8.1

2. replace ignition switch (9 reports)
  3. replace starter (2 reports)
2000 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Focus:

2000 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 252011

Focus SE 2.0L Sohc

i have changed the crank sensor 3 times and it will start for a bit and then stops running soon after.. i just want my car to run

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 252011

Focus SE 2.0L Sohc

everytime i try to start it it floods the spark plugs.. we clean them off.. they flood again and i get stuck at places like the gas station looking like an idiot trying to push my car

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 122011

Focus LX 2.0L Sohc

My 2000 SOHC Focus will start once a day. After that it's a roll of the dice. It starts when it is cool (under 50), but the problem is much in hot weather. It started all winter. This problem reared it's head last fall, and now that it's summer, it is back. The only noise I hear when I turn the key is the noise of the fuel pump. No clicks from the solenoid or the click click click that you hear when you have a bad battery. Occasionally, I have been able to jump start it, but only from my truck. Other vehicles just don't seem to be able to, and I have tried. When I can't get it to start, the only answer is to leave it to sit several hours (over night) and it will start when I come back to it. I have had the alternator, battery, and starter all tested at the local auto parts store and the only thing they noted was a "delay" when starting. I have two possible theories. First is the plunger on the solenoid (mounted on the top of the starter) is gunked up or has a broken spring. When it's cool, the plunger can slide, but when warm, a contaminant prevents the plunger from moving and starting. A cooler spring has more strength, so that is where the spring may be the problem. The other theory is that the bendix expands when warm and binds up the starter. Given that I don't even get the clicks, I am betting on the solenoid. The starter is nested under the intake manifold between the engine block and the fire wall, so it is almost impossible to access. I have spent several hours and removed 2 of the 3 bolts and can't get the lower one. I can get a socket on it, but I can't get any swing. I also can't get to the wires to remove the connections. If I ever do get this thing loose, I already know it will be a bear to snake the starter out from it's location, and another issue to reinstall it.

- , Fulton, Missouri, USA

May 252011

Focus SE 2.0L

Now that I replaced the ignition switch and the lock cylinder the damn car wont start. I have no idea what to do now. I have tried everything i can think of....any suggestions??

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

May 102011

Focus LX 2.0L

This car is a 2000 ford focus and it has so many recalls and one that should be and it the ignition that should be replaced, this will be my second time i have had to replace it and it still doesnt seem to help , i heard this keeps going on til your out of money, i need to sell this to someone that doesnt care about being stuck in the boondock, without a chance of getting a ride. thanks they need to fix this or else this car will never sell again, unhappy customer among many .

- , Belen, NM, USA

Oct 092009

Focus 2X3

Car would start without phoblem and run smoothly. After a short trip to the market, you would find that it would not start. It would take several hours of down time before it would start again. The ignition system lights do go on, you could hear the fuel pump running but there is no engagement of the starter. I changed the starter relay and this has not helped.

Finally, after one of the incidents, I took it into Ford so that they could find the problem The car spent almost four working days in the shop and could not duplicate the problem. Found out that this has no relationship to the panel light problem that is also a pain in the ass.

All told the car is great -- but I guess this is beginning to sour my feeling on Ford cars.

- , Schenectady, NY, USA

Dec 292010

Focus ES

My wife went to the movies. She came out and discovered that she couldn't turn the key in the ignition. She jiggled the key for a half an hour and then called a friend to pick her up. I drove out to the car and tried to get it to start for almost an hour. Now I have to pay a tow truck to take it to the dealer. A replacement is going to run me about $480 according to the dealership.

This is ridiculous. Never had any issue like this with any other car in my life!

- , Galloway, OH, USA

Dec 122010

Focus 2.0L 4cyclinder

I have a 2000 Ford Focus & I go to start it and the key ignition works for I had it replaced once already - all electrical is working; when I turn to start though; I get nothing - starter doesn't engage/so car doesn't start. No noise coming from starter - and intermittently it will start. Battery issue? Don't know - put a jumper to it & nothing - any suggestions??

- , Miton, WI, USA

May 212010

Focus ES

after making an attempt to get my check engine light looked at i realized i had gone somewhere where they do not do engine diagnostics. as I am leaving the lot of the place, i put my key in the ignition and the car wont start, ignition locked couldn't even turn it. somehow it locked self from what it felt, the break and the wheel were locked my car is a manual so when parked and placed in neutral can be pushed, but with the steering wheel locked and the break pedal itself stiff pushing it was out of the question. after 3 hours being stranded in Wilmington, California and a few boneheads later these were their solutions.

by the way if you have a chip in your key consider your expenses much more.

a couple mechanics suggested: 1) the grooves in the key are not being read by the pins in the ignition, and the anti-theft system locked itself and the codes from the chip reset; which these cars are known to do. (only half way true...i was told by a rep of ford dealership to bang on the ignition NOT HARD but lightly then try turning the key again surprisingly this actually helped turning the car on i was able to get the to the dealership for more inspections.

2)ignition switch

3)cylinder

the actual problem was the cylinder and the price to fix is estimated 356.00 total including labor.

- , Long Beach, CA, USA

Jun 202007

Focus SE 3.2L

This problem, we thought was an isolated problem until we called out a locksmith which in turn made the comment to us "I can't tell you how many of these I have changed out" !

We have a friend that recently bought a 2004

- , Fall Creek, OR, USA

May 232009

Focus

When I turn the key, the ignition system doesn't seem to be even connected to the engine-- zero response, no matter what I try. The first time, I let it sit awhile and it settled itself out. Three times this has happened, and now nothing works... getting a new battery on the advice of the repair shop, but unsure that is the problem.

