2001 Ford Focus body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Focus:

2001 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Jan 192016

Focus

Takata airbag deployed after the car had come to a stop. Ali stopped to avoid hitting a car that had suddenly braked in front of her. There was no damage to the car in front her as ali was able to stop in time, but there was major damage to her car. When the takata airbag deployed it burnt her left forearm/hand and incurred $107 in medical expenses. Caliber collision says that to repair the car it would cost ali $7,639.37.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Dec 312001

Focus

Driving Ford Focus slowly in snow, a Jeep spun out of control hit the drivers side front of car spun around and hit us again from the rear.airbag deployed and it my passenger full in face. Damaged her face with chemical burns and created a coroidital tear in her eye that is permanent and permanent vision loss in one eye. The impact of the airbag jarred her brain and she now has a brain injury called chiari malformation,

- Kingwood, WV, USA

Apr 102015

Focus 4-cyl

While driving a 2001 Ford Focus SE and navigating a curve, the rear drivers side door failed to remain secure and suddenly opened while vehicle was in motion. Upon attempting to close the door, it appears the door latch does not engage and the door cannot be closed secure. Upon further inspection, there is significant corrosion around the latch mechanism. The door must be manually restrained with ropes to remain closed.

- Sussex, NJ, USA

Mar 032014

Focus

On our Ford Focus, the exterior door handle, on the front driver's side does not work. You can reach in the window (or lean over ctr console) to pull the handle and open it. The handle on the outside is stuck in the full pulled out position, and cannot be forced in even. The back door started not working periodically. I thought the problem on the back door may be the child safety locks being on. I opened the rear door, inserted the key, and rotated it. As far as I could tell, there was no change. You could pull on the inside, and outside handle, and the mechanism seemed to be working, so I closed the door....before changing the rotation back. Now, the door will not open from the inside or outside. This concerns me if there were an accident, or fire, the person in the back seat may not be able to exit. I would like to know if there is a way to reset the child door locks-without opening the door (since the door will not open)?

- Hoschton, GA, USA

Mar 032014

Focus

On our Ford Focus, the exterior door handle, on the front driver's side does not work. You can reach in the window (or lean over ctr console) to pull the handle and open it. The handle on the outside is stuck in the full pulled out position, and cannot be pushed in. The back driver's side door started periodically started having problems opening. I thought the problem with the back door may be due to the child safety locks being engaged. I opened the rear door, inserted, and rotated the key. As far as I could tell, there was no change. You could pull the handle on the inside, and outside, and the mechanism seemed to be working, so I closed the door....before changing the rotation back. Now, the door will not open any, from the inside, or outside. This is a great concern because if there was an accident, or fire, the person in the back seat may not be able to exit this vehicle. I would like to know: Is there a way to reset the child safety locks, without opening the door (since this door will not open)?

- Hoschton, GA, USA

Jan 052014

Focus 4-cyl

Sunday 05 Jan 2014 I had recently parked my car, turned it off, and was outside of my vehicle (2001 Ford Focus) when I began to notice smoke coming from the hood of the vehicle. I was confused at first, as the car was completely off for a few minutes before any problems began. Within a matter of two minutes the smoke had increased, thickened, and began to smell. My friend was nearby and had noticed that something was not right. He came over and we both took a couple steps toward the front of the car to figure out what was going on. Immediately flames burst up from the hood. At this point we instantly ran from the vehicle, dialing 911. The flames got worse as we waited from a distance for the fire department to arrive. At this point I was unsure as to whether the car would completely blow up or not, as the flames became worse with every minute. The fire department arrived within approximately five minutes. They were able to put the fire out in a few minutes, but had to break the window and then pry the hood open in order to do so. After the fire was completely out and the scene was safe I was able to talk with the firemen. They showed me under the hood and said the fire seemed to be something electrical and looked as if it had started near the front right of the vehicle under the hood (somewhere close to the passenger headlight). They also explained, as I had already assumed, that the vehicle was unsalvageable.

- Petersburg, MI, USA

Apr 162013

Focus

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the liftgate wires failed. There was also a crack in the seam of the liftgate window and rain water was able to enter the veihcle. The failure caused the wires to short and melt. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the wiring needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 128,000.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Aug 252012

Focus 4-cyl

Rear door will not stay latched and swings wide open.

