2001 Ford Focus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Focus:

2001 Ford Focus Owner Comments

May 262005

I first noticed a roaring sound coming from my right front wheel about 2 weeks ago. I took my car in today to the local Ford dealership and was told that the entire right front axel assembly needs to be replaced. I asked how this could have happened and they couldn't tell me. I was told by the dealership that my car was unsafe to drive. I don't feel that this is something that just happened over the last 2 weeks nor do I think I did anything to cause something like this to happen. After reading other complaints on this site I realized it could possibly be a manufacturing defect. I called the Ford company in Michigan and asked what they do about vehicles that are unsafe to drive and was basically told that there was nothing they could do. I did tell the gentleman about the complaints that I had seen on this site and again he told me there was nothing they could do. I guess if someone gets killed due to these "unsafe" vehicles then someone would do something about it which is a shame.

- Cartersville, GA, USA

Mar 122003

When the vehicle was in park, the left axle snapped which caused the vehicle to roll backwards and caused an accident.

- Medomak, ME, USA

May 202002

Told waldorf Ford that the car was leaning was told this is normal. Went out of town and a family member looked at it and said, "did you know your rear axle is bent and the wheels are brring inward." I told them what we were told, they said we need to take it back & have Ford fix it. Ford refuses to take our calls to make appointment to fix.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Feb 152002

The bushings failed ruining the back tires. The door locks have a mind of their own which could be dangerous in an accident and Ford has been unable to diagnose the problem. The steering column was loose and they discovered broken parts in there. There is an undiagnosed problem with as scraping noise as I turned a corner into a parking lot. We are afraid to drive it, every time we do something else happens to it.

- Greenfield, CA, USA

Jun 252001

Some of the brake components are covered in rust, dealer stated that this is a common problem due to a protectant not being used during manufacturing, rust is very severe and alxes are beginning to rust, consumer is very concerned, dealer will not make repairs unless consumer pays for costs or until a recall is issued.

- New Port Beach, CA, USA