2.0

2007 Ford Five Hundred fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Five Hundred:

2007 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments

May 012016

Five Hundred

The car surges several feet when you release the brake. It will do this moving forward or when backing up. The car literally jumps a few feet and you must apply the brakes immediately or risk hitting anything close. It makes it very hard to park and worries us a lot when at stoplights with pedestrians crossing. The car can be a at a complete stop or simply releasing the brake pedal in a turn, backing up or going straight, it is very scary. The surge usually is more of a jump of 2-4 feet. The internet is chock full of customers with the same complaint.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Jan 242016

Five Hundred

Car in the mornings is accelerated and when placed in reverse it moves by itself very accelerated and its parked on a flat surface with no slopes. Transmission feels as if running forcefully but changes gears I guess fine just got the car and has low miles at 27000 miles. And does it everyday.

- Donna, TX, USA

Nov 022015

Five Hundred

At a standstill, car seems to want to surge forward, have to brake to keep from hitting other car.

- Douglas, GA, USA

Jun 122012

Five Hundred

The vehicle has unintended acceleration issues. There was an investigation by the nhsta but nothing came of it. The car still accelerates on its own when I pull into parking spaces or leaving parking spaces. I have to keep my foot on or by the brake pedal as to not hit other cars or people. Having the air conditioning on seems to worsen this problem substantially. It is completely random and I know I'm not the only person that has experienced this issue. Please reopen your investigation and make sure you have both the ac on and off. It's mainly when it is on, but still completely random. I don't know how people and property haven't been injured or damaged as a direct result of this well known issue.

- Aiken, SC, USA

May 102012

Five Hundred

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Five hundred. While parked, the contact smelled an extremely strong fuel odor outside of the vehicle. The failure recurred sporadically. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V355000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 122011

Five Hundred 6-cyl

While pulling into a parking space and my foot off the accelerator, the car will suddenly surge forward. It seems to happen more frequently when the weather is hot. While shopping today in 90+ temperatures today, the car accelerated on more than three occasions as I pulled into parking spaces. The car has accelerated on at least two occasions when I have stopped for pedestrians. Fortunately, I had my foot on the brake. Today, I came very close to crashing through my garage cabinets when the engine surged as I pulled into the garage and was inching forward to clear the garage door.

- Bartlett, TN, USA

May 022009

Five Hundred

I was driving through a parking lot and was pulling into a space to park. I did not have my foot on the accelerator, as I was just easing to a stop. The engine surged and my car lunged forward, almost hitting the vehicle parked in front of me. This has happened multiple times since, at one time almost hitting a pedestrian. I have to keep my foot on the break constantly and hope I can get the car stopped before someone or something is hit, and pray I don't have to use the accelerator at the low levels of speed.

- Jackson, MO, USA

Jun 122012

Five Hundred 6-cyl

My 2007 Ford Five hundred sel fwd with the 3.0 V-6 (81,421 miles) and 6 speed automatic transmission will intermittently surge forward or backwards without gas pedal application when idling in gear. It is as if I floored in a jackrabbit start. It does not do this every time that the car goes to idle in drive or reverse (for example, if I am in traffic at a stoplight) but it will do this at least once every time I drive. I have had to keep my right foot firmly on the brake pedal while backing or in a parking lot to keep the car from hitting pedestrians, other cars, sign poles in parking lots and my carport's wall. It will suddenly rev up when in either drive or reverse without my foot on the gas pedal and try to move in an uncontrolled manner. It may only do it once or it may do it three or four times in just as many seconds. I was unaware of this problem and nearly hit another car the first time this happened. There was no warning. No check engine light activated. My car is equipped with a tachometer, I have seen it jump as high as 2000 RPM from a 750 RPM idle and then fall right back to 750. The fact that I have not hit anyone yet is proof that this is not a pedal misapplication error, but my concern is that an inexperienced driver or someone who is unaware of this defect will be surprised by it and kill or injure themselves or someone else. This is the first time I have ever owned a vehicle with such a problem I took my car to my local Ford dealer and was told that the problem is a defective throttle body which is being replaced tomorrow. I researched this problem on the internet and have found reports that the replacement part is no better than the original. The fact that a defective part can cause a vehicle to act in such a dangerous manner is symptomatic of a factory defect and should be acted upon by the NHTSA as soon as possible.

- Little Rock, AR, USA