2007 Ford Five Hundred engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Five Hundred:

2007 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jun 062011

Five Hundred 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Ford 500 that started surging forward and backward. I took the car and my extended warranty to a Ford dealership only to learn that the dealer that I bought the car from had back-dated my warranty to the time the car was put in service. (I had purchased the car as a "program" car.) my warranty had run out according to them 6 days before I took it to the dealership. I wrote a letter to Ford and they refused to honor it even though I thought I had purchased a 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty. The car is still surging forward and backward and Ford refuses to do anything. I will never purchase another Ford product. I have owned Lincoln and Ford all of my life and I will never get another one. I cannot believe Ford refuses to take care of their customers. This is obviously a safety hazard that Ford needs to repair. Seeing all of the complaints that people have sent in, Ford knows that they are in the wrong and still they do nothing.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 182011

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated when starting the vehicle and shifting in reverse, the vehicle would accelerate uncontrollably if the brakes were not depressed. The dealer was notified regarding the failure and stated that the throttle body was defective. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Hillsborough, NC, USA

Jun 012011

Five Hundred 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds, the vehicle would suddenly accelerate without warning. The dealer advised the contact that the throttle body was not working properly and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer had not been notified and the vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000 and the current mileage was 44,000. Problem got worse include acceleration in reverse as well as forward. Replaced throttle body and accelerator module problem solved. Updated 11/16/2011

- Fort Smith, AR, USA

Aug 012011

Five Hundred

2007 Ford Five hundred. Consumer states power train surge the dealer informed the consumer there was no factory defect with the vehicle.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 082009

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that the vehicle would lunge forward while in drive and backward while in reverse, whether a foot was on or off the brake pedal. The dealer was notified, but denied any assistance with repairs to the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 48,700 and the current mileage was 53,000.

- Dumas, TX, USA

Aug 022011

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that while driving, the vehicle would lunge forward and respond slowly when the accelerator was depressed. In addition, the vehicle would stall at any time without warning. The dealer diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 93,000.

- Ft. Wayne, IN, USA

Jul 192011

Five Hundred

The vehicle lunges forward on its own power. The gas pedal is not pressed and it is not obstructed by any foreign or manufactured object. This has resulted in many near crashes.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

May 102011

Five Hundred

2007 Ford Five hundred "bucks forward or reverse when shifting gears!.we have almost hit people, other cars, and have lunged into traffic at stop lights.this is a hazard and Ford needs to do something asap!!!!!!..I am taking it in to the dealership today in hopes of getting this fixed as we have 3 small children and I would hate to be in an enormous accident!!!!!!!

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Oct 022010

Five Hundred

My husband and I purchased a 2007 Ford Five hundred last September. I am reluctant to call the dealer about the problem we are having with the Five hundred, because we are not on good terms. The reason for that is they think we traded our 2000 Mitsubishi in with a bad transmission. That is not true. We never had any tranny problems with our car, and we did not want to trade it in, but because we didn't have a down payment, they said we had to trade it in. It was not our idea to trade the car in, and we knew nothing about the tranny being bad. They took an attitude with us after that happened, and a couple of minor things that needed fixing on the Ford Five hundred, they would not fix. Now we are driving in a dangerous vehicle, and from what I found out, there was complaints made in October of last year about the throttle, and we were never notified. We just started having problems with the car lunging forward, and backwards, and accelerating on its own. We almost had two accidents because of the car surging like this. The car is dangerous, and we have pulled up many complaints about these cars, and people complaining to their dealers, and they had to know about it. They say last October was when complaints were made and dealers were notified, but they never let us know, and the car would have been under warranty then. We should have been notified that there was a problem. Please let me know what you can do. Here is a copy of just one of the complaints I found below.

- Franklin, NC, USA

Jun 132009

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Five hundred. The contact was driving 5 mph as the vehicle began to lunge forward abnormally. The contact stated that the failure would also occur while in reverse or when attempting to park the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and the dealer replaced the throttle body. The failure recurred within two years. The contact was concerned with the possibility of a crash occurring as a result of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,000.

- Saratoga Springs, UT, USA

Mar 012011

Five Hundred

When backing out of a parking space, car will lunge back a few feet. Just last week, I was backing out of a parking space at a store and it lunged five times before I took it out of reverse and put it into drive. It lunged again forward and then I was able to drive it home. If my foot is not on the brake, the car will continue to lunge unless it is stopped either by braking or hitting something. When in a drive-thru, with foot on the brake, when I release the brake the car will lunge forward. After researching the problem, people have stated it is a problem with the throttle and it could cost $500 + dollars to repair. It is a factory mistake that Ford is not taking responsibility for. I was advised to file a complaint with NHTSA just in case an accident occurs because of this problem. We are taking the car in to see if we can afford the repair on our own next week. If it is the throttle and does cost as much as others have claimed, we will not be able to afford the repair.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 102008

Five Hundred

Purchased a new Ford Five hundred in 2007. Have kept up with all regular maintenance. After putting about 20,000 miles on the vehicle, I started having a problem with sudden acceleration. I would come to a stop at an intersection, mailbox, or drive-thru and let my foot off the brakes and the car would "jump" -- accelerate on its own. My foot would not even be on the gas pedal. I took it to the Ford dealership and was told that the transmission had to be "reprogrammed". I specifically asked could it be a problem with fuel system and was told no. I had the work completed but the problem persists to this day. I have had several near misses with rear end collisions. Finally as I was entering a parking space, the car accelerated on its own and hit a post in front of the parking space.

- Hartsville, SC, USA

Jun 162011

Five Hundred 6-cyl

Car lunges and surges when coming to a stop and idles erratically sometimes. It started randomly but is now starting to do it every time we drive the car.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Feb 252011

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Five hundred. The contact stated that the vehicle surged forward while stopped with the brakes engaged. The vehicle would also surge backwards while reversing. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where a failure was diagnosed within the throttle body. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Feb 082011

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Five hundred. The contact was driving with the cruise control set at 60 mph when the cruise control malfunctioned. The contact attempted to accelerate but the engine remained idle. The contact called a tow truck and the tow truck driver reset the accelerator pedal computer and the vehicle resumed normal operation. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the contact was advised that if the accelerator pedal malfunctioned again, the computer module would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Kiser, MO, USA

Oct 022010

Five Hundred

I purchased a Ford 500 07 in March of 2010. Prior to the 60,000 mile warranty ending, I took the car back twice for a surging problem going from drive/reverse. The first time the shop could not find a problem. The second time the service mgr. And daughter did a test drive. Right off the bat the car surged. He called me and told me to bring the car back one morning so he could keep it all day. I could not do this at the time, this is my only means of transportation. On 10/2/10 while backing up in the emergency lane on the interstate. My car accelerated on it own, while moving backwards. I hit the break the accelerator went to the floor. I lifted my foot off the break it took off again. The RPM hand was going crazy. I had no control. The car went into a spin, I ended up in the ditch while hitting another car. Luckily we are still alive.....updated 08/08/16

- Cordova, TN, USA

Sep 122010

Five Hundred

I own a Ford 500 2007. The engine seems to rev up with out pressing the gas pedal. If you are at a stop sign and release the brake the car will lunge forward on its own. I spoke to a mechanic about this problem and he has encountered it before with other 500's. he told me its the throttle body. He told me when he orders them they are on back order.

- Raton, NM, USA

Sep 212010

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Five hundred. While the vehicle was in reverse or drive the vehicle suddenly accelerated. He had to depress the brakes very quickly in order to slow down or stop the vehicle. The dealer was contacted and stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced, but the parts were on back order. The manufacturer was contacted but there wasn┐T a favorable response. The failure mileage was 65,360.

- Elberton , GA, USA

Sep 082010

Five Hundred

The throttle body on our 2007 Ford 500 stuck closed causing engine to stall. The throttle body had to be replaced. Fortunately this happened on a 2 lane road but my wife had just got off a high speed interstate highway. Failure caused rapid deceleration of the vehicle leaving her stranded in the traffic lane. This would probably have resulted in an accident if this would have happened on the interstate. The car has around 37,000 miles on it.

- Masontown, WV, USA

Apr 052010

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Five hundred. While the contact was driving less than 5 mph in the reverse position, an unexpected increase of acceleration occurred. Immediately, the brake pedal was engaged and the vehicle came to a stop. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on two separate occasions where they were unable to duplicate the problem and the technician stated the failure could possibly be related to the air conditioner compressor which was replaced. The failure continued and the vehicle was taken back to the dealer and they informed that the failure was contributed to the throttle body. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was unknown. J

- Elk Grove, CA, USA