- , Beltsville, MD, USA

Feb 202009

Focus LX V6

This car ran beautifully for one whole year then the piece of sh*t started to fall apart first the exhaust fell off, had it repaired 475.00, and after pulling off the lot headed to work to work a couple of double shift to pay for the piece of sh*t the ignition locks up. "UP YOURS FORD" who said American made was the best. Going back to foreign made cars.

- , East Cleveland, OH, USA

May 162008

Focus

My Ford Focus was purchased used in 2002. This car was the model car for six years and truly I have had no trouble. However, two weeks ago, my key wouldn't turn the ignition. This problem was fixed and it turned out that I needed a new cylinder. This was not an electrical or a battery problem. I knew this to be true because my lights and radio were working. This incident happened again in the parking lot of my job. Auto mechanics have troubleshooted this problem to a problem tumbler.

Several mechanics and locksmiths have told me that the 2000 Ford Focus has a design flaw in the steering column. 50 - 60% of these cars have this problem, or will have this problem in the future. .

The next problem, I am buying a new car.

- , White Plains, NY, USA

Jan 012007

Focus ZTS

Every time it rains or gets cold out my door locks lock themselves or when you hit the door lock button once on your keys the horn beeps doesn't do this when it is hot out or normal weather...also get shocked all the time getting in and out of the car...also had short in driver's tail light but ford says my VIN# isn't under recall so $180 to fix it and then half of dash lights blew $125 from Ford to replace light bulb...list of way to many things with this car Ford should pay me for driving it...

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Nov 282007

Focus ES 3.2L

Went to the garage to head to my company paid training class out of town, and could not get the key to go into the ignition. I tried and tried, for almost 15 minutes. Desperate, and starting to stress over being late for my class. I finally was able to get the key in the ignition, and unable to get the key to budge at that point. I called the ford dealership, and they stated that aside from towing, it will cost $350.00 just to replace, and if the ignition cylinder has to be tapped out, could possibly cost upwardly of up to $600.00! I am a working mom of three, and this is an expense, that is kind of ridiculous. I have owned many cars, and NEVER had this problem. Even for a vehicle I have owned from over 10 years. NO IGNITION PROBLEMS! Until this car, a 2000 Ford Focus

- , Middleton, WI, USA

Jun 302007

Focus ZX3 2.0L

Last night, 6/29/07, My wife and my 12 and 10 year old daughters were stuck in a dark rest area on New York HWY 81 when they needed to take a toilet break on a state rest area. It was close to midnight and when it was time to go, She was unable to get the key into the ignition. Needless to say, she was extremely anxious being stuck about 100 miles from nowhere when this problem occurred.

Fortunately we have roadside emergency insurance, however after a 90 minute wait for the tow truck to arrive, she began to get pretty scared as the time got later, and the people got stranger. The driver said "I sees these problems all of the time on the focuses." He simply squirted liquid graphite in the ignition and the key went right in. Soon my wife and daughter were on their way home. Today, (6/30/07) I still have the same problem as I have to jiggle the key when I need to drive. So for the rest of the day I just left the key in the ignition and parked in the garage.

Bottom line, if it takes ford to wait until someone is raped or killed as a result of a stuck ignition, shame on them.

- , Manlius, NY, USA

Jul 062007

Focus SL 2.4L

The car apparently ran out of gas in the driveway upon returning home. Gas (it is "good" gas, just recently purchased) was put in and it will not start. The battery is strong, turns over, but won't start. This car has had electrical problems, and we replaced the starter recently (now THAT was an almost impossible task due to the tight spaces). The car has been nothing but a problem since driven off the dealership lot brand new in 2001. Replaced engine (under warranty), transmission (which is going out again... no reverse), can't get an ignition key made, as we are off the road system and it costs $2000 to have the car flown to the nearest dealer. Can't replace the ignition system, as that requires the fuel line work at the dealership. The key turning problem is the same as others complain about. It has had all kinds of other work done, that I cannot even remember the details of. It's "theft prevention" features are such a farce.... as WHO would want to steal a Ford Focus???? Locking hub nuts that if you lose the key, as we did, you have a terrible problem getting the right tool and "know how" to get them off and replace with regular ones. A necessity where we have to put studded tires on in winter and take them off in spring.

If anyone has heard of problem with it starting after running out of gas and knows what to look for to get it to start... please let us know. We've heard that these cars that have electronic ignition and a ton of "stuff" jammed in the engine area under the hood, are notorious for not being able to get them started after running out of gas.

Any ideas or suggestions?

NatalieB

- , McGrath, AK, USA

Oct 192006

Focus STS Sohc

I have the same problem.

1st time: replaced starter relay, ignition relay, security key relay, battery. then replaced starter and starter - battery wiring harnesses & it worked fine for 2 months. Then had vacuum leak melted battery wiring harness, replaced harness and starter again and still won't start....... HELP, DEALER HAS NO CLUE.

- , Hillsboro, TN, USA

Feb 072007

Focus

My car stalled mid-turn, all interior warning lights illuminated. Won't crank, making clicking noise under dash. After I stopped, my car wouldn't even attempt to start. All lights worked, radio, horn, door locks, but no windows or fans; and the shifter was locked in Park and would not move, even with brake applied. (there is a release button so you can push your car out of where ever it is you stopped)

- , Holtsville, NY, USA

May 092006

Focus ZTS

Car stalled while cruising. Had to be towed to mechanic. Fuses blown, second time to replace ignition switch. Have complained to Ford, hope there will be investigation and recall.

- , Mexico, MO, USA