2011 Ford Flex electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Flex:

2011 Ford Flex Owner Comments

Nov 012015

Key fob and alarm - in the last 2 months my keyfob has started to open and lock my neighbors 2005 Ford Focus. Since these are small city lots, the cars are always parked within 50 feet of each other and cannot be parked outside of fob range. This includes garages and street parking. The dealer has reset the keys but it didn't work. They also stated there is nothing else that can be done outside of replacing the controller and keys. Cost would be $700 - $1000. They states would has happened is vurtually impossible but it is happening. My neighbor states they cannot find they alarm fob, it is not built into their key. I have no way to verify this so I cannot test to see if they can unlock my car. The key fob security system has been nullified by this problem.

- Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA

Apr 122015

For no apparent reason, the electrical on my dashboard went out. I was told it was called the front interface. It has never been mistreated, abused nor has it ever been exposed to moisture or liquids. I can't use or adjust the radio, satellite, cd player, nor the heat and air. However, the heat is on full blast and the Ford dealership I visited about the problem says they can't turn the heat off. I was told it was a front interface problem. This is a $600-$700 problem that I don't feel is the consumers'. my car is not that taken very good care of. Ford needs to fix this problem. The dealership says the part is on a month back order. If this is an infrequent problem, how come it takes so long to find this interface. Just wanting to let other Ford drivers know of this problem if they have experienced this as well. This is my fourth Ford vehicle and I'm starting to have regrets. Please give me some feedback about this interface.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Jul 022012

Was driving down the freeway-no rain or inclement weather. At 70mph had total loss of power (no lights, no power steering, nothing) with no previous warning. Able to get to side of road without incident. Car restarted and had no further problems. I immediately called my Ford dealer and had the car serviced after we returned home from vacation. I also had this happen during my first week of ownership of the car about Oct, 20 when I lost total power again, but at a much lower speed (30mph) I also called Ford and had my car serviced after this.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Aug 082011

On August 8, 2011 and February 8, 2012, my new Flex shut down while I was driving. The dashboard lights flashed on, and the vehicle turned off - total electrical failure - couldn't accelerate or brake - had to painfully pull car off the road. Car was towed to dealer. Ford dealer performed diagnostics to no avail, as when the engine shut down, I turned the key off, then back on again - this destroyed the data. Seems like a fundamental data system flaw. Nonetheless, I drove away from the dealership in fear, only to have the incident recur six months later. Now I am driving with a data flight recorder for a mere ten days, the button of which I must push, if and when the car shuts down again. Without recorded data, though Ford believes my report, I seem to have no recourse with Ford. I now am driving in fear for my own and others' lives. Has this happened to anyone else?

- Summerland, CA, USA