4.6

2000 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Focus:

2000 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 032008

Focus 4-cyl

Smelled smoke coming from vehicle and upon exiting vehicle fire was coming from the underneath of the engine compartment.

- Lorain, OH, USA

Jun 102007

Focus 4-cyl

To the best of my knowledge no recall notice was ever received regarding campaign # 02V288000, I have a bill for replacement of the exact same parts due to the exact same problems this recall notice stated. I would like reimbursement. How do I go about this?

- Warren, MI, USA

Sep 032006

Focus 4-cyl

Battery cable damage, vehicle fails to start.

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

Mar 132006

Focus 4-cyl

Failed to start; noticed that positive cable insulation near connection to battery was melted; had battery jump-start; took to have battery check in car while running; bad battery; replaced battery with new one; and failed to turn on; mechanic checked continuity and there was none found; mechanic cut off part of cable with burnt insulation and tried to reconnect; no remedy; notified by mechanic that it would cost approximately $400 to replace positive cable harness. Mechanic notified me of a recall he found concerning the zetec engine and battery cable harnesses catching on fire; thus, contacted dealer with VIN; and they said there is no such recall associated with that VIN...

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 032005

Focus 4-cyl

Battery cables were replaced under recall 02V288000. New cables only lasted for 2 years before car quit running and the cables needed replacement again. 2nd replacement was not covered under warranty or recall so consumer had to replace cables at Ford dealer for $250 (parts and labor). Consumer feels that two years of life on battery cables is completely unacceptable. Car is now considered somewhat unreliable due to the fact that battery cables are prone to failure.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Sep 152005

Focus 4-cyl

Driving down the highway at about 55 mph, car hesitated, ran real rough, then ran normal until I reached my destination. When I reached my destination car just died in parking lot, would not turn over, would not do anything. Had car towed to hillside Ford (nearest Ford dealer). They called me back and said that could not figure out the problem until they put a starter in the car because the car was not turning over. What the starter has to do with the car dying is beyond me? so I said ok, they changed the starter, charging me of course ($180 for starter), and then realized that the car still didn't do anything. This is when they figured out that the battery cables were all burnt up. So they told me they would have to be changed (another $90 for cables). So after the starter and the battery cables were changed the car was back to running normal. My total bill including labor $618. I had no choice but to get the car done because it is my only source of transportation. After further looking into recalls on the NHTSA website for my car, I realized that there is a recall for the battery cables on my Focus, with my engine and the same year (recall #: 02V288000). I called Ford and they told me that all recalls are VIN specific and my car was not on the list. This is the same thing they said when they had a silent recall on the fuel pump, which they finally agreed to take care of.

- Milltown, NJ, USA

Aug 252005

Focus 4-cyl

Battery cable was located in a way that caused abrasion against battery case. Wear by this abrasion caused failure of the insulation and a short circuit. This resulted in total engine and electrical failure and started a small, brief electrical fire of the cable insulation and battery case. The incident occurred on a freeway, and put the occupant in significant danger. Vehicle was towed to garage. Battery and battery cable harness assembly was replaced. Status of alternator not yet available.

- Saratoga, CA, USA

May 162005

Focus

2000 Ford Focus with Z-tech engine caught fire drivers side battery compartment/wire harness

- Meriden , CT, USA

Dec 092004

Focus 4-cyl

Consumer received recall 02V288000 concerning battery cables. When driving at night, at any speed, headlights got dimmer, and the radio came on and went off intermittently. Consumer saw this recall on NHTSA website, and believed battery cable failure was the cause of this problem. The dealer and the manufacturer were not notified.

- Waldwick, NJ, USA

Feb 012004

Focus

While driving the dash light began to flicker then the vehicle shut down suddenly while in gear. Campaign id number : 00V411000. The consumer was told that the power cable to the battery was the result of the problem. Campaign id number : 02V288000. The consumer was told by the service department that this is a problem because the vehicle could explode. The warranty company turned the consumer down stating that the problem was not part of the warranty. The key gets stuck in the vehicles ignition and would not come out. The doors would not close properly and remained open while the vehicle was in gear. When the tire was removed the consumer noticed that the wheel was missing a lug nut. Campaign id number : 00V303000 the air vent did not stay open when the A/C was on high. The brakes howled like a wounded dog from the time of purchase. Pads and rotors needed to be replaced.

