7.7

2. replace alternator (1 reports)
  3. replaced the starter (1 reports)
2000 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Focus:

2000 Ford Focus Owner Comments

May 012011

Focus

I have a 2000 ZX3 and it sometimes won't start. It comes and goes. Key turns all the idiot lights do their thing, I hear the fuel pump coming on and the relay is clicking to send voltage to the starter. I have swapped it as well. I think it might have something to do with the security system as it does not recognize the key.. I have tried both and nothing I just have to wait it out. Any suggestions.

- , Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada

Aug 182009

Focus SE V4

Alright, I purchased a 2000 Ford Focus SE last year in March, the engine had been blown by the previous owners and thusly the dealership I obtained the car from had a motor placed in it, the car was cheap ($3,000). First off just a couple months ago we had to replace the starter in an engine with less than 60,000 on it! I have no F*ckin idea what is wrong with this car! I put the key in the ignition cylinder turn it back the engine starts but when I release the key it dies!!!! I cannot begin to count the times this has happend to me and no one knows whats wrong with the car...Ford will not even look at it without I pay them $100 for the use of their d@n computer and $100 for an hour of time from a mechanic that wont tell me Sit...this is sad. My family has bought nothing but Fords, and I have never had a problem like this where the dealership continously ignores and or denies the saftey issues of this! I was stranded at the grocery store today because of this car with three kids for an hour! before it would start. Ford refuses to help us and I've taken it to more than one mechanic and the stupid thing starts and runs like a dream for them so there left just as clueless as we are! Ford can kiss my *ss! I am never buying another Ford seeing as to how their customer service is apparently no longer exhistant.

- , Richland, M.O, USA

May 152009

Focus SE V4

Alright this makes the thrid complaitn about the infamous Ford Focus SE....LEMON!!! i bought the car in March of 2008, the previous owners had burnt up the motor so the dealership I had obtained it from had the motor replaced. The motor in the car had only 40,000 miles on it when purchased. I drove the car back and forth to work on a highway till May 2009 when suddenly the car does not start...my poor husband had to stick his hands down in that tight motor area to see if he could figure out what was wrong, of course we start with the easy fixes; ie. fuses, battery, battery cables....(by the by the old battery we took out is still being used in our WD 40 tractor) finally he decides it's the starter, so we replace it two days worth of time and involving me crawling under the car to put it in since my husband's hands wouldn't fit in the tight space and it starts...Well guess what, a few months later we have a new problem which I also reported on this web site....Ford has been no help at all I ask about recalls they always give the run around as in oh the man that handles that isn't here now call back later, obviously this man is either non existent or Ford doesn't want to fess up to their mistakes! In my honest opinion Focus should be taken off the road they are not safe cars...I understand there's regular wear and tear but come on people!!! Lets get realistic here the car cost me 3,000 and it isn't worth fixing. I think if one more thing goes wrong Im going to start a bon fire with it and go buy a Toyota.

- , Richland, M.O, USA

Jan 152008

Focus ES V6

On vacation in a rural area my engine would have trouble starting. I finally diagnosed it as an alternator/solenoid problem. So I used an old golf club to make the arc until I could get it fixed at a more reasonable price. It still was a chunk of change (even with a huge discount the family-friend mechanic gave me). You can't change the alternator on your own, you have to take out the whole engine practically to get to it. Bad designing.

- , Sacramento, California, USA

Feb 262009

Focus ZX3

Alright, and so...this winter the temps reached 30 and below. There is much moisture in the air. It is my belief that the combination effected the engine...it simply wouldn't start or keep running without applying gas. At this point, there has been only ONE occasion in which it wouldn't start AT ALL. No lights, no sound. Like many other complaints the problem is resolved by letting it sit...sometimes overnight. (VERY PROBLEMATIC when stuck in a garage after a 13 hour day). I've taken it to a reputable mechanic who says he can't find the problem unless the engine light is on (sending the signal identifying the problem). Today, i'm picking up my car from the mechanic who is unable to find the source. A friend is suggesting putting in a car of FUEL INJECTION CLEANER. I'll let you know if it works...

- , Nashville, TN, USA

Oct 102008

Focus

i went to start the car this morning and the key wouldn't turn. i tapped on the key with a hammer and got to turn but then when i went to start it i did't get anything!!! no clicks, nothing i have no idea what the hell could be wrong with this thing

- , akron, OH, USA