8.7

2. ford should issue a recall (28 reports)
  3. replace ignition switch (5 reports)
  4. ignition cylinder needs to be replaced (3 reports)
  5. replace the steering column and ignition switch (3 reports)
  6. drill a hole into the ignition to drop the tumblers (2 reports)
2000 Ford Focus accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Focus:

2000 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jun 112011

Focus

Stuck with my two teenage girls in the middle of the night on a saturday night in a dark park with no one around for hours. Two truck took forever. Very unsafe.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 122011

Focus SE 4

I had a hard time getting my key in and when I finally did it won't turn. I have called around and it is a common problem. I don't understand if it was faulty why i am having to fix it. Why when they found out it was messed up I wasn't notified so I could get it done before it broke and now my car is stuck in my driveway until I can come up with the money to get a problem fixed that Ford new was going to be an issue.

- , Gresham, OR, USA

Jun 052011

Focus V6

My sixteen year old daughter has been stranded three times due to her ignition switch . Her key goes in but will not turn. The first two times we all took turns working the key and steering wheels for hours until it finally turned. I MEAN HOURS!!!!!!!!! This time she was stranded on a side street late at night and once again, we all tried for several hours but with no luck. Not sure what to do. Just bought this car for our daughter and have already had to replace the clutch and now this. Not a happy family!!!!!!!!!

- , Albany, OR, USA

Jun 292011

Focus SE

Ignition switch will not turn. So windows will not go up or down, can't put car in neutral to be towed. Got stuck and could not leave car where it was because the frekin windows would not go up because I could not turn the key. BIG PAIN IN THE ASS!!!

From research Ford has known about this problem with the focus since 2000 the first year the focus came out. They won't issue a recall so we are stuck paying for the fix.

- , Moreno Valley, CA, USA

May 202011

Focus

This is a well documented defect in this model of Focuses. This should be recalled and not left to the owner to front the costs to fix. The locksmith that fixed it for me at 3am last night said he had already done 4 that week. Ford needs to acknowledge this problem and rectify it.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 042011

Focus SE

This is was a pain because I commute to school every day, after my night class my keys would not turn the car on. They would go in and it would not turn over. Therefore being stuck at school I needed a ride home. I called a locksmith he came right out to campus took the old cylinder out put a new one in, and I was on my merry way! Easy quick fix, if you see that your keys are getting stuck or the cylinder stuck I suggest ordering a new cylinder pronto! This will avoid a pointless break down at the worst possible time, and may leave you stranded. All in all for 125 bucks it was cheap fix, pointless but cheap.

- , Pulaski, WI, USA

Feb 202011

Focus SE

This is the second ignition replacement that had to be completed because of the issue of not being able to turn the key. They key had been "sticking" for at least a year now, but hadn't happened every time I went to start the car. It happened intermittently, but at least, it would eventually "give" and I could start the car (with a lot of key jiggling and turning of the steering wheel).

I was at the Detroit Zoo on Sunday, and that is when I went to start my car, and the key once again would not turn the ignition. I tried every trick I knew to get it to turn. And I also had a friend try too, and nothing. After looking up solutions on the internet, I am also going to try some silicone spray and using a hammer to lightly tap the key into the ignition to see if this would work.

Thankfully this forum also gave me the idea to call a locksmith vs taking the car to a mechanic to be fixed. I just got off the phone with a locksmith who said he would fix the problem for $225. I think this is a deal because it would save me from paying a tow truck to take the car to a shop to be fixed - the locksmith will come to me.

I also tried to call the ford customer service line to see if they would cover the cost of repair for this oh-so-obvious ignition problem, and I was denied. Bastards.

My goal is to move somewhere I will not have to own a car. They are way more time, trouble and money than they are worth.

- , Royal Oak, MI, USA

Mar 172011

Focus

The car key will just not turn. I found some info on the internet regarding this problem and seems that its a huge problem for ford focus 2000-2003 and there has been no recall. Im not sure if getting it fixed by ford will be a good idea since they quoted me at about 500.00 and the problem can occur again from what I have read online.

- , Cicero, IL, USA

Mar 142011

Focus SE 3.2L

fix the problem, stop playing games with the consumer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , perry, ga, USA

Nov 032010

Focus

I have had my car (a 2000 Ford Focus named Hubebe) since 2005, happy graduation to me! He has had his share of problems, faulty brake lines, rough idling, the drivers side door handle on the inside stopped opening the door, but the ignition locking up is the worst. The key won't turn in the ignition, I have been late to appointments, work and picking people up from events because of it. Sometimes it will start the first try, sometimes it takes me an hour, and other times I have just left the dang thing sit. It is very frustrating. I don't trust this car for much other than trips within the cities where I know people who can pick me up.

Safety concern? Hell yes!

