2001 Ford Focus miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Focus:

2001 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 211999

Focus

I bought the car drove it off the lot about 3 hours I had to get it towed. The dealer got it back for 6 months an finally I got it back. Now it is doing the same thing. Battery cables have damage. Cranks but won't start.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Jul 152015

Focus

My car will lose speed going up hills and start to act like it's running out of gas. I have had it go dead while going down the road and the steering become hard to move. It surges going at very low speeds of about 10-15 mph and jerks. Sometimes the even going on straight roads where there are no hills the car starts to act like it's running out of gas and die. The only thing that showed when I had it checked was the throttle body position sensor which I replaced and now says out of range and no one knows why.

- Alexander City, AL, USA

Nov 072009

Focus

Failed ignition key lock caused my car to stall and freeze in place. Preventing me from restarting my car in traffic. Additionally, I was unable to unlock the steering wheel to guide the car off the road to a safe place. This has happened once during my ownership of the vehicle, and was repaired using Ford parts, at a non-Ford mechanic. Cost approximately $350.

- S. Deerfield, MA, USA

Jun 032008

Focus

2001 Ford Focus with various defects. Consumer states that the vehicle has had work done numerous times and has the same problems listed in the recalls but her vehicle is not listed in the recall. She would like Ford to replace the vehicle.

- Texas City, TX, USA

May 012005

Focus 4-cyl

Consumer in may received a recall notice. The letter was for three or four parts. When she contacted the dealership, they didn't have the parts and they had to be ordered. They were not yet in. Consumer did not contact the manufacturer about the problem. The information on the recall, the parts or number were not available.

- Albany , GA, USA

Oct 102002

Focus 4-cyl

I own a 2001 Ford Focus. Problems started one month after purchase. Window wiper motor blew but was under warrenty. Then after warrenty expired everything started to go wrong. Trunk hood would not latch closed, then door latches started to stick, then had to climb into passenger seat to open drivers side door because it would not unlock and door handle plays games and opens door when it wants to. Fuel pump had a recall, thank god because I kept stalling on highway. Then while driving home from work the back passenger side door flew open on highway, almost caused accident. Then engine blew with only 123,000 miles on it. I have all oil change records to prove engine oil was changed every 3,000 miles give or take 20. Engine had to be replaced and that left me without a car for a week. Paid $1900 for an engine from a totaled Focus. Called Ford Motor Company and they told me to hold my engine receipt so that when and if they get any complaints maybe in 2 years or so I'll get a refund. Total money that I have put in car is over $4,000 and it's still not paid off yet. Now I need a new front axle because that is going bad. Why can't Ford help me when I have questions and why is it when I go to a dealer and they can't help and then I call company itself they go and call dealer I went to and they go by what dealer mechanic says and not customer. I will never buy another Ford again. And now the dealer I bought it from went of of business.

- Hawley, PA, USA

Jul 172003

Focus

Consumer struck guardrail when she tried to avoid another collision. (nar)

- Shafter, CA, USA

Nov 092004

Focus

Water leaks from somewhere inside the car onto the passenger side floor board. The first time was in 2002. It was "corrected" by a Ford authorized dealer service department and still leaks. When ever it rains the floor board fills with water and when the water dries it smells of mildew. Loss of hundreds of dollars to remove smell. I'm not sure if I should contact a lawyer about the lemon law.

- Live Oak, TX, USA

Feb 202003

Focus

Nar 03/05/2003 enclosed is a copy of a invoice billed to the consumer for parts that were not installed by service dealer.

- Anacortes, WA, USA

Mar 152003

Focus

My warranty was 36,000 which is up. Fixing the brakes was no problem but I dont feel my wheel bearings need replaced this quickly without having some kind if default in them from the start. My car is making this loud, roaring sound, which is driving me crazy. I'm writing to see if there's anything the headquarters of Ford can do. There are recalls on 2001 Ford focuses but just so happen not on my car and why is that when im having complications with it. It sounds like a tractor and ive only had the car for 16 months. I was a student in dallas and that was the only traveling I did. I'm not hard on vehicles at all. The wheel bearing are gone bad on my car and I hope there's something someone can do. Its the front ones. By the way it doesn't seem as if my transmission is changing the correct # of gears.

