2001 Ford Focus fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Focus:

2001 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Oct 122005

Focus 4-cyl

Was driving vehicle home early in the morning of the 12th when I heard a loud clunk, and then the sound of something dragging under my car. I pulled over to see my gas tank had fallen out and was being dragged under the car. Another car pulled up behind me because he had seen sparks coming from the mounting bracket as it was being dragged along with the tank. A policeman also pulled up behind me and looked at the car, then helped me move it out of the street. Later that morning my father temporarily wired the gas tank to the frame so we could bring the car home. He put it up on ramps and looked underneath to see that the bolt which held the gas tank in place had stripped completely out. He spent the next 3 hours remounting the tank. It was a blessing that the sparks from the broken frame did not ignite the gas tank. If it had, my car could have either caught on fire or blown up and I could have been seriously injured or killed.

- Westminster, CO, USA