9.1

1. replaced fuel system (7 reports)
  3. replaced fuel pump (2 reports)
  4. replaced main vacuum hose/fuel filter (1 reports)
2000 Ford Focus fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Focus:

2000 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Aug 272010

Focus Z-TEC 4 cyl

Rough idle and engine killing. Ford Motor Co. sent a letter to owners of the 2000 and 2002 advising that they would extend a free fix warranty to those the experienced problems with engine kill. surging rough idle etc.good for 10 years from date purchased regardless of mileage . My focus died 3 months after the ten year warranty. The defect product is the fuel delivery module or carburetor located in the gas tank. Call Ford at 1-800392-3673 refer to campaign no$ 03N01. Too late for me, but maybe not for you. Bob L

- , Langley, WA, USA

Jul 192008

Focus SE (non-wagon) 2.0L Sohc Split Port

First time it happened I had been driving for a long time and the heat had caused the MAIN VACUUM HOSE to come off the car causing a leak and not allowing the engine to get a proper air supply. Fixed it with a FORD ONLY PART (the parts seller expert at Smith Ford in Conway didn't know if the part he sold me was correct or not. Come to find out he was trying to install it UPSIDE DOWN!!!) An old school mate of mine (Thanks Brian!) fixed it with a piece of water hose. Part cost $40.00. Problem went away.

Second time, after driving for a long time, car started to stall/sputter/go really slow even with the accelerator floored. Made it home, took it to a mechanic. Engine light had also come on which was new this time around. Searched and searched and decided to replace FUEL FILTER. $9.00 part and 20 minutes later my engine light goes off and the car runs fine. I was also told to check the spark plug wires, plugs, PVC(PCV?) valve and fuel pump. The mechanic said that he replaced the filters all the time but that it was the fuel pump that ultimately went out on the Ford Focus'. $250.00+ part so I haven't replaced it yet. Hope this helps people out here on this forum even though some of the posts are a bit old.

- , Greenbrier, AR, USA

Jul 172006

Focus LX

I bought a 2000 Focus LX used. Since day 1, I had nothing but problems with it stalling on me. Whenever I stopped or the gas gauge showed 1/4 of a tank, it would make a knocking noise, lose power, shake and then it would die on me. (Yes, all in that order) I took it to many mechanics who couldn't figure out what was wrong. Finally, one was smart enough to pull the VIN number and it showed that the fuel pump had been recalled. So, I took it into my local Ford dealer, they replaced it (happily at no cost to me) and it has been running excellent ever since.

My only advice is to pull up the VIN and make sure there aren't any recalls!

- , West Valley, Utah, USA

Aug 022008

Focus SE 2.4L V

While driving home on the 158 bypass my engine started to lurch intermittently, did this a few times until finally 5 more miles down the road she quit accelerating and speed began to drop, once she hit 30mph she cut out. Luckily I coasted into a turning lane, the check engine, battery and ignition light came on - I put her in park and started her up while revving the engine and she got home fine (taking back roads and not going above 25mph. Had a similar problem a few years ago and it was just the air filter so I figured maybe that was the cause again. Bought an air filter and replaced it the next day, test drove her around town and she seemed fine. Took her to work the next morning, she did fine, then on the way home she started lurching again, got scared so i turned off on the beach road, she continued to lurch for a while until finally she once again cut out on me a few miles up the road. I did manage to get her into a driveway (sort of) before the tires locked up. Once again started up as I revved the engine. Took her to a mechanic yesterday, they had her all day and could not duplicate or find one problem wrong with her. Was very surprised to find on the internet so many people with the same problem and more surprised that it seems Ford is doing nothing about it. I can officially say I hate this car now, am totally scared to drive it and WILL NEVER PURCHASE A FORD VEHICLE AGAIN!

- , Kdh, NC, USA

May 252007

Focus SE

While driving, the car will start to kick all of a sudden and as I try to accelerate it will lose power to the point that I have to pull off the highway and restart the car. This happens frequently and so far nobody really knows what the problem is. I've had the gas filter changed, the plugs and wiring changed twice in the last 5 months and still have the same damn problem. It's gotten to the point where i'm seriously thinking of changing cars.(Definitly not another FORD)

- , Valleyfield, Quebec, Canada

Oct 172007

Focus TAM 2.0L

Car kept stalling and acting like it was going to shut down while I was driving. Had to get a new coil pack and new EGR tube. That repair was 800 bucks and while I had that done I had the 90,000 mile checkup. It seemed allright and then not a month later, the engine overheated on me in the middle of rush hour. Needed to replace a fuse and it seemed to work fine for a month until it overheated again. hate the car.

