8.0

2. replace lock actuator and door latch (6 reports)
  3. never use the trunk again? (1 reports)
2000 Ford Focus accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Focus:

2000 Ford Focus Owner Comments

May 102008

Focus ZX3 2.0L

This problem is dangerous, inconvenient and expensive to repair and should be covered under a recall. Ford needs to act responsibly and issue a recall for this, The actuator is at fault and it is a disgrace that for this kind of problem to block all the doors from being opened even manually!

- , Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Apr 042008

Focus SE

At first, it appeared my remote central locking had merely blown a fuse, however after 4-5 days of procrastinating in replacing the fuse, I was shocked to discover that my key no longer worked in the driver's door! No problem, I thought...I unlocked the passenger door and slid over the center console to the driver's seat and headed home....Pulled in the driveway....problem. NOW the manual unlock toggle near the inside door handle appears to be stuck in the locked position as well, and no amount of wiggling/forcing/rapping with my fist/etc seems to want to make the door unlock, from either the inside OR the outside. Power windows still work, which has paid off, since I sometimes have to park on the street, parallel to a rather steep grassy drainage culvert on the passenger side. Better to exit General Lee style than to slide down the muddy slope. The big problem in fixing this issue is going to be removing the interior panel to get to the (apparently) faulty lock actuator. I may need to bite the bullet, do some surgery with my sawzall, then live with a Frankenstein repair or go junk yarding for a new interior panel. In the meantime, my coworkers get to laugh at me, or perhaps admire my amazingly thrifty choice of commuter car!!!

- , Chester, MD, USA

Sep 122007

Focus SE 2.0L Zetec

Rear passenger door got stuck. Power locks do not work because of it. Does not open at all needs to be taken apart from the inside with damage to the panel. Very dangerous if in accident doors can potentially fail and you will not be able to open them. This is one of several major problems with this focus.

- , Green Bay, WI, USA

Jun 202004

Focus SE

One day my drivers side door wont unlock or open....talk about a pain! I had to crawl through the passenger side door to get into my car! I took to to a dealer to have it fixed and they ended up telling me the cost to fix it was something insane(I don't remember now what it was) but yeah this is only one of a LONG list of problems I have had with my focus.

- , Nashville, TN, USA

May 292007

Focus LX 2.0 V4

This same exact thing has happened to me... One day the fuse sounded like it blew the next thing I know all of my power locks are not working and my passenger door is permanently shut!! I hate this car so much and has given me nothing but problems. I had to also replace the ignition on the car because it slowly stopped working. What a terrible product and a recall should be put into action. Hard working American people are buying an American product and are not getting a quality vehicle in return. We are buying an unsafe piece of garbage. This is just a disgrace and no wonder people decide to only buy foreign vehicles.

- , Tallahassee, Florida, Qatar

Apr 162007

Focus SE 2.4 4cyl

i hate the car. i have important papers in the trunk and can't get to them because the freaking truck won't open. i got stopped by the police because my tail light was out. told him the trunk won't open to get to it i was taking the damn piece of s... to get the trunk fixed the next day. he wrote me a ticket for the damn light not working maybe i should send ford the receipt for for the repairs. i am a nursing student and don't have money to keep putting into this stupid car. i will NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER FORD. i would not take a ford if someone gave me a 2007/ these cars a useless.

- , Merriville, IN, USA

Oct 252007

Focus ZX3

I have replaced many things on this car, alot of times the same problem over and over again. I have manual locks and both doors will not latch and close or unlock. I have only had the problem for a few days now but when I get in or out of the car and close the door it would not latch and close nor will it open from the outside if it does happen to close and latch.. I did call ford and had them note the complaint. I have to enter and exit my car from the trunk.

- , Gahanna, OH, USA

Sep 242007

Focus SE 2.0L 4 cyl

Ford dealership charged $450 to supposedly fix the lock problem and it still does not work all of the time. Don't know when I'll get locked out!

- , Williamsburg, VA, USA

Sep 182006

Focus ZX3

I posted my complaint earlier. I had a few people take a look at the problem and they replaced the fuse behind the fuse panel (PAIN!). All the locks worked including the truck except the driver side door. As they drove it around the block, the fuse blew. They replaced it 4 times and same thing happened so basically the driver side door was the trigger to seizing up the other locks. (They also took apart the driver side door panel.). After giving up, i ended up taking it to FORD. They told me it cost $235 CDN for the part and a couple hours of labour. We basically determined that the lock actuator needed to be replaced on the driver side door. The rep reduced the cost on the part to $168 and I had to pay for 2 1/5 hrs of labour at $98/hr. Total cost of repairs = $420 tax included. I am still writing to FORD as this is a safety issue and I reported this to TRANSPORT CANADA. We should all do the same.