- Ferriday, LA, USA

Mar 152003

Focus

In November of 2002, I noticed a squeal under the hood of my 2001 Focus. The first time I took it in, they claimed they heard no sound. I then told the mechanic you must actually step out of the car to hear the noise.; he did hear the noise and Ford had to replace the belt tensioner and serpentine belt. I began noticing that my windshield wipers would function at will. The left headlamp and turn signal was also malfunctioning. I could not get the wipers to turn off at times. I would turn the headlights off and back on again, and the wipers would turn off. This would also work at times when the wipers would not turn on, but not always. I never noticed an absolute consistency as to what would get the wipers to function properly. They also would not function at the correct speed. They would go fast when I wanted them to go slow and vice-versa. I had taken the car in twice to have this problem fixed. They replaced the multi function switch both times. A week following the second visit, I noticed they would not work again. I scheduled an appointment for the third time. In between the time I scheduled the appointment and the actual day of the appointment, I noticed the gas light had come on when I still had about 36 miles worth of gas left in my car. I noticed the light was on for a bit and then it went off. So, I told them about that problem as well when I took the car in. They replaced the fuel pump and sending unit assembly. Also they replaced whatever wires were causing the multi function switch to go out again and again. I left the dealership and made a stop at a convenience store. When I tried to start my car, it would not start. Not a sound or anything. The car was totally dead. I called Ford to have them tow the car. This time, they claimed they needed to replace the clutch safety start switch, which they did. My breaks also squeak constantly. They adjusted the breaks and clean them up. They claim the squeaking breaks are normal. Do not buy a Ford.

- Blue Bell, PA, USA

Jan 152003

Focus

Has not been repaired yet. The ignition locked up and the key was unable to be placed into the ignition fully, nothing moved, nothing worked. Upon repeated attempts the car was finally towed and nothing has come out of it. I have heard of this happening to other 2001 Focus', but still I hear nothing of this from Ford dealerships. I also have heard rumors of numerous recalls for the 2001 Focus', but still I only find 2 released. I'm just feeling like a used consumer that has been taken advantage of.

- Westminster, MA, USA

Dec 152002

Focus

There is just to much paperwork to copy out, but would like to mail copies. I am going to pick up car this afternoon just had second fuel pump fitted and new gas tank. To date no recall info received by post. However I have been drenched with gas on more than one occassion while filling car. I have nearly been killed when car cut out at 55mph on highway narrowly missed by two other motorists. Vehicle has 38,000 miles & has had the following repairs. 1/countless engine sensors 2/four new tyres 3/new front brake pads 4/new front brake rotas 5/new front wheel bearings 6/two fuel pumps 7/one fuel tank 8/waiting for third set of a frame plastic covers 9/three stereo players 10/tracklink reset three times 11/still have realy noisy brakes 12/engine sounds like 10 year old car 13/rear passenger window works when feels like it 14/right hand door speaker sounds as if broken 15/new tires fitted showing signs of odd wear 16/tail gate leakes water 17/ thought Lincoln/Mercury dealer might give better results no just longer wait.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Dec 152003

Focus

My daughter slammed on the brakes at 40mph and the vehicle steering wheel jerked to the right and she felt a drop in the left front side of the car, the car started sliding and hit a curb. When the car came to a stop the front left wheel was broke off. A tow truck took it to the Ford dealership. They said it needed a control arm; hub assembly; tie rod end; tire & wheel; axle; brake line; brake pads & rotor; trans pan and inner tie rod. They concluded it was in an accident and it was her fault and the cost would be $2,387.77 just for the mechanical only. She purchased the car September of 2002, putting over $8,000 down on the day of purchase with a remaining balance of $6,000. At the time of the accident she had no insurance. I beleive there was a problem with car to cause it to go out of control, and feel Ford needs to address it.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 152003

Focus

My 2001 Focus ZX3 will sputter, lose power, and threaten to stall. This occurs at any speed. It has stalled and left me stranded once. When towed to the dealership, nothing could be found wrong with it and so I was charged nothing. It started up again just fine, but periodically threatens to stall again. Also, the paint over the driver side rear wheel is bubbling up and coming off.

- New London, NH, USA

Apr 252003

Focus 4-cyl

Failure of manufacturer to repair car under warranty to my satisfaction.

- Vernon, NJ, USA

Aug 142002

Focus

While applying the brakes there was a squeaking noise coming from the front/rear of the vehicle. The pedal had gone down and made a squeak noise. The front end bounced and vibrated due to the pinch bolt that retained the steering knuckled to the lower ball joint. (may not have the proper torque) there was a problem with the front end and rear. The wheel was replaced, the flat tire was balanced and the beam worked okay. The vehicle made noise when released from park mode, stop, and was intermittent. (has been adjust 3-4 times but would go back to the same thing)

- Tega Cay, SC, USA

Sep 302002

Focus

Letter to follow containing complete complaint. ***dimsii IVOQ entry posted after 12/12/02 cut-over to artemis*****769748

- Newark, DE, USA

Mar 192003

Focus

As a result of an accident I must have both head light assemblies and the front bumper replaced on my 2001 Focus. My insurance company insists that it will only pay for after market parts, not oem parts. Further, they tell me the after market parts carry no certification that they are equal to the oem parts. I would not feel safe using parts that are safety related that cannot be certified to be of the same kind and type as originally installed. Does NHTSA have a position of the use of non-oem safety parts in the repair of an automobile?

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jan 132003

Focus 4-cyl

On my way to school this evening all my electrical things in the car started flickering and then smoke started to come out of my vents. I pulled over immediatly, while someone was yelling at me get out of your car. I got out and saw that smoke was coming out of my whole entire hood area. Then it went up in flames, melting through the hood, scattering my windshield.

- Puyallup, WA, USA