1.4

2001 Ford Focus fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Focus:

2001 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Dec 162015

Focus

Had good tune up, car was doing good and now just as I have read problems with the fuel system, is exactly what happened out of nowhere starts giving me issues starting and staying running.after testing I have 90%of fuel pressure which should only be 40-45 max"??"was checked in shop over a week and looking through recalls I believe it is a defect in the fuel system the fuel is going somewhere but not allowing car to run.to take off there is no taking off, like the oedal does nothing just for looks.would like to hear back.

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Feb 242016

Focus

As described in NHTSA action number EA02022, car stalls at below 1/4 tank, particularly on right hand turns.

- Gorham, ME, USA

Jul 142015

Focus

When vehicle has ideled or traveled at slow speeds for a long period, the vehicle will not accelerate. It will also stall has lost fuel efficiency and driver can smell fuel. Mechanic states the fuel rail pressor sensor is leaking. Mechanic states part is on national back order. One can only assume that back order is caused by same or simillar malfunction.

- Rosedale, MD, USA

May 032015

Focus

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled sporadically at various speeds. The failure occurred when making a right turn or when low on fuel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel pump failed. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 135,000.

- Allen Town, PA, USA

Oct 162014

Focus

1.engine fades or loses power rapidly during execution of freeway- speed turns (off ramps for example) without braking; I have gone from 50 to 20 mph within 1-2 seconds while in front of another vehicle and semi (very dangerous). The vehicle was tuned and typical parts replaced for smog check a few months ago and passed smog check without comments. This problem started around 100K and has happened to other drivers who borrow my car. The Ford dealership (serramonte Ford) was unable to recreate the problem so I paid 150 dollars for a can of fuel additive and lost use of the car for 8 hour even though I was asked to drop it off start of morning. 2. now it stutters or hesitates during high acceleration (ie passing lane or going uphill) on highway; the vehicle is no longer reliable esp. If you should need to rapidly increase power. I have read of possible connection related to either a fuel pump or debris from the fuel tank inner coating/material composition degrading over time.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Jun 202014

Focus 4-cyl

Slow acceleration, loss of power, surging, hesitation, stalling.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Feb 112014

Focus

TL * the contact owns a 2001 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, she attempted to make a right turn when the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle but after driving for a several minutes the failure recurred. The contact stated that the vehicle had been repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 03V482000 (fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 162,000.

- Ytsilanti, MI, USA

Nov 222011

Focus

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. In addition, the vehicle was consuming far more fuel than rated. The contact did not take the vehicle to a dealer or mechanic for diagnostic testing or repairs. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Sep 012013

Focus

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that the fuel pump had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 110,000. The current mileage was 127,598.

- Sandston, VA, USA

Jul 232013

Focus

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle began surging and then stalled. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic where it was determined that the fuel delivery module failed. The mechanic told the contact that there was a recall for the fuel delivery system, but when the contact spoke with the manufacturer regarding NHTSA campaign id number:03V482000 (fuel system) they were told that the vehicle was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 109,000.

- Moses Lake , WA, USA

Jun 122008

Focus

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated to 30 mph. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the roadway for a brief moment. The failure recurred sporadically over a span of four years. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who stated that the fuel delivery would need to be replaced. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 03V482000 ( fuel system, gasoline), which the VIN was included, however the recall was expired. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was displeased to know that he was not notified of the recall in a reasonable time for the vehicle to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Heath, OH, USA

Jun 102013

Focus

I have a 2001 Ford Focus LX with 199,871 miles on it and its my first Ford car. I have owned many of Ford trucks in my life and always fixed problems with them myself. But with my Focus, every time in the past 4 years when I turn a corner roughly around 15 mph or over, it cuts out and the car bogs out and jumps like the engine is going to jump out then I get a bad smell almost like sulfur coming from the car. All fluid levels are good with a full gas tank. This happens whether the car is hot or cold. Usually I can just punch the gas pedal to the floor and it will eventually gain RPM's again and go with no problems until I turn sharp again. I have recently replaced spark plugs and cables, alternator, transmission and clutch plate, fuel pump and various PCV valves and hoses. Had the fuel pressure tested and it was fine. This problem has been consistent like this for the past 4 years with no other problems. I have always been a Ford guru but this car is making me think twice. I have 2 small children that go with me almost everywhere with me and just today as I turned a corner getting on the highway ramp, it bogged out worse then ever with many angry drivers on my tail. I thought I was going to crash the car into the guard rail. I hit the pedal to the floor like I usually do and it started going again, but in fifth gear it kept jumping and cutting out. I turned off the side of the road to turn the car off then back on and it ran fine all the way home. I have read many forums with the same issues on my make and model and tried many solutions with no luck. With your expertise, do you have any ideas why this is happening. I see this problem allot with Focus but never any working solutions.

- Bellingham, WA, USA

Jul 012012

Focus 4-cyl

Driving on 4 lane highway, car sputters and stalls as if out of gas. Coasted off road, and after a few minutes car started and ran fine. Car has been doing this every few weeks. Changed coil, plugs, plug wires, oxygen sensor, fuel filter, cat converter and still stalls. This car is dangerous when it stalls in fast traffic. We only drive it now during daylight and short trips because it is not dependable.

- Ford City, PA, USA

Dec 152002

Focus

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph the vehicle stalled without any warnings. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and an independent mechanic for diagnostic. The technician and mechanic stated that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 03V482000 (fuel system, gasoline) that might be related to the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 122010

Focus

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Focus. The contact was traveling 30-60 mph when the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle decelerated and stalled. The contact stated that the failure only occurred when driving in warm, humid conditions. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic and the manufacturer was contacted who confirmed that the VIN failed to qualify for repairs under NHTSA campaign id number: 03V482000 (fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 96,000.

- St Michael, MN, USA

Jul 272012

Focus 4-cyl

On 7/27/2012, the car caught on fire while being driven. The smoke started coming into the interior through the vents. When attempting to pull over, there was no brake (my guess is that the brake line had melted.). my husband used the E brake and park to stop and someone yelled...get out of the car.my husband and son jumped out and the car became engulfed. There is nothing left. He told me that just before that it started hesitating some, like it was going to cut off, but didn't. for a more detailed statement please contact him. I am so thankful that they got out... thank you,

- Martinsburg, WV, USA