- Gouldsboro, PA, USA

Aug 012011

Focus

The latches on three of the doors either do not latch which makes the door fly open or it latches and doesn't open, after inspection the latches are so corroded with rust that they do not work at all. Before I realized that the door wasn't latching I had a propane tank for a grill in the back seat when I made a right hand turn and it hit the door and the door flew open and the tank went flying down the street and almost hit a pedestrian. There have been recalls on this but my VIN # isn't on the recall but should be! I was quoted over $800 to fix the doors. This is a safety issue and I shouldn't have to pay for it.

- Hartland, WI, USA

Dec 072009

Focus

Water leaks onto the passenger side floor in the front.. apparently from a defective seal on the bottom of the windshield.

- York, PA, USA

Jul 022006

Focus 4-cyl

Water leak into the front passenger foot well. Started in July, went back to the dealer three times, final time was told it needs to go to a body shop, possible defective body panel issues?

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jul 052004

Focus 4-cyl

My question regards to see if there is a recall about water in the passenger side floor. But there is nothing wrong with the car. Its just that water comes into the passenger floor when it raining. Example= driving for a while when it is raining the floor becomes wet. But after it dries out, there is no water. Even on sunny days. I hope what I've typed makes since. Because that is the best that I can explain it. Thank you for your time. Rodney ray note''''' there was no accident so the one that is in the incident date is not for real''''''''''''''''''''because this site won't lety me pass without one.

- Chatsworth, GA, USA

Oct 312003

Focus 4-cyl

The floor board on the passenger's side had two inches of water on the floor. The driver took the vehicle to the dealer for analysis. The mechanic noticed that the water was coming in through the cowling.

- Bangor, ME, USA

May 292002

Focus 4WD

Excessive dust and dirt entering car. Believed to be coming in through the rear doors. Have had the car at the dealership 5 or more times for repairs for the excessive dust problem. Dealership has failed to fix the problem... car is now just above miles for warranty coverage and Ford will not respond to phone calls. There is a serious defect in the structure causing inside of rear doors to be covered in dust and as driving car dust leaks into car creating a circulating cloud of dust floating inside the car. Daughter has allergies and causing major problem. Hard to even breath while driving car down 1 mile of gravel road. Dealership says they have done all they can and Ford is refusing to even look at the problem being that the car is now out of warranty. Problem first begain shortly after purchase. Dust continued to worsen so reported to dealership May 2002. Dealership has worked on vehicle 5 times since May 2002. Dust continues to worsen. Ford refusing to help. Cannot keep anything in car or will be layered in dust. Rear doors becoming impossible to open unless oiled at least once a week... must clean car (dust interior) at least once a week if not more often due to so much dust layering inside of doors, seats are full of dust.

- Milford, NE, USA

Jun 072002

Focus

Bought the car from karlson motors in ketchikan ak where we reside at. On June 7, 2002 needed to take the car to the dealership for a water leak on the front floorboard on the passenger side. On July 8, 2002 had to take the car back to the dealership for another water leak in the trunk. On augus 9, 2002 had to take the car back to the dealership for another water leak on the front floorboard on the passenger side. On August 22, 2002 called the dealership for yet another water leak on the front floorboard on the passenger side. However the service department was not able to get the car into the repair shop until August 27, 2002. We have had rain now for 5 consective days. The water is thick and smells really bad inside the car. Now I want to know what is the water damage to my carpet and under the carpet. I have requested for a different vehicle preferbly one that doesnt leak water. I live in ketchikan ak where it is a rain forest. It rains over 200 inches a year. I also have asthma and allergies, mold and mildew are not kind to my body. I needed to do a breathing treatment to assit with my asthma so that I can breathe more easliy. I have called and talked to the dealership and they said there is nothing that they can do except keep fixing my car. I called the headquarters of Ford and that was the same comment. I dont feel that they are treating this properly. The car was close to $16,000. I dont feel that I should have to keep taking it to the dealership to keep getting it fixed. For the price of the car it shouldnt have any problems in the first place. I feel that I have bought a lemon and no one in the Ford company wants to listen. I am hoping that this goes in the correct hands and something can be done about this.

- Ketchikan, AK, USA

Jul 012002

Focus

At no particular speed, vehicle jerks hard and stalls. Consumer had vehicle checked and repaired by dealer with no resolution.*akthe dealer is having consumer to monitor the vehicle when it starts failing, by pushing a button. This is supposed to pinpoint where the problem is occuring. The vehicle was downshifting while in motion, the sending unit was replaced. Also the jerking and stalling were caused by an erratic fuel pump driver module. This module has also been replaced. The ignition lock was replaced, there was a clunking noise present in the door assembly which was repaired, the wheel was out of alignment so dealer adjusted the upper ball joint, and the sun visor was broken which was also replaced.

- Pennyan, NY, USA