2009 Ford Flex electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford Flex:

2009 Ford Flex Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 252014

Flex 6-cyl

I purchased this vehicle in may, 2014 as a used vehicle w/warranty (powertrain). While traveling from St.louis, Missouri in stop and go traffic, the car overheated. After speeding up to get out of traffic it suddenly cooled back off. Now, during this same time, the air conditioner stopped blowing cool air until we sped up to get out of traffic. After that, it didn't happen again until I was stuck in traffic. Same problem. The fans stopped working. Here recently, I was stuck in traffic and the car overheated and the check engine light came on. Only this time, when I sped up the car didn't cool down. The coolant was fine but the car still over heated. I took the car to the dealership today and was told that it is the cooling fan module and it should be replaced. Now, I've read in several different places that this is a problem with 2008-2012 Ford Flex vehicles. A recall was issued for the 2011-2012 series but not earlier models. Owners of these vehicles should not have to be responsible for faulty materials used to make these vehicles. The same recall that was afforded to the 2011-2012 models should also be afforded to owners of earlier models. The dealership wants $600 to repair this because my warranty only covers powertrain. Please address this asap. I have 6 children and cannot afford to spend $600 on something that is not even my fault or the fault of normal wear and tear.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Feb 252015

1#-Feb 25,2015 blew the two heating hoses off back of motor while car was sitting in parking lot with gear in park, took to joe cooper Ford to have repairs done and did. 2#- on March 14,2015 @ about 0930 during a trip to Texas, got caught in traffic in forth worth tex engine over heated and spewed anti-freeze from bottom of car. We replaced the thermostat and after further checking we found that the "cooling fans" did not work. Ford Motor Company has known of this problem since 2007. Joe cooper Ford did not bring this to our attention even thou they knew the cause and was not forth coming, nor have we heard from Ford Motor Company about this issue. We check the forum for Ford Flex and found that this is and on going issue since 2007 with the Ford Flex.

- Midwest, OK, USA

Oct 202014

Six am, totally dark, lights on low beam, total power failure while in heavy traffic and inching forward. Engine died and all electrical components failed within 30 seconds. Battery was new in August of 2014, all connections tight. I was in lane three from the right on a six lane freeway that was totally impacted with vehicles. I tried to exit to right shoulder but could not and ended up blocking lanes two and three. No power to anything but I was able to get shift lever into park and the car started. Would not start in neutral or drive. Has not occurred since after driving approximately 650 miles.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 132014

Flex 6-cyl

Vehicle has had radiator cooling fan(s) failure(s) resulting in loss of power and overheating.

- Roseville, CA, USA

May 012014

Flex 6-cyl

Vehicle overheated on several random occasions. Air conditioning blows hot air when not moving. Vehicle stalled in intersection on several random occasions. The cooling fan relay was replaced which temporarily corrected all related problems. This same problem occurred at 67540 miles. The relay was replaced with a genuine Ford replacement part and has failed again after only 8000 miles. After looking on the internet it is obvious this is not an isolated problem. A recall has been issued for 2011 and 2012 models but not the 09. This is a serious problem that could destroy the vehicles engine or worse get some one killed if it stalls while crossing traffic.

- Tega Cay, SC, USA

Sep 122013

Flex 6-cyl

Vehicle overheated on several random occasions. Air conditioning blows hot air when not moving. Vehicle stalled in intersection on several random occasions. The cooling fan relay was replaced which temporarily corrected all related problems. This exact same problem has now developed after 8000 miles. After looking on the internet it is obvious this is not an isolated problem. A recall has been issued for 2011 and 2012 models but not the 09. This is a serious problem that could destroy the vehicles engine or worse get some one killed if it stalls while crossing traffic.

- Tega Cay, SC, USA

Apr 152011

This is the third time the cooling fan system broke in 3 years since I have my Ford Flex 2009 model. O bought the car in dealer in January 2011. Few months after the cooling system broke. Then a year later it broke again and right now is broken for the third time. I always change for original parts but I want to know the root cause of this and to see if Ford is going to make a recall.

- Carolina, PR, USA

Mar 242014

Flex 6-cyl

Driving stopped at a stop sign noticed the wrench light on (happens often while this happens will not accelerate like normal until it hits 2-3rd gear). I press the gas to accelerate after making the turn I had to make another turn about 1/4 mile up the street. I released the gas to make the turn but my car kept accelerating it was not going very fast but the engine was accelerating pushing the rpms up to 6000. My foot was not on the gas and nothing was pressing the gas no floor mat or items in the way of the pedals. I pressed on the break (with the engine still accelerating) put the car into neutral and pulled over. Turned the engine off and restarted the car. The car ran fine after restarted it. No check engine light was on at any point just the wrench light. The light did go off after I restarted the car. I drove it about another 40 miles since this has happened and has not recurred since. I did have the car taken in to check the codes at about 90K miles (without the wrench light because it goes off as soon as you restart the car) nothing came up for codes.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Aug 282009

Flex 6-cyl

Twice while driving my Ford Flex, I had spontaneous total shut downs of the engine. The first time, my car was only a few months old and I was idling in front of a friend's house when all the lights came on and it completely died. I started it right back up (and it subsequently performed perfectly) and I drove it to Ford where they did some diagnostics checks and found no anomaly. It concerned me but thinking it may be a fuel injection issue while only idling, I went about my business. On July 20, 2012, at 38K mile, my Ford Flex died again! total shutdown of the engine and all the lights came on while I was driving approximately 30 miles per hour with my daughter in the car! no power steering, no power brakes, no power anything! because I was on a slight downhill, I was able to get the car over to the side of the road without catastrophe, thank god. The engine started up again as if nothing occurred. I drove direct to Ford where they did 10 minutes of diagnostic testing and told me once again that there was no anomaly. I went a little crazy, informed them that I was leaving for a 10- day vacation the following morning and that they had the full 10 days to fix the car or that I wasn't going to be picking it up ever again. A Ford tech drove my car with a computer plugged into the car, typed in the problem and after maneuvering the car to try and get a repeated response, the car did indeed shut down while he was driving it! apparently, the throttle body was binding internally and needed to be replaced. After replacing part # 1 7T4Z 9E926 fa, Ford walnut creek ca is telling me it is fixed. Let's hope so. I pray that no one has been involved in a fatal or injury accident as a result of this part's failure. I am writing this as an alert and a heads up to anyone who has had the same scary experience.

- Lafayette, CA, USA

Sep 092010

I purchased my Flex new on Oct 2009 and it has shut off while driving three times since I bought it. The first time it happened I was driving through my neighborhood (with my children in the car with me) at 20mph all the warning lights came on my engine shut off, loss of power steering, loss of brakes. Luckily I was able coast to the side of the street. I waited a few minutes and it wouldn't start. I tried to start it again and it started up. The second time I was driving on the highway(with my children in the car with me) at 55mph engine shut off, loss of power steering, loss of brakes and check engine light came on, I coasted to the shoulder, waited a few minutes and it started right up. I took it to the dealership; they told me they couldn't find any issues that would cause the vehicle to turn off while driving so they didn't attempt to fix it. The third time was last week while driving through my neighborhood(with my children in the car with me) at 20 mph, engine shut off, loss of power steering, loss of brakes and check engine light came on. I took it to the dealership again and again they told me that they couldn't duplicate the issue so they didn't attempt to fix it. My children were in the car with me all three times. I've taken to the dealership 3 times for this issue and they cant duplicate the issue so they can't find the problem so they didn't even attempt to fix it. I just dropped it off this week for the fourth time. Its very frustrating to have this issue especially since im scared to drive the vehicle with my kids in the car. I feel its a huge safety issue. Its a total inconvenience to have to keep going back to the dealership and drop off my vehicle. I have three children and need a dependable vehicle. Luckily we weren't injured but im worried that the next time it happens an injury could occur. Why hasn't Ford listed this issue in their tsb!

- Felton, DE, USA

Oct 082011

Flex 6-cyl

Intermittent no start of vehicle. Towed to dealer after 5 previous incidents. Delivered to dealership in same no start behavior. Upon initial attempt a relay was replaced as the PCM (main engine computer) was not receiving power. Service advisor calls to indicate vehicle is ready and starts up after repair. At the dealership, picking up the vehicle, car starts up, however, dash lights light up, warning "check AWD, check this, check that..." service engine light on as well (the wrench). Shut the car down, try to restart, will not restart. Tech is with me and observes behavior and tries as well. No start again. Tech attempts to download error codes. Mentions rfi interference. Will be doing another diagnostic. Previously, car was towed to dealership for stalling at freeway speeds (65+). ended up being a soaked PCM (main engine computer). This took two trips (towed both times). This is now four times to repair the same non-running / no start defect. The rear brakes were also repaired due to dragging calipers as per tsb 10-7-2.

Jul 082011

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Flex. The contact was driving approximately 5 mph when the tire monitor default warning light illuminated. Every electrical feature failed including the headlights, defroster and anti skid activator. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics where the technician replaced the battery, the wiring connected to the brake pedal and the wiring connected to the remote started yet, the failure persisted. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- Simpsonville, KY, USA

Jan 082011

Flex 6-cyl

2009 Ford Flex will not start. Warning about low fuel, check AWD with 3/4 full tank of gas.

Dec 292010

Flex 6-cyl

Engine stall at speed. Merging on to freeway at 50+ mph, engine cut off, no power. Assist brakes and steering disabled. Safety issue. Was not able to restart vehicle immediately. Waited 10 minutes and car was able to restart. Car was towed to dealership for diagnosis.

Aug 202010

1. recurring braek noise, brakes, rotors and brackets replaced repeatedly. Has happened 4 times over 8 months. ABS system also replaced. 2. vehicle stopped in the middle of the road without pressing on brakes - vehicle was still running and would not move. Eventually (30 to 90 seconds) the vehicle was able to be moved. Dealership kept vehicle to try to identify issue (apparently not first Flex this occured with) and returned vehicle with no repairs other then to replace the ABS. They said there was not issue and it was likely a one time occurance. When asked dealership to look at the transmission and the chain in the T-casing (was told if the chain seized it would create the reaction that happened) I was told they would not as it was timely, expensive and unwarranted. 3. the electronics on the vehicle tend to start/come on whnever they choose with not assistance. The entertainment system/electronics has been malfunctioning repeatedly since the next to last visit to the dealership when the ABS was replaced in August.

- Warren, MI, USA

Oct 192010

Flex 6-cyl

09 Ford Flex. Coming up on a turn and my car shuts off. I rolled to the corner put it in park and restarted the car. This is the second time since I've had the this car that it shut off. Thank goodness no one is hurt. My car is at the dealership as I type.

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Aug 142010

Generally occurs when restarting car about 15 -30 minutes after driving for at least 20 mins with ac on high. Engine will rev up and down on restart, and RPM and speedometer needles sweep back and forth (reading over 100 mph on occasion) for about 10 seconds while car is still in park. Car does not move, though did notice odometer skip up once. Revving and needle sweeping either stop on own, or when put into reverse with foot on brake. Dealership found no errors on car computer, and was unable to duplicate, but was shown when car was dropped off. Dealership wants to use flight recorder but flight recorder needed to be fixed/sent back. Been trying to get answer for over a month now.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Jul 242010

The check engine light has come on 4 times in the past year. The error code relates to the capless fuel system. The dealer has reset the code and replaced a fueling tube. On 7/24/10, engine light lit and five minutes later the engine cut out while driving less than 20 mph. Car restarted without issue. It is currently being serviced.

- Carmichaels, PA, USA

Mar 242010

I have a 2009 Ford Flex built October 2008 which stalled yesterday. I was driving about 10-20 mph when the stall occured. Restarted the car without any problem. Problem seems to be rare. Fortunately traffic was light so I was able to steer the car to safety. Please note that power steering was lost during the stall. I will take the car to get a look at by the dealer and hope to get this fixed.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Aug 162009

My wife was driving our 2009 Ford Flex in a driving rainstorm approximately 500 miles from home and the car died twice. Each time, she called roadside assistance and a tow truck had to come out and pick her up. A local Ford dealer look at the car, but naturally did not find anything wrong. She made it back home and I took it to the dealer we purchased it from (crain Ford + little rock, Arkansas). They kept it for a week and we drove a rental car around. They never did find out what was wrong. Now, today, December 11, 2009, my car is back in the shop for the 2nd time for brake grinding. They tell me also that I have to pay for a new tie rod...$500. I'm sick of Ford motors!!

- Little Rock, AR, USA