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Apr 042010

Focus SE 2.0L 4 cyl

We've had this "key won't turn" problem for several years but it just keeps getting more frequent. I've know of the key problem in Fords for a few years but it never bothered our individual car. I've lubed the tumbler mechanism for years with spray silicone to keep the problem from occurring but it finally must have worn out. I've owned at least 30 cars over the years and have NEVER had a key mechanism "wear out". With the huge, wide-spread occurrence & knowledge of this fault I would have hoped that Ford would have done a recall by now. This will keep me from buying a Ford product in the future, and I've always wanted to buy another Ford as I have previously had VERY good experiences with their vehicles. My pastor has a Volvo (model built by Ford) and guess what… she has the SAME problem! You'd think they'd solve the problem before transmitting their 'virus' to other brands!

- , Ocala, FL, USA

Sep 172010

Focus 2.0L 4 cyl

Ignition / tumbler mechanism [ side bar ] would NOT drop down to proper position.. to allow inserted key to turn... in either direction.... preventing me from being able to start the car.... according to lock smith.. who replaced the entire mechanism with a replacement unit that does NOT have a side bar. He stated that Ford has a terrible problem with these OEM ignition / tumbler devices [ which Ford refuses to admit ] .... he has replaced over 200 of these defective units within the first 6 months of 2010 , in our area..... GREAT business for the lock smith !!!

This malfunction completely disrupted my personal / business day activities... I estimate that I lost over $500.00 in [ business ] profit... and the repair FIX cost me $152.00 ...which I do not think is an excessive charge... from the lock smith. I had called 3 local Ford Dealerships.... looking for... options... to get the car back in service.... and the last dealership service- person suggested I call a ' certain ' lock smith.... for " prompt " assistance.

Ford should be held accountable for ALL costs... associated with one having to fix THEIR problem. I will NEVER purchase any FORD product... ever again !!!.... and will ' spread ' my tale-of-woe....far and wide !!!

- , East Peoria, IL, USA

Oct 082008

Focus

Looked on the net and found that this was a really common problem with these cars. Was recommended to replace the cylinder and have it keyed by a locksmith. About $400-500 to have this done. I called Ford Canada Customer service to see if I could get a goodwill repair as this problem seemed to be so common and I was told as there is not recall nor customer satisfaction program in place for that particular issue they would no be able to help me at all.

- , Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Sep 112009

Focus 4 Door V6

This is become a common problem with the focus made by ford, but they refuse to re-call. The ignition switch locks up and you can't turn the key at all. Only solution is to replace the switch.

- , Radford, VA, USA

Aug 172010

Focus

Drove to work this morning just fine. Went to go to lunch and key would not turn. I'll update when I have a solution

- , McKinney, TX, USA

Aug 142010

Focus SE

Much like the other Ford Focus' my ignition key locked up and I could not start my car. This is a common problem. Apparently a slide that most cars don't have to lock the steering wheel and to prevent theft. The locksmith said do not take it to Ford because they will replace it with another defective part. You should make sure that a locksmith does it and he uses an aftermarket one because those are the ones that work. The locksmith generally costs you approximately $150 to $165 compared to the $500 price tag from Ford. If you live in the Phoenix area call Ignition Magician at 6024100321. He charges $150 and drives to your location. Your best bet to not have to replace the ignition again, and again and again...

- , Tempe, AZ, USA

Feb 022010

Focus LX 2.0L 4 cyl

I have had this problem a month after i bought this car in January 2010.. It worsened gradually, and has gotten to the point where I have to turn my key partially off, i can't lock my iginition otherwise it will get stuck and the ignition wont turn on anymore.. now i have to buy a new battery because doing that killed it.. ford needs to recall this asap!

- , Apple Valley, CA, USA

Sep 102008

Focus SE 1.6L

Could not get the car started at 2:00am had to leave the car over night in a rough neighborhood

- , Arvada, CO, USA

Jul 292010

Focus

ignition locked, cant turn the key..need to have locksmith come out or towed to Ford dealership

- , Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Jun 282010

Focus SE

Daughter had her prom today, at the hair salon, this car which has had every problem known to man would not turn on, lots of people helped we tried everything. Did I mention years ago I sent a letter to the President no response. We had to get a taxi, meanwhile while trying to get the car started my daughters makeup and hair got wrecked. The horn does not work, The tie rods have gone several times and one time the Ford dealership fixed the car by taking the tires off and putting the bolt on backwards. Cost me thousands of dollars while still under warranty but at the time Ford did nothing and I had my second bout of cancer. Ford really sucks, I could go on but I will not. Only to say tomorrow is my daughter's graduation not sure how I am going to get this lemon working!!!! Forget about getting it from the hairdressers.

- , Oakville, ON, Canada