- , Markham, Ontario, Canada

Feb 222007

Focus SE

This is my 4th Ford. I have had good luck with all of them (sound of knocking on wood can be heard). But get this one...

So... I paid off my car and the following month the heater blower motor died, the battery needed replacing (which is cool because it was a factory battery with 7 years on it) and the power locks stopped working. No biggie cuz I have a key right? WRONG !! The driver door will not unlock either with a key from the outside or manually from the inside. Now I find myself entering through the passenger side. Talk about a pain in the ass !!

Can't imagine this is a cheap fix (nothing is) so now I gotta figure out how to get the door open, take it apart and repair it myself. Anyone got a link to that info?

- , Rochester, NY, USA

May 102006

Focus

Recently my remote stopped unlocking my doors and then my interior auto-lock and -unlock has stopped working as well. Now I have to manually unlock and lock the doors. This is a very big pain in my ass!

- , Evansville, IN, USA

Dec 272006

Focus SE

Seen this one a lot on here. the ghosts of foci past managed to disable my lock mechanism. I wasn't worried until I read that the locks can jammed when operated manually. A little research has told me that the FUSE #63 needs to be replaced. But this is located on the "back side of fuse box" and no one seems to be able to tel me how to get to it.

Looks like i'm headed back to the Trusty neighborhood Mechanic (at least he doesn't rip me off). I like the Focus a lot, but these piddly BS problems are making me want a divorce!

- , Northville, MI, USA

Nov 242006

Focus DX 2.0L 4 cyl

I can't open my passenger side door!!!!! At least it is kind of fun to watch friends/family try to get into the passenger side through the driver's side door!

- , Glenville, NY, USA

Sep 132006

Focus ZX3

My car is almost 6 years old. I've never had any problems with the locks before until last week. I heard a strange sounds from my driver side locks as I opened my door. It almost sounded like the fuse slowly died. From that point, I tested all the power locks and nothing worked except using it manually. I tried the button inside for the truck release and that also did not work. I lost power for the locks and the truck. The remote is basically useless and none of the buttons work including the panic button. I had to lock and unlock the door using the key manually. The truck does not open even if I use the key. The key does not turn left or right which I found very odd. As of yesterday, the driver side door cannot open at all from the inside and outside so I am coming into the car only through the passenger side door. After reading everyone's complaints/comments/repairs, this really is a SAFETY issue if I do get into an accident and both doors do not open, including the truck. FORD should really take a look at a RECALL for the locks. I have not taken the car into the shop yet as I am afraid of the costs to repair this but I know I will have to do this soon. It really is a pain to get in my car from the passenger side and have only 1 door to get into. I also don't understand why I cannot open my truck manually and now the doors are starting to get locked up. Does anyone know what this problem could be? I think it may be the fuse but to get to that, you have to take apart the fuse panel as its behind it (another pain). Send me your comments if you know what the real problem could be.

- , Markham, Ontario, Canada

Sep 092006

Focus SE

driver side door will not lock by any means (key, remote power button or rocker button.) I am also unable to unlock any other door except for my trunk and I can only do thay with the key. prior to this I had the same problem with my passenger door.

- , Boscawen, N. H, USA

Jun 082006

Focus SE

My trunk shut one day and now it won't open. Not with the key, the keyless dudade or the release inside the car. Naturally the back seat release to drop the back seats down is on the INSIDE of the trunk. I was quoted $200CDN to fix the problem. $103 for the lock, and $91/hour for service..... unbelievable!

- , Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jan 302006

Focus SE

Maybe I should paint it orange and put a rebel flag on top, call it the General POS and crawl thru the windows.

I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!

- , Gainesville, TX, USA

Nov 052005

Focus SE

This car is 5 years old and now after many, many other problems the doors & trunk will not open with remote and now the front door will not open from the inside or outside. It is a terrible hassle and a danger to have a door that will not open. Ford should pay for this being that other people complaint about the same problem... CALLING FOR A RECALL FROM FOR THE FORD 2000!!! This Focus obviously lost its focus a long time ago!!!

- , Mount Vernon, NY, USA

Nov 172003

Focus SE

I HATE MY FORD FOCUS! They had to replace this two times. The second time was due to a defective part (is what I was told).

I NEEDED GAS, BUT I REFUSED TO LET PEOPLE WATCH ME CRAWL OVER AND GET OUT THE PASSENGER DOOR. LOL

- , Bartow, FL, USA