC, USA

Jul 162010

Five Hundred 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact was driving at 45 mph. The contact depressed the brake pedal and when released, the vehicle began to abnormally accelerate. In addition, the vehicle would abnormally jerk when attempting to park. The dealer advised that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 44,000. The consumer stated the transmission would bang into drive and reverse. The dealer found the throttle body causing the issue, which was replaced. Updated 10/26/10

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 272010

Five Hundred

Many months ago my 2006 Ford Five hundred began jerking forward (accelerating) when switching gears from reverse to drive. Over the months the problem has gotten worse and accelerates very quickly when going into drive gear. It accelerates so quickly it could easily cause me to run into something. Took to Ford service station and told the throttle (throttle body maybe?) needed to be replaced and that it was unsafe to drive until fixed. The part is on back order for two months! the part is $800. Now I'm paying for a car that I can't even drive for two months. Many people have complained online about the same type of problem and apparently there is a big problem with it if the part is on backorder for 2 months since so many people have ordered it.

- Royse City, TX, USA

Jul 062010

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that the vehicle surged forward while his foot was on the brake pedal. The rpms also increased and caused the vehicle to lunge forward. When the vehicle began to slow down the rpms increased and caused the vehicle to stall. The dealer stated that the failure was caused by the throttle body. The dealer also stated that at this time Ford does not have the part to repair the vehicle. The contact did not have the VIN when the complaint was filed. The failure mileage and current mileages were 74000.

- Doylestown, PA, USA

Mar 182009

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while shifting into reverse or drive, the engine would rev and move backward at a quick rate. Also when idling in traffic, if the contact turned the steering wheel left or right, the engine would also rev and she would have to depress the brake pedal with great force to keep the vehicle from hitting another one. The vehicle stalled several times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership where the contact was informed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was approximately 62,000. The current mileage was approximately 99,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 012008

Five Hundred 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The throttle body does not operate normally when driving at 30 mph. The vehicle will drag and when the accelerator pedal is depressed there is no acceleration. At 15 mph a warning light will illuminate before the vehicle reduces speed. The check engine light stays on all the time. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice and they stated they have check and rechecked and are unable to remedy the failure. The vehicle was also taken to two another dealer and the contact was told that it is the throttle body and it will cost $1000 for repairs. The Ford manufacturer was not called in regards to this failure. The failure mileage was 68,000 the current mileage is 88,000. Updated 4/23/10 the consumer stated the acceleration problems were not corrected by changing the throttle. Updated 05/28/10.

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Nov 152009

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. While driving approximately between 45-50 mph he applied pressure to the accelerator pedal, but the vehicle would not accelerate. Then the vehicle began to rapidly accelerate. The failure occurred frequently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The failure was related to the throttle body. The technician stated the part was unavailable until January 22,2010. The failure mileage was 45,800. The current mileage was 46,200.

- South Rockwood , MI, USA