- , Denver, CO, USA

Mar 122007

Focus ZX3 2.0

I have only owned this car a month and a half. When I bought it I was so happy with the economy and the style. Worked out great. Then I have electrical problems and heating problems... to top it off I am driving off the NYS I90 and then the car cuts out as I am exiting the thruway. Just like that!! No warning lights ... nothing.. I took it to the dealer to see if it could be repleaced.. THE ONLY WAY FORD WILL REPLACE NO CHARGE IS IF THE CODES COME UP? Even the dealer knew what was wrong with it defore they looked at it!!

- , Tonawanda, New York, USA

Mar 102007

Focus LX 2.0 SPI

I read all these problems and they all seem like what I had... Stalling on the interstate, on hills and just about every place that is hell... I know ford sucks on recalls but I had baught two junk yard fuel pumps on day and none of them worked so then I called my local ford dealer and come to find out there is a recall on the pump... I guess theres a computer glitch that causes the pump to stop... It cost me nothing but a headache... PEOPLE PLEASE CALL YOUR LOCAL FORD DEALER ON THIS IT WILL SAVE ALOT OF TIME....

DENIS

- , South China, Maine, USA

Feb 212007

Focus ZX3

This car, which my parents bought for me less than a year ago, has been giving me nothing but problems. But the most recent and worst problem has been my car stalling while I am driving. It doesn't do it all the time, and when I tell the mechanics the problems I am having, they say there is nothing wrong. I don't know how the mechanic can drive my car for 2 hours straight and not have problems, but the day i get it back, it acts up again. This is really starting to piss me off. The trips home that usually take me 4 hours, now take me around 7 because of the constant stop-go of my trip due to this problem.

- , Jupiter, Florida, USA

Aug 102006

Focus ZX3

My car slowed down and then completely cut out on I-17 in Phoenix. I took it back to the dealership and I was told that there was no problem. Two weeks later it cut out on the 101 in Phoenix, my family could have been killed. I pulled on the shoulder and it took 4 starts and stops to get it back home. I found out from the web that there is a recall on Fords due to improper Fuel Delivery Systems. I took it to the Ford Dealer and they Replaced the entire system. I only had to pay $80 for a new filter. The car works fine now. Please check your recalls for your car. My car had a total of 14 recalls and you have 10 years from the original purchase to report these. I just bought my car 3 months ago, but it is 6 years old.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 302006

Focus EX

My car sputters, and either flirts with stalling or completely stalls out on the road... a real safety hazard. I had it into the dealer in Battle Creek at least twice for the same symptoms... the second time for a recall on the fuel system. They would not refund me the money from the previous job even though it was for the exact same symptoms. The symptoms have been prevailing for three years now, no repair has straightened it out. It seems to run better in dry cold weather... it is at its worst during changes in the weather pattern or humid heat.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 232006

Focus Zx3 Kona

The first time i noticed it i was traveling on I40 to wilmington and my car would not respond to me pressing the gas, the check engine light began flashing and i had to pull over. I stopped for awhile and check to see what was going on but nothing visibly was wrong. This continued my entire trip. Once i was a able i got it checked out and the only thing that comes up on the reader is that i have a emissions leak. I replaced the spark plugs wires and fuel filter but this only aleviated some of the problem it still continues to stall out and i dont knw what to do. It should be called a F*CK US... And what sucks even more is I just finished paying for it this month.

- , Wallace, NC, USA

Apr 152006

Focus SE

was driving my car when all of a sudden the car started to idle really bad, all the dash instrument lights came on, lost steering, then it would not accelerate, had to coast off to the side of the road trying not to get into an accident. the engine stopped, after a few minutes it started up and I was able to drive it a little more, played that game until I finally got the car home. This has happened before but not this bad, I gave the car a good tune up, replaced all the plug wires and plugs, all filters including the fuel filter, it helped temporarly

- , Summereville, SC, USA

Mar 132006

Focus ZX3

im in houtson rush hour traffic the opening night of the Houston Rodeo. going n on i45. from downtown all the way to Spring (hardy toll road) i had to pull over left and right because at first i couldn't accelerate then after 30 seconds or so i couldnt even maintain speed. i was nearly killed. thought i was out of gas but i had almost half a tank. fuel efficiency has dropped a lot as far as i can tell.

- , Waco, TX, USA

Nov 052005

Focus SE

I was driving in the highway when suddenly my car STOPPED in the middle of the road going about 60 miles per hour.... I placed it on neutral since the car was still running and cars were behind me beeping and turned it on again.. and it would drive for about 2 minutes and then die again.. until i was able to pull out of the road and find a mechanic which charged me $585 he had to change the whole gas fuel system.. :( JUST AWFUL.

- , Mount Vernon, NY, USA