- Woodbridge, Ontario, DC, USA

Aug 232003

Focus

Various problems involving 2000 Ford Focus. Recall campaign #02542 was issued for the vehicle in reference to defective battery cables.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Jun 122004

Focus 4-cyl

While driving at any speed, the vehicle stalled. The consumer restarted the vehicle, and drove it to a mechanic for inspection. The mechanic determined that the battery cables needed to be replaced. Recall# 02V288000. The consumer was told that his vehicle was not apart of this recall. The positive battery cable was found routed improperly.

- Bricktown, NJ, USA

Aug 222003

Focus 4-cyl

Along with the on going problems I have with my 2000 Ford Focus, I recently stalled while sitting at the light, I came to find that my positive battery cable was so corroded and burt. Causing me to stall. I had taken it to the dealer in August of 2003 they claimed to have inspected and rerouted the battery cable and torqued the pinch bolt. They told me I needed a new battery and offered to do this for me for $190 I declined the offer, never did they mention the cables, I had the battery replaced that same day. Several weeks later my battery light comes on, I take it back to the dealer and they tell me it's my fault and now the alternator will need to be replaced and the frayed positive cable which is burnt completely is not their fault. They tell me that they will not fix the battery cables unless I pay $390 to have the alternator fixed. These issues with my car are as a direct result from this battery cable issue. There are also still many other issues with this car including a leak which they think means the car is actually cracked in half. The service advisor verbally attacks me and gives me the finger and tells me to talk to the hand. The service manager steps in and does nothing to help me. In the meantime I all I wanted was the cables replaced as it is stated in the recall. So I can dump the piece of crap.

- Cape Coral , FL, USA

Oct 022003

Focus

While driving at night time headlights failed, only the high beam worked. Also, this vehicle had a problem with misrouted battery cables. Dealer not notified. Vehicle's warranty expired.

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 232003

Focus 4-cyl

Defective vehicle - numerous major problem and defective parts, recalls

- Seattle, WA, USA

Sep 112000

Focus

2000 Ford Focus. Car would not start 9/11/03. Nothing was left on to drain the battery. Aaa called. Applied pressure to battery cables. Was not making connection. Wires frayed to cable. Finally started when cable was turned and twisted just so.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jul 102003

Focus

2000 Ford Focus. Bought at sanger Ford outlet new. Problem: Cable and wiring frayed. Result: Aaa called. Dead battery. Towed. Inconvenience.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Aug 032003

Focus

Consumer's vehicle experienced the same problem as mentioned in recall 02V288000 concerning battery cables. Dealer would not repair the vehicle because VIN number was not included.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Aug 012003

Focus

I own a 2000 Ford Focus stz. I bought this vehicle for my wife and kids. The first incident with this vehicle was back in I think March. The ignition froze, leaving my wife stranded at work and the kids at the babysitter. She had to find a ride to the babysitter and then home. She then had to call a tow company and have the car towed to skyline Ford in salem Oregon. She was told that there have been quiet a few Focus with this problem. The service tech knew immediately what was wrong with the car. We were 100 miles over the factory warranty!! we had to pay for the faulty part. The next problem was in the beginning of August. We went to get ice cream. The car stalled as we were leaving the ice cream store. The car would not start. It finally started after about 15 minutes. We were only about 10 minutes from home. All the way home the car acted like it was not getting enough gas. Upon arriving home, I opened the hood and noticed that the battery cable was melted. We called skyline, who could not get us in until Saturday. It was 3 or 4 days. Now we are told that we have to pay $120 for a faulty part!! there was a recall on this car for faulty battery cables. We are told that if Ford decides that there is a problem with the actual cable, then we will be refunded the $120. This is outrageous!! I wish that I had never purchased this car. It has really hurt my opinion of Ford products.

- Salem, OR, USA

Aug 252003

Focus

Battery cable experienced the same defect as stated in recall 02 V 288 000, but this vehicle not covered under recall due to VIN.

- Smyrna, GA, USA