2001 Ford Focus miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Focus:

2001 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 302002

Focus

Seat belt would not stay locked. Ignition key would only go part way into ignition, could not start vehicle. Had vehicle towed to dealer.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Jun 182002

Focus

Engine light comes on and stays on. Vehicle will not accelerate properly, and has a rough idle. Replaced sensor and fuel pump.

- New Castle, PA, USA

Mar 082002

Focus

Have had numerous problems with the car hesitating and stalling. Have taken the car in a total of 7 times. 5 of which were related to hesitation. 3 of the those 5 times they found problems with the car. 2 times for an egr emissions sensor and 1 for a fuel pump (they think). The other two times they coulndt find anything wrong at the time. I have called Ford directly and they can do nothing about the car, because they say it is repairable. I have had the car back now for a little over a week since they have replaced the fuel pump. Seems to have a little hesitation still, but has not stalled. We have had the left rear tire replace once for cupping of the tire. Ford dealership wasnt sure what caused it, but they say I could have run over something hard. The new tire starting cupping like the one they replaced, then that is when the recall for the rear wheel bearings was issued. No problems since then with the tires.

- Osceola, WI, USA

May 182002

Focus

At 75 mph engine light come on, and then vehicle started to stall. Cause unknown. Dealer notified.

- Nothwood, OH, USA

Jun 092002

Focus

The problem is that the car always shakes when its in park or at a stop light and it stalled 2 time. Have taken it to dealer numerous times and still cant find the problem.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 242001

Focus

My vehicle has just been turned into our dealership this morning, for the same repeated problem of engine check light coming on while driving vehicle. This is our 5th visit, and we are on our 4th egr valve. Same complaint, the car drives sluggishly, shutters and about 2 months ago shut off while driving. This happened while my 14 year old daughter were driving the vehicle traveling through a major intersection at night. We were in the process of a left hand turn, at this particular intersection, 2 lanes of traffic are turning left at the same time. We were on the inside lane, making our turn and the Focus shut off. We were nearly rear ended, and barely avoided a large intersection accident with traffic behind us quickly braking and swerving into the other lane. It was terrifying! we have had the fuel pump replaced, and each time of our complaint, the dealer cannot diagnosis the direct problem. I have read numerous articles regarding other Ford Focus vehicles having similar problems. Just recently have read about the paint chipping off from the inside of the gas tank, causing a blockage, so that fuel cannot flow through into the pump. There is a definite problem. How many other Focus owners are experiencing these same repeated difficulties? I purchased this vehicle for a good reliable car for my 16 year daughter to eventually have, and considering the experiences I have had with shuttering, shut offs..do not want to put her behind the wheel of this car for safety reasons. Our paperwork from the dealership seems to accumulating, with no direct answers.

- Wixom, MI, USA

Apr 292002

Focus

While driving my 2001 Focus wagon on interstate off ramps it starts to stall and hesitate. The rpms drop out with absolutly no power. This has happened numerous times and is really scary. The last time it happened was yesterday while iwas merging from a ramp and my car died out infront of a semi trying to get onto the ramp.I pulled over as far as I could to get out of his way he locked up his brakes. I take this same ramp all the time since its onmy way home from work. This problem starts if I let the gas get below a 1/2 tank. I been to the dealer and they can't find anything wrong. I am bringing it back tomorrow again to have they find the problem. I am at my wits end with this. I told my family about the problem and said if I get killed in an accident on a ramp it because of the problem of it dying. And to go after Ford for this. My family has been in the car when this happens so they know what I am talking about. I went over your other complaints about this vehiscle/ it is unreal the amount of problems that I have in common with them, it worrys me. I was going to give this car to my daughter to drive she 16 but not now. I want her to come home in one piece. I have had a water noise in the dash they cant find, sticking gas pedal now fix for noe after 2 times in the shop. The oil smell in the car. Leaking oil I see in in the driveway but can't seem to find where its comming from. I wish I knew more about the lemon law a couple of months ago. It doesn't apply to me now because of my mileage. I drive about 100 miles a day. If you have any question please contact me. Thank you.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 152001

Focus

Purchased car in December 2000 within days brakes squealing and grinding..called dealer said to let wear in..problem persisted..engine light came on..took car to nearest D dealership..in January 2001..brakes shoes back and pads on front replaced. Oxygen sensor, and parking brake replaced..brakes still had problem engine light still on..took to dealership where purchased..kept 12 days..brakes adjusted and computor and ignition were replaced..light off..brakes still trouble..took back numerous times..for check-ups..at 16,000 told brakes need to be replaced in front and tires where all worn away on inside of tire..bald!!..manufactor and dealer would not pay for..replaced all four tires, alignment, and new brakes put on front brakes..car still not right with brakes..shaking violently of car while braking at any speed. Or going downhill.took back to dealership rotors were no good as well as front brakes. They replaced..inner tires already wearing out...brakes still giving noise and grinding..took back within month..they said fine..took back again when oil changed..brakes where said to be fine..brakes noisy and grinding as usual..3 weeks later brakes failed..had car towed to dealership....they state needs new brakes on front and backshoes cracked and need new rotors...they keep saying its the way we drive car...no way..never had this much problem with any brakes in any car we have owned...car is very unsafe and made with inferior products.. (tiresize: 15)

- Middletown, CA, USA

Aug 282001

Focus

Avance trac control doesn't engage and/or mulfunctions-disabling it total. Many elect problems. Twice it has shut down on interstate I40 at rate of speed of 50 and 60 and once at maybe 5 mph in the driveway. When it shuts down there is no warning. Other problems w/this car have been radio had to be replaced, fuel pump module, key gets stuck and key willn't turn.

- Waynesville, NC, USA

Jul 172001

Focus

Electrical door opener will not operate while vehicle is still running. Dealer was notified. Feel free to provide any further information.

- Bloomfield, NJ, USA

Oct 052000

Focus

Dash lights flashed on and off several times then quit

- Calgary Albert Canada, AK, USA