4.0

2012 Ford Flex steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Flex:

2012 Ford Flex Owner Comments

Aug 242016

Flex

I was backing my car into a parking space, turning my wheel all the way to the right when I hearo and felt a noise in the steering column and then all power steering assist completely ended making the car go into manual steering mode. Very difficult to steer and potentially hazardous being so sudden. There is a recall out for the power assist steering already and my Flex fits all the same criteria as the recall yet its not involved in the recall. Same plant, same building year, same model year, and same area affected as other cars in the recall but my VIN isn't included. This is nothing that I've done to the vehicle personally to make the power steering malfunction. I believe it's a manufacturer error that needs replaced in the recall. It could have been very dangerous as I was in an elementary school parking lot with alot of little kids walking around also have 3 in the car with me. My husband was lied to multiple times over the phone from fm employees about the nature of this recall and how or why our vehicle wasn't included. Our vehicle came out of the same plant during the same time the other affected vehicles did and is having the same issues as those affected and should be covered under the recall.

- Collinsville, OK, USA

Jan 042016

Flex

While driving I experienced a total loss of power steering and the dashboard flashed "power assist failure". this happened four times over the course of two weeks. I've taken the car in to sound Ford in renton, wa and was told that this is a known recall issue (#15S18). My complaint is with regard to the part needed to repair the problem. Both the dealer and the Ford customer relationship center have told me that the part ( a steering gear) is on endless backorder due to manufacturing delays. Driving the car at this point is dangerous and I'm looking for support in getting the replacement part from Ford and having the repair done.

- Vashon, WA, USA

Aug 302014

Flex 6-cyl

I was driving in traffic when a warning sounded and my dashboard displayed the message "power steering assist failure". steering became extremely difficult. I pulled into a service station and shut off the engine. When I restarted the engine, the steering problem had resolved itself. Approximately an hour later, the same problem repeated itself. An internet search revealed that many other drivers of Flex vehicles have experienced the same problem. I contacted Ford and they said, while other Ford models have been recalled for a similar problem, the Flex is not named in any of their notices. At this time they said they have no plan for any follow-up action. Because of the loss of steering control this is a safety issue that should be addressed before someone gets killed.

- Ipswich, MA, USA

Aug 062014

Flex 6-cyl

Traveling straight down a main, 2 lane road, the vehicle chimed and I received two errors on the diagnostic screen. First was for power steering assist fault and the second was advance trac fault. The power steering assist was disabled and the steering wheel had gone stiff. I was able to do a rolling restart (neutral, key off, restart, back into drive) without incident, the warnings on the dash cleared, and the power steering was restored. Given any winding road or turning into or out of traffic scenario, this could have been much more treacherous. I felt I should bring this to your attention, as it appears this is a common situation, evidenced by an internet search.

- Wilmore, KY, USA

Oct 292012

Flex 6-cyl

First incident happened while driving about 40 miles an hour. Idiot lights came on the dash and the cars engine turned off. Thankfully I was able to get car off to the side of road. Car cranked right back up. 5 days later while sitting in a fast food line, same thing happened and was able to crank car. Called dealership in town, brought car in and they said, "nothing is wrong with your car, come and get it" picked up car. 2 days later while driving it down our street, I stopped to get mail about 9pm and the car totally died. No power at all. Was stuck in park had to be towed. This is a very dangerous situation. The car shuts down while I am driving!!! thank god that it has not happened while going 65 miles an hour with my family in the car. Car is at dealership. Have only had the car several months. Not a good track record so far!

- Apex, NC, USA