2009 Ford Flex engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford Flex:

2009 Ford Flex Owner Comments

Jun 262016

Flex 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Flex. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed and the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the electronic throttle failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 136,000....updated 07/19/16

- Willianston, NC, USA

Sep 082015

Flex

My Flex started having a hard jerk and bang when going from reverse to park. Was not always but frequent. The car started to run hot when sitting in a drive thru or traffic but would go right back down when I started moving. I took it into S mechanic and he replaced the fan. After replacing the fan the car began to have a really bad grinding noise when idling or traveling. Do bad I did not want to drive it. I took it into the Ford dealership and after 2 days they call and say they can't find anything wrong. Within 4 minutes I get another call daying I need a new transmission. The car would eccellerate on its own, shut off intermittently, and car would lag between 3rd and 4th gears. Ford dealership advised me to have a knew transmission put in. Car will shift properly most of the time even on highway. Only get whining noise at low speeds. I was also in an accident causing $13000 worth of damage to front end and airbags did not deploy after hitting a car doing 35 mph.

- National City, CA, USA

Mar 242014

Flex 6-cyl

Driving stopped at a stop sign noticed the wrench light on (happens often while this happens will not accelerate like normal until it hits 2-3rd gear). I press the gas to accelerate after making the turn I had to make another turn about 1/4 mile up the street. I released the gas to make the turn but my car kept accelerating it was not going very fast but the engine was accelerating pushing the rpms up to 6000. My foot was not on the gas and nothing was pressing the gas no floor mat or items in the way of the pedals. I pressed on the break (with the engine still accelerating) put the car into neutral and pulled over. Turned the engine off and restarted the car. The car ran fine after restarted it. No check engine light was on at any point just the wrench light. The light did go off after I restarted the car. I drove it about another 40 miles since this has happened and has not recurred since. I did have the car taken in to check the codes at about 90K miles (without the wrench light because it goes off as soon as you restart the car) nothing came up for codes.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA