2006 Ford Five Hundred engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Five Hundred:

2006 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

May 012016

Five Hundred

I purchased my car 7/31/2012 with 113,000 miles. I received notification of a recall for the RPM surge in 2013. Concerned, I took my car to the dealership and was told since I didn't have any problems and hadn't reached the 150,000 mile limit, then I didnt need to worry about repairs for the time being. I then asked what would happen if I surpassed the mile limit and the problem surfaced. The mechanic informed me that as long as a recall ever existed, then Ford would always be responsible for the repairs. Not satisfied with that response, (because there would not be a 10 yr /150,000 limit in the letter) I questioned the manager who confirmed the tech's answer. In 2014 I relocated to lancaster ca. I too have had numerous dangerous close calls with the sudden acceleration while breaking; one being in a school parking lot in high temperatures. I took my car to the dealership 5/2016 and just as expected, they wont repair my car without cost. This is wrong and very dangerous and hopefully you guys will decide to do something about this for the many people still experiencing problems.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Nov 192014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Engine shut off while driving. Fault code indicates throttle control problem, but car drives normally after restarting. When will it shut off again" is it safe to drive to the Ford dealer"

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Jul 252014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

When I first start my car its slow to give power, often when I drive it on the street it'll just lose complete power and die down. Then I have to restart itfor it to temporarily go away then it happens again.

- Cacmpbell, CA, USA

May 072010

Five Hundred 6-cyl

2010 driving on highway in Virginia, car was accelerating on it's own, it was like the car was in control and not the driver. Pulled over and car stalled, engine light came on. Took car to Ford dealer was told throttle control assembly. 52,200 miles had it replaced. Contacted Ford Oct 2010. November 2012 Ford issue customer satisfaction program, finally reimbursed 2013. July 2014, 100,457miles same problem again had to again replace throttle control system.

- Monroe Township, NJ, USA

May 212014

Five Hundred

Vehicle was stalling out finally quit, had it towed to a Ford dealer, was advise that the throttlebody had shorted out. They say it is not covered under the warranty. The engine was replace by the Ford dealership due to a manufacture defect 6 years ago. The vehicle has less that 50,000 miles on. What estimate cost of repairing is $970. We have an extended warranty coverage. But I think for should fix it without charge.

- Eagle Lake, FL, USA

Mar 042013

Five Hundred 6-cyl

My car makes harsh jerking motion while I am driving. The motion occurs intermittently so I am unable to predict when it will occur. However, it does happen while the car is in an motion and upon acceleration. After first experiencing the problem. The motor mount of the vehicle was repaired. This seemed to remedy the problem for about two weeks, then the problem persisted. Not as harsh as previously but nonetheless, the ride feels unsafe and the issue happens erratically. This problem has continued for over a year. During this time I have researched online to find that this is a common issue and complaint among consumers. Why has this vehicle not been recalled? this is a pressing issue for me as it is not a secure feeling to lose control of your vehicle momentarily. I also have to consider the safety of my unborn child. The Ford Five hundred vehicles with major mechanical malfunctions need to be recalled and taken off the market, not simply "fixed." After a fire or major accident has taken place, it is evident that "fixing" the cars is not the best solution.

- Willowbrook, IL, USA

Mar 302014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I was traveling North toward ann street in montgomery when all of a sudden my car came to an abrupt stop in the middle of speeding traffic and my kids and I were in the middle of the highway stranded to get out of the car was the hardest part now I had to get some help when I did the man that pulled my car to his shop told me it was my throttle control sensor my wwwwwhhhhaaat and I only had the car for a year and a half R U serious I had to replace the motor after a year of havin the car which cost me 1400ars and now a throttle control sensor and it cost $746 with tax and 150 for the labor man I screaming need another car but not Ford they lied they R not built Ford tough uuuuugggghhhhh.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Mar 192014

Five Hundred 6-cyl

My wife was going to work and the accelerator stuck. She got the car slowed down and off the state highway. She called me crying and very shook up that morning and for a couple of days. She could have been in a serious accident or even killed. I called the Ford dealer and they went and got the car. After checking out the problem, they said the throttle body would have to be replaced at a price of $676 plus labor. They called Ford Motor Co for financial help and they said there is no recall and they cannot help. I did not think this is right. I know they know they have a problem, but won't acknowledge it. My wife could have been killed or seriously injured. We need some financial help.

- Watkins Glrn, NY, USA

Nov 232013

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph with the cruise control activated the safe mode engaged without warning and decelerated. The engine and transmission light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated the throttle body had to be replaced. There was a manufacturers recall for the throttle body. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated the recall was for the cleaning of the throttle body only and not the replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000.

- Brandenburg, KY, USA

Dec 092013

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while accelerating, the vehicle stalled as the service engine warning light illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test and the dealer stated that the throttle body sensor needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the throttle body censor replaced. The contact called the manufacturer and filed a complaint. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Jul 012013

Five Hundred 6-cyl

When you shift from drive to reverse or reverse to drive, the vehicle lunges. And does it several times. Ford is aware but with only half fix the throttle problem, by cleaning it not replacing it. I spoke to a couple dealers and they both said the same thing, "that will only clean the affected part and that 65 per cent end up coming back and the customer ends up paying to $800 to $900 to replace the part. That Ford will not replace the part even though it is a recall part". no crash yet. Have to be sure to keep foot on brake and keep plenty of distance from other vehicles / objects. Updated 09/19/13

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 192013

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that after shifting into drive, the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle was previously repaired under a manufacturer's recall for the issue. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 60,733.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Sep 132006

Five Hundred

Unintended acceleration from stop when brake released. From Sept 2006 until present. Approx $3000 each time. Hit garage wall. (approx 5 collisions with wall) still does it. Finally found out when & why.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Jun 072012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Two problems: 1. car surges sporadically (I.e. when pulling into parking space with foot on brake, car surges as if pressing the accelerator). 2. while driving all lights on dash go out, speedometer and tachometer go to zero. I had the throttle body replaced once (several months later, Ford reimbursed me for the cost under customer satisfaction program 12N03. This solved the problem for several months. The problem is now re-occurring. Ford has indicated that they will not repair the car again. This seems to be a safety issue.

- Perry, GA, USA

Jul 212013

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while in reverse, the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Wakefield, MA, USA

Jan 012008

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that the vehicle suddenly accelerated while in drive. The contact also stated that the failure occurred while in reverse. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times where the throttle body was replaced twice; however, the failure was not corrected. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000 and the current mileage was 70,000.

- West Miami, FL, USA

Dec 212012

Five Hundred

2006 Ford Five hundred. Consumer writes in regards to engine idle RPM surges and unsatisfactory service at dealership. The consumer stated the surging happened intermittently. The dealer was unable to perform any repairs, as the vehicle did not exhibit the problem while the vehicle was in their possession. Updated 02/22/13. Updated 03/14/13.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Aug 142012

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 15 mph the vehicle began to stall and powered off. The vehicle was restarted and began to accelerate. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for a diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated the throttle needed to be replaced.the manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 120,000. The VIN number was not available.

- Avenal, CA, USA

Jul 122012

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that as she shifted into drive, the vehicle lunged forward abnormally. The failure recurred three additional times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The dealer was notified and stated that the throttle body unit may have needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 121,000.

- Arp, TX, USA

Oct 232012

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph the electronic throttle body failed and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the contacts home. A dealer was notified and stated it was a known issue but there was no recall at that time. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance and referred him to NHTSA to file a complaint. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 76,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA